News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

PHISH IS FUCKING BACK!!!!!!

Started by WhatstheUse?, March 08, 2009, 12:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedifunk

i'm almost afraid for long jams now... i just listened to the ghost... what a fucking train wreck that was...

seems like trey is not in tune with everyone else.

Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

thechad

I think all of these things are going to get worked out, playing in the studio and playing in front of thousands of people are two very different things, not that I have a great deal of experience in the latter, but with time these issues I think will get ironed out and won't be an issue for them.  I don't think PH is anything we have to worry about, but it certainly isn't going to be exactly like the mid-90's, that's what we and they would like to happen, but I don't think it can ever be that again.  It's going to be great, just different.
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

CovertOps77

I'm pretty confident the jams are coming.   Give it time.   I'm sure that the Bonnaroo late night night set will be sick jam after sick jam.  I had a dream about that set- the Giant Country Horns were in it :banana:

Gumbo72203

Quote from: G. Augusto on March 08, 2009, 09:42:29 AM
I'll be honest...I didn't really like much of last night's show.
Tonight is gonna be the one that everyone talks about after the run.
a

You know...  I absolutely agree with you.  Last night was sick, but...  well...  okay, Friday night was a straight B+ right across the board.  Everything tight, everything spot on, but not a lot of jumping off.

Saturday night, however, had higher highs (Split, Antelope, Ghost) but lower lows.  Punch and Hydrogen were botched, which is okay...  i can forgive that for nerves and just getting lost in the moments (the Punch intro was pretty tight though) but Piper, I thought, was....  quite blah.  Very little energy.  We'll have to see how the tapes are.  Trey started singing really early, and he tried, but never got the tempo up to where Piper is comfortable. 

However, Saturday's first set was absolutely fucking BONKERS.  Bonkers, I tell you!!!  Red lights all over the place...  that was downright evil.  Its Ice, Split, and Antelope took us straight to hell and back.  That Split was disgusting.  I'll never forget the sight of Slim, with his arms out, like...  "petting" the music, i guess...  i dont even know what to call what he was doing, haha, but it was great.  One of my favorite mental snapshots of the weekend. 

It is official that we're back in 1995, though...  tons and tons of songs per set, and Halley's and Gumbo were each under 5 minutes, if that tells you something, lol.
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Gumbo72203

Quote from: jedifunk on March 08, 2009, 04:22:02 PM
i'm almost afraid for long jams now... i just listened to the ghost... what a fucking train wreck that was...

Interesting that you say that, because I agree with you, up until the "change".  It was definitely going nowhere fast, and then all of a sudden, they kind of like...  just clicked it into gear, and raged the ending.  And I quote Birdman "That may be the best thing they've played all weekend." 

"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Wolfmansbrother

so after 5 years of waiting i finally got to see phish and i definitely got caught up in the giddiness of it all, especially the fact that i got to be about 15 feet away for the first set but man...i was actually disappointed with some song choice and tightness.  PYITE was bad, mexican cousin is on my low low list of songs i wanted to hear and reba, THE one song i was dying to hear live lacked the emotion i was hoping for.  I hate to be this critical after this being my first show and given the pressure im sure trey was feeling.  I guess maybe i got my hopes up too high.  HOWEVER...second set was very enjoyable for me at least i thought ghost was THE best song they played last night and while the length of the jams wasnt up to par with past versions(Mike's was WAY too short) i thought the segues were well done and song choice was great.

justjezmund

Quote from: CovertOps77 on March 08, 2009, 05:14:24 PM
I'm pretty confident the jams are coming.   Give it time.   I'm sure that the Bonnaroo late night night set will be sick jam after sick jam.  I had a dream about that set- the Giant Country Horns were in it :banana:
Who knows what sick guest spots are gunna be in that late nite we will just have to wait
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

Moses Yastrzemski

Quote from: jedifunk on March 08, 2009, 04:22:02 PM

I thought it was great.

justjezmund

Lets be patient Im sure the james will come back in time for jones

Hicks

Quote from: Jezmund420 on March 08, 2009, 07:17:47 PM

Rick James?   :-D
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

justjezmund

Quote from: Hicks on March 08, 2009, 07:19:58 PM

I don't want want jams anymore, just bring back james 8-)

Hicks

Quote from: Jezmund420 on March 08, 2009, 07:20:51 PM
Quote from: Hicks on March 08, 2009, 07:19:58 PM

I don't want want james anymore, just bring back james 8-)

You mean those guys that sang that Laid song?
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

justjezmund

woodsyn2o

and you are so right i just got to hear them and wow its gonna be a good summer

peace
woodsy

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: jedifunk on March 08, 2009, 11:04:47 AM
ok, so from the perspective of not being there and not having the energy of a show surrounding me....

i'd say these shows are very meh... night 1 was a butcher shop IMO.  fluff & divided both had cringe worthy moments.  to their benefit it got better as the night went on, and the YEM was pretty hot.

i'm keeping an open mind, but i'm guessing this 2nd night isn't even the best PH show.  as Aug says, paper tiger... yes, its a fantasy set, but there are ZERO jams.

phish ain't back if they can't jam...

sorry to sound negative, but i think this thread and this board need a reality check

yuck.  this is what i was afraid of.  fwiw, i haven't listened yet.