News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2016-08-28 Lockn' - Arrington, VA

Started by ph92, August 28, 2016, 08:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthrax

Quote from: Caravan2001 on August 28, 2016, 09:37:15 PM
Quote from: PGLHAH on August 28, 2016, 09:27:48 PM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on August 28, 2016, 09:26:26 PM
Quote from: PGLHAH on August 28, 2016, 09:05:41 PM
Quote from: ytowndan on August 28, 2016, 09:04:14 PM
Is it choppy as hell for anyone else?

Nope. But there are several different stream choices to try...

Fans.com
Nugs.net
Livephish.com
Qello?

Qello has been working great through Apple TV all weekend.

It's on Amazon FireTV, too... unfortunately, Phish is banned from my big-screen unless my wife is asleep or out of the house.

Watching on my desktop monitor.

Isn't she feeling a little tired  :wink:
Have some more turkey and red wine, dear.

Caravan2001

Not bad for a festy set.  Better than the last first set...

ytowndan

Quote from: anthrax on August 28, 2016, 09:52:04 PM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on August 28, 2016, 09:37:15 PM
Quote from: PGLHAH on August 28, 2016, 09:27:48 PM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on August 28, 2016, 09:26:26 PM
Quote from: PGLHAH on August 28, 2016, 09:05:41 PM
Quote from: ytowndan on August 28, 2016, 09:04:14 PM
Is it choppy as hell for anyone else?

Nope. But there are several different stream choices to try...

Fans.com
Nugs.net
Livephish.com
Qello?

Qello has been working great through Apple TV all weekend.

It's on Amazon FireTV, too... unfortunately, Phish is banned from my big-screen unless my wife is asleep or out of the house.

Watching on my desktop monitor.

Isn't she feeling a little tired  :wink:
Have some more turkey and red wine, dear.

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

Gundo

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on August 28, 2016, 09:44:09 PM
Quote from: EdBanky on August 28, 2016, 09:11:42 PM
WHat that fuck? Unfinished Bag into FYF?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but is the effect Trey's been using for alot of his solos lately the echoplex. It's like a real deep muddy sound. When I hear the word echoplex I think of 1977 garcia. This sounds different than that

Basically what he used for his whole first solo of this 46 days

For the first 46 Days jam, Trey had 3 things going:  his whammy pedal set to an octave down, his wah pedal turned on, as well as his univibe.  It gives it a very wet, soupy, growly sound.

The echoplex unit is what he plays with during Mike's Song jams now, and Tube jams.  You'll hear the repeating echoes.  You'll see him go over to the table to his right and adjust what I'm assuming is the delay time setting, because for whatever retarded reason he doesn't have a tap-tempo footswitch apparently?  I'm not sure. 

When you think of 1977 Garcia, you are thinking of his Mutron effect.  The Estimated Prophet/Shakedown Street sound.  Trey uses it less so this year than he did last year, but you'll hear it pop up in No Men's Land or other random places.
Cool, those three together are just downright scary. And the mutron effect is definitely what I was thinking of instead of the echoplex

Gumbo72203

Quote from: EdBanky on August 28, 2016, 10:01:45 PM

Correct me if i'm wrong, but is the effect Trey's been using for alot of his solos lately the echoplex. It's like a real deep muddy sound. When I hear the word echoplex I think of 1977 garcia. This sounds different than that

For the first 46 Days jam, Trey had 3 things going:  his whammy pedal set to an octave down, his wah pedal turned on, as well as his univibe.  It gives it a very wet, soupy, growly sound.

The echoplex unit is what he plays with during Mike's Song jams now, and Tube jams.  You'll hear the repeating echoes.  You'll see him go over to the table to his right and adjust what I'm assuming is the delay time setting, because for whatever retarded reason he doesn't have a tap-tempo footswitch apparently?  I'm not sure. 

When you think of 1977 Garcia, you are thinking of his Mutron effect.  The Estimated Prophet/Shakedown Street sound.  Trey uses it less so this year than he did last year, but you'll hear it pop up in No Men's Land or other random places.
Cool, those three together are just downright scary. And the mutron effect is definitely what I was thinking of instead of the echoplex

Ohhhhh yeah.  Trey put that combination to really good use in the 2/28/03 Tweezer during the early part of the jam.  He even rocks his wah pedal forward so you actually get a legit growl sound.  I think its in the 2/20/03 Tweezer as well, I can never remember.  It's this one super distinct sound I'll never forget haha.  And he throws a little delay on it too, so the growl repeats back just a little.  So gnarly. 

He overused that combo during the SPAC run this year though, and it just wasn't working.  Timing and placement is everything.  Subtle little things.  Like the Chula Vista Hood, Trey turns his reverse delay on for the start of the jam (like what he uses at the start of First Tube jams) and it makes it SO fucking cool. 

But yeah:  Mutron is the auto-wah sound that gives every note an extra thwacky beeeoooop kind of noise to it.  The Echoplex makes it go CHHHKK-chhkkk-chhkkk-chhkkk  Bwaaap-waap-waap-waap  Chucka-ucka-ucka-ucka
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

ph92

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on August 28, 2016, 10:12:58 PM
Quote from: EdBanky on August 28, 2016, 10:01:45 PM

Ohhhhh yeah.  Trey put that combination to really good use in the 2/28/03 Tweezer during the early part of the jam.  He even rocks his wah pedal forward so you actually get a legit growl sound.  I think its in the 2/20/03 Tweezer as well, I can never remember.  It's this one super distinct sound I'll never forget haha.  And he throws a little delay on it too, so the growl repeats back just a little.  So gnarly. 

He overused that combo during the SPAC run this year though, and it just wasn't working.  Timing and placement is everything.  Subtle little things.  Like the Chula Vista Hood, Trey turns his reverse delay on for the start of the jam (like what he uses at the start of First Tube jams) and it makes it SO fucking cool. 

But yeah:  Mutron is the auto-wah sound that gives every note an extra thwacky beeeoooop kind of noise to it.  The Echoplex makes it go CHHHKK-chhkkk-chhkkk-chhkkk  Bwaaap-waap-waap-waap  Chucka-ucka-ucka-ucka
You're the best Gumbo!
You got me all curious so I went and looked up these sounds. Do you play guitar yourself? Or do you just know tons about gear?

Can I hear a C&P opener?
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

PIE-GUY

Loving that Phish has the clout to say tell Shapiro "we'll use your platforms, but we own our portion of the Webcast."

Notice there are no fans.com ads running during setbreak?

Suck it!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

VA $l!m

best part of watchin a show from home-- cereal.
in fact, that'd bea great idea - a cereal bar @ a show... mmmmm milk.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

ph92

Loving that grimy tone.

This Carini is different for sure! I'm digging it.
Make America Melt Again!

Gumbo72203

wait what the fuck just happened?????  It was Chalkdust, my shit froze, and then it's Twist?!?!

%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

VA $l!m

i dont know what it is, but trey sounds a billion times better these two shows ive watched than when i stopped listenin to 3.0 a couple yeras ago.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

ph92

That was a really rad segue!! Was wondering if they were gonna second jam CDT to some kind of space jam. Either way that was pretty cool!
Make America Melt Again!

Gumbo72203

Quote from: ph92 on August 28, 2016, 10:15:45 PM
You're the best Gumbo!
You got me all curious so I went and looked up these sounds. Do you play guitar yourself? Or do you just know tons about gear?

Can I hear a C&P opener?

Haha yeah I play guitar.  I know a decent bit of gear; much less than when I was younger and ridiculously obsessed with this stuff.  I'm kind of over guitar playing a little bit.  It's a weird place.  Like, I can do it and I'm good at it, but it doesn't excite me nearly as much as when I was younger.

Gumbo72203

Quote from: ph92 on August 28, 2016, 10:41:08 PM
That was a really rad segue!! Was wondering if they were gonna second jam CDT to some kind of space jam. Either way that was pretty cool!

fuuuuuuuck I missed it because my stream fucked up.  It froze during the last Chalkdust chorus, before the jam, and then when I refreshed the page, it was into that spacey Twist intro.  I must have missed like 5 minutes of music?  Was Chalkdust long?  That was so weird.

ytowndan

Quote from: VA $l!m on August 28, 2016, 10:40:56 PM
i dont know what it is, but trey sounds a billion times better these two shows ive watched than when i stopped listenin to 3.0 a couple yeras ago.

All that practice for FTW.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.