News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Sotomayor Hearings start today...

Started by PIE-GUY, July 13, 2009, 09:16:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

Nothing to add at the moment, but I will be following and am very curious on this one. I truly hope she gets through!!

a good preview: http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/13/the-sotomayor-hearings-what-to-watch-for/?hp

Thoughts?
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

gah

Here's what I got:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_sotomayor_senate

QuoteDespite Republican misgivings, Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., told Sotomayor, "Unless you have a complete meltdown, you're going to get confirmed.

"And I don't think you will" have a meltdown, he added quickly as Sotomayor sat listening, her face in a half-smile.

Quote"Let no one demean this extraordinary woman," Leahy said in a warning to committee Republicans to tread lightly in the days ahead.

QuoteIn the Senate as a whole, there was no talk of a filibuster, under which Republicans would attempt to block a vote on her nomination. Instead, barring a gaffe of major proportions, as Graham said, Sotomayor seemed on her way to confirmation even before Leahy rapped the opening gavel.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

PIE-GUY

I listened to a bit of the opening statements today - good stuff, most of it. Graham especially. He basically said "I supported McCain throughout the campaign, but we lost, so I must accept that Obama's nomination to the Court will not be someone I agree with. As long as they are qualified, I must accept them."

that was pretty cool to see.

fauxpaxfauxreal

She's a lame pick.

I hate the racial politics going into this pick... It's almost like the Administration has basically said "we want to make a hardcore leftist pick for all the wrong reasons but she'll get in because no one can afford to block a Latina..."

She'll totally get confirmed tho.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: PIE-GUY on July 13, 2009, 02:34:24 PM
I listened to a bit of the opening statements today - good stuff, most of it. Graham especially. He basically said "I supported McCain throughout the campaign, but we lost, so I must accept that Obama's nomination to the Court will not be someone I agree with. As long as they are qualified, I must accept them."

that was pretty cool to see.

awesome. someone in Congress gets it.

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on July 13, 2009, 02:39:54 PM
She's a lame pick.

I hate the racial politics going into this pick... It's almost like the Administration has basically said "we want to make a hardcore leftist pick for all the wrong reasons but she'll get in because no one can afford to block a Latina..."

She'll totally get confirmed tho.
She IS well qualified, regardless of national origin. George W Bush appointed her to the bench, which also would make it tough for the GOP to bring her down.  She is, in fact, NOT a hard core leftist. She's been a star her entire academic and professional life. I personally don't agree with her decision on New Haven, but that doesn't take away from her qualifications.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

fauxpaxfauxreal

She IS well qualified, regardless of national origin. George W Bush appointed her to the bench, which also would make it tough for the GOP to bring her down.  She is, in fact, NOT a hard core leftist. She's been a star her entire academic and professional life. I personally don't agree with her decision on New Haven, but that doesn't take away from her qualifications.

I should have extrapolated on my earlier point.  She's a leftist when in my opinion she doesn't need to be, and she's conservative when she definitely shouldn't be.

She may be qualified, but I can't think of a less desirable choice that would be acceptable to the general public.

Boo Barack, Boo.

whyweigh5.0

I feel like a doof not knowing what you people are talking about.  I've been living under a rock for the past month
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

Superfreakie

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on July 13, 2009, 09:50:16 PM

I should have extrapolated on my earlier point.  She's a leftist when in my opinion she doesn't need to be, and she's conservative when she definitely shouldn't be.

She may be qualified, but I can't think of a less desirable choice that would be acceptable to the general public.

Boo Barack, Boo.

As someone who has studied and continues to study law, I may be slightly partial in how I view this appointment (also consider I am Canadian). That being said Fauxpax, I suggest you do a little research into this woman's background of successes and achievements. Is she Hispanic, yes; a woman, yes; is it a political decision, it ALWAYS is. But she is an absolute monster when it comes to what she has achieved and the breadth of her study and practice is truly remarkable. And no, I am not going to list her achievements, but suffice to say that, without question, this woman might just be one of the most qualified justices EVER nominated to your Supreme bench.

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on July 13, 2009, 09:50:16 PM
She's a leftist when in my opinion she doesn't need to be, and she's conservative when she definitely shouldn't be.

This is confusingly oxymoronic, so I will do my best to clarify her leanings. If you think she is a leftist, she is not in the least. Nor is she a conservative. She is a centrist who observes the written law more than the majority of judges who sit on your bench. Peruse her decisions and writings. And if you are concentrating your argument on the firemen's case, then you only have a vague topographical idea as to why she sided the way she did. Her argument was based entirely on the law of the city and its jurisdictional power, and not what race the individuals were. She ruled in accordance with the pure law of the city. Please, do yourself a favor, turn off Lou Dobbs and do some research because this: "but I can't think of a less desirable choice that would be acceptable to the general public." is downright foolish at best. And while considering her achievements, contrast them against Thomas or Scalia and some of their idiocies and political posturing. Thomas is a straight up embarrassment.

For those of you interested in the Supreme Court, I recommend Jeffrey Toobin's (CNN Senior Legal Analyst) The Nine: Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court. Nice, interesting read.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

gah

PIE-GUY

Quote from: goodabouthood on July 14, 2009, 10:00:50 AM
Nice retort superfreakie.  :clap:

I stopped reading after "I am Canadian." Did he say anything good?

gah

Quote from: PIE-GUY on July 14, 2009, 10:10:33 AM
Nice retort superfreakie.  :clap:

I stopped reading after "I am Canadian." Did he say anything good?

:lol: He did, but yes, I do suppose that statement could possibly negate anything written afterwards.  :lol:

sls.stormyrider

I don't think he's a real Canadian.
The word of "eh" wasn't used at all in his argument. (sorry if I spelled it incorrectly)

:wink:

Nice retort superfreakie.  :clap:
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

PIE-GUY

Quote from: slslbs on July 14, 2009, 10:27:57 AM
I don't think he's a real Canadian.
There wasn't the use of "eh" in his argument.

:wink:

Why would anyone claim to be Canadian when their not - unless, of course, they're backpacking across Europe.

sls.stormyrider

hmm
good point.

I guess that just the fact that he knows the issues affecting our country better than us Yanks actually does confirm that he can't be American.

so-maybe he is Canadian after all.

guyforget

Quote from: slslbs on July 14, 2009, 10:41:33 AM
I guess that just the fact that he knows the issues affecting our country better than us Yanks actually does confirm that he can't be American.

lol
-AD_