News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R1/W14: 12-01-1994 Salem Armory, Salem, OR

Started by sophist, August 14, 2006, 08:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jephrey

YSI/SS?  I have this one archived and didn't break it out so I could use the compressed ones.

Thanks,

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

sophist

I'll try to have them up soon, but something more important came up.  My grandfather passed away yesterday, so thats my main focus for the the next few days, but I'll have the ysi/ss done by tomorrow (you have my word on that).
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

thelot

One of my favorites from this tour, if not for the 2nd set alone.

Set I:
Fast Enough>: Nice Trey solo
Maze: Rippin'!
Split Open: SICK!!!! :-o

Set II:
Peaches: :beers:
Mound: :banana:
Tweezer>: HOT!
BBFCFM>: Raging!
Makisupa>: Great version! 2nd of 3 versions played on this tour.
NICU>: Solid! 3rd and final version of the tour.
Tweezer>: :banana:
Jesus Left>: Awesome version! Also 2nd of 3 versions played on this tour.
Hood: Beautiful!!! :clap:

Awesome show! I give it a 4.3 out 5 for this tour

gainesvillegreen

sls.stormyrider

best wished to you and your family, phan
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

thelot

sorry for your loss phan, best wishes.

jephrey

Ouch, yeah, take your time.

Condolences  :cry:

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

August

Quote from: phan003 on August 15, 2006, 11:29:32 AM
I'll try to have them up soon, but something more important came up.  My grandfather passed away yesterday, so thats my main focus for the the next few days, but I'll have the ysi/ss done by tomorrow (you have my word on that).

sorry to hear, phan.
i will take of it for you.
a

birdman

Best wishes for you and your family, Phan.

[/quote]

sorry to hear, phan.
a
[/quote]
Week4paug always has your back...
Paug FTMFW!

August

susep

phan, best wishes to you and your loved ones.  

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: august on August 15, 2006, 02:11:40 PM
Quote from: phan003 on August 15, 2006, 11:29:32 AM

sorry to hear, phan.
a

Holy crap!  I knew you had "connections" and everything...but avenging his grandfathers death!?  THAT IS HARDCORE!

Don't eff with the 'paug!

And Phan, my condolences as well.  My mom's father died 4 years ago, and it was rough.

antelope19

Sorry to hear it phan, I went through the same situation about this time last year. 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

susep

Sample opener>a splash of Hoist>nice solo, sonic.  Pen giving the largely rural Oregon its due>nice break at 2:00.  As a friend once advised me, variety is key.  Tranquility begins FEFY(a tune written about trying to maintain relationships while touring)>does Trey's solo mimic what he and his bandmates will do to their ladies when they finish tour?!? :-D  Trey gaining lots of sustain and power/choices, outro>...nice choice, Maze, countdown to liftoff begins, fits well thematically and musically w/ FE's outro series>Trey is in full command>Page drops in, Trey lurking underneath, subtlely approaching his lift while Page crescends, lock>Trey jumps off a cliff, ripping, atonal Trey meanderings>8:30 cool effect>more effects, Stash-esque peaks/crescendos>.
Guyute>quiet opening, song a build-up of opening 2 sing along numbers fused w/ the 2 previous sonic explorations.
IDK, again variety, their barbershop harmonies are excellent>
Melt>comes charging out, Mike sounding inspired>Trey w/ a different rythym style coming out of this one, darker expressions, straight tension from the outset>hints of Melt's regular key, Trey begins riffing again in a still darker approach, the band behind adapting and intensifying before a metal-esque jam ensues>interesting music nonetheless, a very cool jam 8:45 develops>swirling chaos, tornadic or volcanic(i.e. see the previous nights Antelope), ending comes together in classic Melt fashion w/ hints of previous dissonance>good version, Trey adding a bit at the end, very experimental, it pays off.  Adeline>ah yes sweet 'ol americana> this set reminded me of '69-70 GD shows from Oregon.

note: set 1 review is from an Aud. source, set 2 is from a SBD>Cass.

Peaches>always good to hear>Mound>Tweezer>(epoch tour for this one)>jam begins w/ a Fish pulse and light Page on keys before he switches to clav>Mike adding some mini- bombs, quite funky for Fall '94, great sound>Trey adding some dissonant chords into melodic improv>definitely a 2 chord or I-V feel, chugging along>sharp chording>consonnance is expressed but only briefly>caught in a line>escape ensues, frantic, uncertain air, deeper waters>rest, rest, rest, off the asymptote>grunge/metal>Trey coming in melodically, nice jam ensues>earth rattling, the subduction zone is careening into an event>screaming, run for your life>tidal wave>earth quake>volcanic eruption>nature rolls on(Fish 17:00)>gray skies emerge a light>gases clearing, a peaceful calm covers the landscape>and the cycle continues, Trey evoking archaic signs, a tribute to the beauty that surrounds>Norwegian quote>BBFCFM>rager about getting off work>more raging, unique version, vocal playness shift into music play-off>Maki slides in, nice bass line by Mike(excellent), "smoke a little herb">Mike back to his traditional bass line, >NICU, active, solid>Trey sings w/ much enthusiasm, lead action>creative run, Trey bending his way into a neat jam>back into Tweezer groove nice jam here as well>Bomb factory reprise into Jesus, I'd take this set 2 over 7May anyday>poignant variety choice>blues house>Hood>another "having a great year" heavy hitter>a Trey on acid composition>beauty>soaring eagle, the Cascades, early winter quietness>the immense Pacific and shore>what lies above reflects the processes of underneath>high above the River, sailing along, Slavie>Trey unleashes, band crescending(well rehearsed by this point), last hints of dissonance>nice outro jamming>

Great show in a period of many great shows>quite a difference between June/July and Fall '94>pHISh was playing off the hook, taking big risks but coming up successful(see this Melt). 

Grade: solid A-

jedifunk

great review susep!  i wish thats how it came across when i actually saw this show (again my 1st), but all i could think & muster that night was :o
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio