News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Favorite Movie Directors ?!?!

Started by crnl4bn, February 14, 2005, 02:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crnl4bn

Not to toot my own horn, but I consider myself to be a "good" movie buff...

by "good," i mean that i don't like movies that are bad, and won't claim to know anything about movies that suck

-- although the words "suck" and "good" are completely relative/subjective like most anything in this world...

==============
My Favorite Directiors|
==============

1) Stanley Kubrick (unparalled in asthetic presentation)
2) Woody Allen (few comedians, much less directors, reside in this guy's comedic echelon)
3) Akira Kurosawa (watch some of this guys movies, and all will become evident -- not to mention that directors such as: Spielberg, Lucas, Scorcese, etc... List this guy as their main directorial influence)
http://db.etree.org/flavaflav

This opportune physical form
Is worth more than a wish-granting gem.
You only gain its like the once.
So hard to get, so easily destroyed,
It's like a lightning bolt in the sky.

Contemplate this, and you will realize
All worldly actions are but winnowed chaff,
And night and day you must
Extract some essence from your life.
I, the yogi, practiced this way;
You, wanting liberation, do the same!

- Lord Tsongkhapa, King of the Dharma

mopper_smurf

Big names, but how about:

Joel and Ethan Coen
Jim Jarmusch
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

jephrey

I'm going with the Coens because of The Big Lebowski which is my favorite movie.  With the little I know about movie making, I think direction had a lot to do with its quality.

-Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

shaft

Quote from: crnl4bn3) Akira Kurosawa (watch some of this guys movies, and all will become evident

I'll second that. Kurosawa's a master.

I'm also a big Hitchcock fan. Suspense is a lost genre, and Hitch was the best.

My current day favorite is David O. Russell. Wes Anderson too.

Guyute

the Big Lebowski is a favorite of mine too.

I hate to admint it, but really enjoy Kevin Smith.  Did Clerks on a $28,000 budget.
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

ucusty

woody allen is done all his movies from the last 5 years have blown,  he is the ultimate creep too.

rowjimmy

In no particular order and deliberately not repeating those above (whom I also like):

Jean-Pierre Jeunet  
Directed: Delicatessen, City Of lost children, Alien: Ressurection (ok, lets overlook that one), Amelie...
He has terrific vision and a unique style that agrees with me.

Terry Gilliam
Directed: Monty Python & The Holy Grail, Time Bandits, Monty python's Meaning of life, Brazil, The fisher King, 12 Monkeys, Fear and loathing in Las Vegas, and he turned down Braveheart. (for that last bit alone you should love him)
Again, terrific and unique vision. Shit, dude was in Monty Python!

Martin Scorsese
Directed: Umm, you oughta know this. Lemme give you the big ones (for my taste,) Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Mean Streets,  The Last Waltz (ok that was a bit of an overblown Robbie Robertson Cocaine trip but hey.. Thats Rock & Roll!), Goodfellas, etc etc etc.
Super Genius at one time. No, I haven't seen The Aviator but, by and large I think the quality of his output has declined over the years.

and a young favorite:
Paul Thomas Anderson
Directed: Boogie Nights, Magnolia, Punch Drunk Love
this guy can write and direct, imo. He's not super prolific but, thats possibly for the best. When (if?) he puts out another film, I'll line up to see it.

bellybuttonfunk

Though he's still relatively young, with each movie I gain more and more respect for Wes Anderson.  Rushmore is a beautiful movie and one of my all time favorites, though I have yet to be disappointed by anything Wes has done.