News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

The Road to November

Started by bluecaravan521, January 14, 2008, 10:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluecaravan521

Obama vs. McCain

* August 25-28: Democratic National Convention in Denver, Colorado

* September 1-4: Republican National Convention in Minneapolis-St.

* November 4: Election Day!!

www.barackobama.com
www.johnmccain.com
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...

kellerb

good call!  Can we get this Pinned until november or so?

bluecaravan521

So the Democrats have boycotted Michigan? Can anyone explain this to me?
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...

sls.stormyrider

Romney's home state. enough said :wink:

Michigan violated rules by moving up the primary, so as punishment the party said they won't allow their delegates to count.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

rowjimmy

They threatened to do that to DC. DC caved.

Declan

Romney seems like a smart guy until you hear him talk  :mrgreen:
Quote from: rowjimmy on November 17, 2005, 10:00:20 AM

I've been racking my brains, running through my record collection in my mind to tell you what records are my secret shame and I've decided i have none. I love everything I own and am proud of it. Music should bring joy, not guilt.

rowjimmy

Here's a link you guys might find useful & informative:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/interactives/campaign08/toolbox.html?hpid=topnews
It's the Washington Post's Campaign 08 toolbox.

In particular, the Primary & Caucus Tally, Calendar & Map:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/interactives/campaign08/primaries/

bluecaravan521

I was talking to a buddy of mine whose dad works for the Obama campaign, and he said that his dad has been hearing that if Obama were to win the ticket it would be Obama/Edwards...and that sounds like an amazing duo to me.  Thoughts?

sunrisevt

I'll take any two of the three front-runners plus Kucinich, in any combination. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Richardson's name get floated as a potential VP (or Cabinet member). I'm starting to lean more towards Hillary, though, to be honest. Obama's feeling a little young, a little cocky, and a little to the right of the others.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

bluecaravan521

Quote from: sunrisevt on January 16, 2008, 03:59:05 PM
Obama's feeling a little young, a little cocky, and a little to the right of the others.

Would you mind elaborating? I'm interested to hear what you mean.

sophist

Quote from: bluecaravan521 on January 16, 2008, 03:53:22 PM
I was talking to a buddy of mine whose dad works for the Obama campaign, and he said that his dad has been hearing that if Obama were to win the ticket it would be Obama/Edwards...and that sounds like an amazing duo to me.  Thoughts?
no.  Edwards is part of the problem, not the solution.  Also, I don't mean his politics, just the fact that he is the stereotypical politician. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

sunrisevt

Quote from: bluecaravan521 on January 16, 2008, 04:18:03 PM
Obama's feeling a little young, a little cocky, and a little to the right of the others.

Now remember, I'll vote for any of these guys over whatever Republican they pick. That's no contest. And I've wavered between Hillary & Obama ever since they emergerd as the front-runners. Basically, this is my thinking this week. That said...

OK, about young--Obama is young, and not as seasoned as Hillary. While she wasn't elected to the posotion of first lady, she took the most active policy role of any first lady in history, to some good effect. And she took worlds of hateful shit for it, and stood up to it all with some class. Obama, on the other hand, has only been in the Senate for three years to Clinton's seven), and hasn't amassed a particulary distinguished record. He's been running for President the whole time.

Cocky--in front of a crowd, he oozes it. I guess this depends on my perception of him as a little young. He just doesn't seem to have earned it.

But the big one--his policy proposals are all starting to feel like coy, centrist-Democrat come-ons to conservatives. He's aiming for the center, hence all his "purple state" talk. Not a bad idea to get elected, especially as a younger, non-white candidate. But I'm not sure that's what I want in our next president.

Also, partially in answer to bluecaravan's question, and for general political information--

www.vote-smart.org

Excellent resource.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

sophist

Quote from: sunrisevt on January 16, 2008, 05:07:10 PM
Quote from: bluecaravan521 on January 16, 2008, 04:18:03 PM

Now remember, I'll vote for any of these guys over whatever Republican they pick. That's no contest. And I've wavered between Hillary & Obama ever since they emergerd as the front-runners. Basically, this is my thinking this week. That said...

OK, about young--Obama is young, and not as seasoned as Hillary. While she wasn't elected to the posotion of first lady, she took the most active policy role of any first lady in history, to some good effect. And she took worlds of hateful shit for it, and stood up to it all with some class. Obama, on the other hand, has only been in the Senate for three years to Clinton's seven), and hasn't amassed a particulary distinguished record. He's been running for President the whole time.

