News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

12/31 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY - Post Show Discussion and Review

Started by whatapiper, January 01, 2014, 01:17:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

Quote from: anthrax on January 02, 2014, 12:32:28 PM
Quote from: V00D00BR3W on January 02, 2014, 11:52:58 AM
Can someone in attendance talk about the setup for the second set:

They must've had to clear a path and a spot in the middle of the floor. Where did those people go?
Did the end stage sit in darkness unchanged for the duration?
Where did the band come from? Was there a sectioned-off path, and did it remain for the whole set?
Did the sound come from the stacks at the end stage or was there another PA? If it didn't come from the center of the arena, wouldn't that have been odd?
I wonder if there was additional equipment, e.g. amps, under the truck stage -- or was everything right there on top?

i had a birds eye view of most of this, and i love stage production, so i really watched this as best as i could.  let's see if i can recall everything...

as soon as the truck rolled in on sidestage mike side, the msg floor security sprang into action.  starting on the rail in front of where mike is, they made a wall of security guards holding a white "velvet rope" and just kinda folded the people on the floor inwards.  they did this on the other side to, effectively creating 2 lanes from backstage to the center of the floor, one one each side.  fans were not allowed in these lanes.  they quickly replaced the velvet rope with your standard metal concert cattle fencing.  at this point the floor looked pretty packed.  note, the floor never looked overly packed at any point during the run before this. 

they were working on the truck for a bit side stage.  see my pic of the dude working on the bottom front.  i don't know what the hell he was doing down there, but sparks were flying everywhere, and i don't think it was just for "show".  but people were also prepping the top stage of the truck.  then they slowly pushed it to the center of the floor, at the back center of the west floor and right in front of the east floor rail.

the big stage did sit in darkness during the duration of the 2nd set.

the band came from page side and walked down this newly created lane on the side of the floor.  they entered the truck through the passenger side door and popped out on top.

there were small stacks of lights and speakers hung around all 4 corners of the huge new scoreboard in the center of the arena.  kuroda used those lights as well as the par cans on the truck.  he also used the main light rig to light the backstage crowd at certain points, but he didn't use the main light rig to light up the band at all.

sound was coming from all over the place.  they had more speakers in the garden than i ever remember seeing.

i do not believe there was any additional band equipment inside the truck.  i think what you saw was what they used.  all in all it was a pretty ballsy maneuver, and it was pulled off very well.

OK - he addressed this pretty well. I was on the floor directly in the path they cleared to make way for the truck. The rope was far from velvet... I was literally on it when this all went down. They were, indeed working on the truck right before they wheeled it out. There were, indeed, sparks flying everywhere under that truck. I'm not sure if that was just for show or not... but I suspect it was.

They wheeled the truck out past us to the middle then they moved the barriers that had once separated the East GA from the West GA sections so that they surrounded the Truck and left a path to the back corner of the room for band and camera men etc. to get to the truck.

Once the truck was in place, Kuroda was out to adjust the lights using a hockey stick. Again, this was all for show. He didn't really adjust them at all.

Fish and Mike walked right past me on their way to the truck - I shook Fish's hand. I did not see Trey and Page come through. They must have come from the other side.

Once the band was on stage, I was right behind Fish at the corner of the truck so that I could see everything pretty well. I had more space than you could imagine. Perhaps because I was at a weird angle back behind Fish. I have not danced as hard during for as long in 15 or more years. It really felt like I was seeing Phish at a little club somewhere. I was completely unaware of the rest of the Garden. It was just a few hundred people seeing Phish in a little club. You can see my view in the attached image...

I know there were bigger lights up around the scoreboard and you could see speaker stacks placed around it, too, effectively making the sound seem to come from the middle of the room no matter where you were...

For me, the sound came directly from a small speaker behind fish pointed directly at my head. If you watch the set on youtube, you will see some times when all CK5 uses are the par cans on the stage and no lights from above... During the SOAM jam, there is a long stretch like that. Just CK5 on 4 different colored buttons making the par cans turn on and off... well from where I stood, there was no difference. Again, it really felt like seeing Phish in a club.

