News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R11/W02: 06-16-1995 Walnut Creek Amphitheater, Raleigh, NC

Started by PIE-GUY, January 16, 2011, 04:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on January 24, 2011, 05:26:09 PM
He seems to be using a light bit of chorus effect more this show than usual, no?

So, I have always assumed that he got that buttery under-water sound from the Leslie speaker in his stack. Am I wrong about that? Whatever it is he used it all over the place in the summer of 95. Never got old for me, either.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: PIE-GUY on January 24, 2011, 05:50:29 PM
He seems to be using a light bit of chorus effect more this show than usual, no?

So, I have always assumed that he got that buttery under-water sound from the Leslie speaker in his stack. Am I wrong about that? Whatever it is he used it all over the place in the summer of 95. Never got old for me, either.

Yeah, you're probably right -- I'm not sure how he does it.

Whatever it is, I love it.
Bring in the dude!

PIE-GUY

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on January 24, 2011, 05:53:31 PM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on January 24, 2011, 05:50:29 PM

Yeah, you're probably right -- I'm not sure how he does it.

Whatever it is, I love it.

indeed - and I realize how gay this sounds, but you have to listen to 7/2/95 and hear the craziness of Ha Ha Ha melt into Sleeping Monkey... that Leslie speaker just feels like a hug.

G. Augusto

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

G. Augusto

PIE-GUY

Quote from: G. Augusto on January 24, 2011, 05:58:38 PM
Damn right that sounds gay!

Artie Lange's reaction to the Bababooey pitch at the Mets game last summer: "That might be the gayest thing I've ever seen and I once saw a guy blow another guy."

sophist

That's a phaser, not a chorus pedal.  At least that's how I've always heard it.  Phaser + wah = Trey's butter.  Correct me if I'm wrong here. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

rowjimmy

The leslie is so blantly in effect on this shit... I too love it.

I love being able to say that Trey uses it more tastefully that Mr. "Leslie" Warren Haynes, too.

Anyway:

I haven't heard this in ages...

Haley's > DWD is a great start and Esther is dreamy and the Ya Mar had me feeling like jumping around.
Cry Baby Cry is nice. It's Ice is ripping.
The MMGAMOIO, DFB > Catapult segment is classic fun Phish.
Split is ripping psychedelia. Love it.

Woah, Runaway Jim... I remember hearing about this as we awaited the first set the next night. People were alternating between stunned and giddy when talking about how the tour had been going. By 8 or 9 minutes you can hear this swerving out into traffic. Fish is all a-flurry under Trey's shredding. The volume chills down after 10 mins or so... Isn't Trey teasing It's Ice ~13mins? shit gets bent and out there and we land in the whisper zone briefly. then shit starts picking up again while still odd. Trey gets hit Free tone on but there's still a few minutes of Fish going berserk on the skins before Trey hits the chord. Then they all quickly fall in line.

Free is still so new but what a breath of air after the deep space of Jim. First time I heard this song (on a tape of this show later in the summer) I fell for it.

Carolina - how quaint

YEM is a pseudo-monster. It would just be an ordinary (for 95) awesome YEM but it has this little break where they trot out the fiddle player from a band that was on the verge of commercially eclipsing the entire jam-band movement from whence they came. His solo is ok and a nice change-up but then Trey tears the fucking place apart so even if it's not easily forgotten that Tinsley played, you tend to forget how he played. then Mike gets all shrage-y on his solo. I think I like this one more than Trey's. Vocal Jam hearkens back to the quiet jam of Jim.

Coil is typical awesome.

Axis is is a killer close to a great show.

Great, pick, dude. Thanks for prompting me to revisit this show.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Just wanted to corroborate and say that "yes, it is the Leslie."

McGrupp

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on January 25, 2011, 12:03:34 PM
Just wanted to corroborate and say that "yes, it is the Leslie."

This. Phaser? Chorus? What is all this witchcraft?
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

mbw

R11/W02: 06-16-1995 Walnut Creek Amphitheater, Raleigh, NC

I
Halleys - Not too noteworthy but a fun start.

DWD - Mike is sounding thick on this source.  Quick little jam with some nice effects from Trey.   Solid, just could/should have gone on a little longer.

Esther - Whaaa?  One of the great things about this tune is you never see it coming.  Played well enough.

YaMar - Definitely a summer first set so far.  Page was killing till Mike cut him off.  Fish is a beast throughout.

Cry Baby Cry - Great song, didn't work all that well here imo.

Ice - Some wicked work by Page on the piano.  Creepy accompaniment from Trey and Mike.  Quick pop back into Ice from Fish.  Good stuff.

My Mind - yup.

SOAM Dog Faced Boy > Catapult - Oooohhhh weeee, what up with that?  I imagine Trey giving Fish the throat slit gesture.  That was fun, but yeah...

SOAMelt - The fall into some nice off rhythm goo jamming which I liked.  I can picture the sun setting behind them playing giving a glimpse of whats to come in the second set.  Trey's effects, I guess they are called 'Leslie,' are dope.  Trey and Mike ser connect and this one pops off for a while until the bring it back to Earth with  a fast, mind fuck of an ending.  Displays how they could all confidently go off in different directions yet keep it together back then, something they are scared shitless of now.  Great Melt.

II
Jim - Have I ever mentioned this is my favorite way to start a set?  It is.  Fishmans hi-hat/snare work and driving bass does it for me every time.  Dark gelatinous jamming to start off.  Digging the group dynamic and craziness of this Jim-Jam.  Trey starts pulling some magic out of his hat.  Can't quite hear what he is chanting over some badass Jim lines.   Great Page work around the 20 minute mark.  "Whoooaaa doggie, so far from home..."  Exactly.  The end of this Jim kinda made me want to kill someone, in a good way.... >

Free - Nice segue outta the space.  95 Jim > Free = <3.  Starts out pretty mellow, but keeps with the great group dynamic craziness.  Pre-loops, but that ok.  At least its not a 2.0 and beyond suck Free.

Carolina - I could think of finer....

YEM - Standard beginning if not a little sloppy.  DMB guy's solo gets a resounding 'Meh" from me.  They whip this into a nice little frenzy after he exits.  A fast yet soft and punchy B&D transpires which is the highlight of this YEM. Don't stop Mike!  Lol at Fish in the vocal jam, singing 'Loving You.'

Coil - Chalk-up another flawless victory for Page.

E
Bold As Love - A well deserved Page highlight, and great way to end the show.

Well done.  Thanks for the listen, giving it a B+