Cocky--in front of a crowd, he oozes it. I guess this depends on my perception of him as a little young. He just doesn't seem to have earned it.

But the big one--his policy proposals are all starting to feel like coy, centrist-Democrat come-ons to conservatives. He's aiming for the center, hence all his "purple state" talk. Not a bad idea to get elected, especially as a younger, non-white candidate. But I'm not sure that's what I want in our next president.

Also, partially in answer to bluecaravan's question, and for general political information--

www.vote-smart.org

Excellent resource.
Hillary is a one term senator.  She didn't attend ONE MEETING WITH BILL while he was president.  This has been well documented.  She has no experience with foreign politics, and little experience with domestic politics.  She is the least active senator in the whole country.  She has submitted less than 5 bills in six years of office.  Her health care "run" was her only relevant attempt to be involved while Bill was in office.  Meeting with the wives of other presidents isn't politics, its just an obligation.  So please provide a better argument for why you back Hillary.  Her experience claim doesn't match the facts. 

http://www.slate.com/id/2182073/ 

http://zennie2005.blogspot.com/2007/12/ny-times-slams-hillary-clintons.html

QuoteBut during those two terms in the White House, Mrs. Clinton did not hold a security clearance. She did not attend National Security Council meetings. She was not given a copy of the president's daily intelligence briefing. She did not assert herself on the crises in Somalia, Haiti and Rwanda.

And during one of President Bill Clinton's major tests on terrorism, whether to bomb Afghanistan and Sudan in 1998, Mrs. Clinton was barely speaking to her husband, let alone advising him, as the Lewinsky scandal sizzled.
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

sls.stormyrider

I'll take any two of the three front-runners plus Kucinich, in any combination. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Richardson's name get floated as a potential VP (or Cabinet member). I'm starting to lean more towards Hillary, though, to be honest. Obama's feeling a little young, a little cocky, and a little to the right of the others.
I was thinking that watching the NH debate. Edwards seemed to be trying to score points with Obama.

couple other thoughts on  above comments.
None of the Dems can match McCain for experience. Romney was a 1 term governor, much of that in abstentia as he started to run for pres several years ago. Huckabee was a 2 term gov, so I don't think he has any major experience issues over the others.

Hillary was on the armed svc committe, both Hillary and Barack on the foreign affairs committe, so they do have more foreign affairs experience than everyone except McCain. Even Newt praised Hillary for her work across the aisle in co sponsoring legislation (I forget what it was), but you won't hear him talking about it now. Hillary also made a point of becoming familiar with the Pentagon.

As far as the issues go, all 3 Dems (sorry Dennis) are quite similar. Watching the debate from Vegas last night, they talked about their major differences but when they answered the questions the differences were minor.
Hillary answered things a bit more completely and came off more knowledgable last night, imo.

Personally, I'm leaning towards Obama, partly because I think Hillary incites anger in many republicans, including the moderates who might vote dem. Partly cause Obama did something I admire - he told people what they didn't want to hear. He spoke in front of the teachers union and said tenure should be out, merit should be in. He went to Detroit and spoke about emissions standards. That kind of attitude is rare in politics.
I'm staying open minded, but at least for now that's how I'm leaning.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

bluecaravan521

Quote from: slslbs on January 16, 2008, 06:03:30 PM
Personally, I'm leaning towards Obama, partly because I think Hillary incites anger in many republicans, including the moderates who might vote dem. Partly cause Obama did something I admire - he told people what they didn't want to hear. He spoke in front of the teachers union and said tenure should be out, merit should be in. He went to Detroit and spoke about emissions standards. That kind of attitude is rare in politics.
I'm staying open minded, but at least for now that's how I'm leaning.

I would really have to agree with the anger factor, which has gone into some of my decision.  Its so easy to hate her...being raised by Republicans I HATED HER...lived in NY when she was elected, picked up on a ton of hatred.  I've since then confronted that hatred, but its still a huge factor in the election.

Regarding experience- its not as big of a factor for me as others make it sound...I think every candidate (minus Thompson) is more than qualified intellectuall to run the country, and I look at it as more of a matter of what they would do in power, how much respect they would command, etc.  I think that as president Obama would command a lot of respect among the Congress, while I'm not as sure about Hillary....who knows though, I haven't been 100% sold on anyone yet.