The funny thing was tons of people use those barriers to stash their coats, etc., so there was mass confusion when they started moving them all over the place. At the end of the night I was VERY lucky to find my jacket. I had been on the back rail between the East and West sections... it ended up on the side rail over by where the truck came out.

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

VDB

Thanks for that info anthrax. What picture of yours are you referring to?
Is this still Wombat?

VDB

So the floor was divided down the middle ordinarily? Front to back or left to right? I wonder why that was -- just to have barriers on hand for this use?
Is this still Wombat?

anthrax

anthrax

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on January 02, 2014, 01:23:56 PM
So the floor was divided down the middle ordinarily? Front to back or left to right? I wonder why that was -- just to have barriers on hand for this use?

they started this last year and continued it this year.  there is a front (GA West) floor and a back (GA East) floor with a gate separating the two.  if you have a back floor ticket, you can't get to the front floor, etc.

VDB

That's odd. Supposed to keep people from crashing the front I wonder? Safety issue?
Is this still Wombat?

PIE-GUY

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on January 02, 2014, 01:35:52 PM
That's odd. Supposed to keep people from crashing the front I wonder? Safety issue?

I'm pretty sure it's a fire marshal issue. The floor is too big for it to be just one big section. They worry about too many people trying to get right up front. The GA East and GA West separation keeps things a little less crowded in both sections.

antelope19

Glad to hear everyone had fun.  That place is magical.  I've only ever seen 2 shows there from the early December '09 run, but it was amazing being inside that place. 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

WhatstheUse?

I was very excited that they used the speakers in the middle of the arena for that second set.... sound was subpar for me during the first set coming from the stage area, but PERFECT from where we were seated at the second set, which was about 3/4ths of the way back Pageside
Bring in the dude!

birdman

They Unrolled a huge video screen for those of us behind the stage, as our sight lines were obstructed by the light rig. The sound was noticeably worse from our spot. Not bad enough to make me move but a bit muddy. 

Once again, phish managed to blow me away and I had the time of my life with all you crazy paugers post show.
Love this place

Paug FTMFW!

anthrax

we were in the phish friends and family section.  lots of laminates all around us.  i was talking to a dude who is buds w/ kuroda and he said that was actually the old box truck they took out to telluride.  somehow they tracked it down.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: anthrax on January 02, 2014, 02:02:40 PM
we were in the phish friends and family section.  lots of laminates all around us.  i was talking to a dude who is buds w/ kuroda and he said that was actually the old box truck they took out to telluride.  somehow they tracked it down.

that's cool if true!

Thrillhouse

Quote from: birdman on January 02, 2014, 01:54:39 PM
They Unrolled a huge video screen for those of us behind the stage, as our sight lines were obstructed by the light rig. The sound was noticeably worse from our spot. Not bad enough to make me move but a bit muddy. 

Once again, phish managed to blow me away and I had the time of my life with all you crazy paugers post show.
Love this place

That overhead ledge has a lot to do with the sound. I was very happy with the sound once I escaped said ledge. 

Regardless, in the four years I have been seeing this band they have surprised me over and over again. Storage jams. Festivals. Flying hotdogs. Theatre in the round.  Surprise make up sets (Chicago 2013).

And yes. I was crying during Reba....like i always do.
Quote from: bvaz on February 14, 2012, 02:59:09 PM
I can only imagine how much I would hate people at an event like 'roo.

Pebbles and marbles, like things on my mind...

Marmar

Quote from: PG on January 02, 2014, 03:28:57 PM
Quote from: anthrax on January 02, 2014, 02:02:40 PM

that's cool if true!

There's one way to tell.....

Get the "Welcome to Colorado" picture they released a couple years ago......that should be THE truck.

Kinda hard to see...but that truck is a C series GM box van......don't think it is the same van....
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

GBL

If this is love, I'm never going home..