News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

PHISH IS FUCKING BACK!!!!!!

Started by WhatstheUse?, March 08, 2009, 12:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thechad

"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

cactusfan

just finished up night 3. definitely the best show, it seems to me. they finally jammed something out, DWD. i thought it sounded great.

it think they really wanted to make the point that they practiced and that they can play all of those songs. which in most cases they could. i agree with jedi that for many of the tunes, there was a certain 'it' factor missing, which is to be expected after such a long break. many times they did 'just' play the song, in a way that lacked a totally cohesive feeling. at different times, all four of them felt like they were just barely keeping up, and they were a few trainwrecks here and there.

but overall, they exceeded expectations. there is much potential in what they showed us. the east coast tour should prove to be awesome... and the west coast tour even better!

WhatstheUse?

well now that I have gotten my head back together and have had a chance to listen to these shows on the ride home from Hampton i guess I have a slightly different few after a second listen...

I have to agree with Jedi that there was very little "it" factor this weekend, but like many of you said I think the jamming and experimenting will come this summer....how are you going to have time to jam when you want to fit 89 songs into 3 days?! 

What I was very pleased to hear was some of the tightest phish since pre-hiatus, sure there was a few flubs here and there but they seemed more "human" mistakes that can be fixed with more practice.....not mistakes made simply because trey was strung out.  For the most part they made it through some of their more complicated material very well.

also, what was the deal with Cars, Trucks, Buses? Was it a new arrangement or did they just completely blow it?  I couldn't figure it out at the time but something didn't feel right...

Brian and Robert had a new arrangement as well.........I was kinda bummed, i liked the "ooh oohs"  :-P
Bring in the dude!

Blaise

Alright guys, glad to hear some discussusion and dissenting opinions about the shows.

HOW GREAT IS IT TO BE TALKING ABOUT CURRENT SHOWS!

I haven't listened to everything yet but I have talked to many people who were there and based off there opinions, opinion from the set lists, and here I have to say that despite the incredibly high crowd energy that sounded remarkable, I am not as sour about missing these shows now.

Seems to me that these shows were statement shows and as commmented on above layed a great foundation for things to come this summer/year. They proved to everyone that they have been practicing, are determined to get back on track, and are all for playing there harder more compositional based material. Imo, I would rather hear a 4-7 song exploratory set then a 17 song set but it would be nice to hear the whole catalogue, no doubt. I mean, when your friends say guelah was the highlight of sat you say hells ya but also sigh in relief knowing it wasn't some epic 20 minute [insert song] jam.

All in all I am more excited for these summers shows and can't wait to get back on the train myself.

Blaise

and I'm glad I didn't miss a forbin>mockingbird. after seeing nite one setlist I was sure that was happening.

redrum

Quote from: Blaise on March 09, 2009, 07:41:43 PM
and I'm glad I didn't miss a forbin>mockingbird. after seeing nite one setlist I was sure that was happening.

everyone there thought the same thing.
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

Ri©h

Quote from: jedifunk on March 09, 2009, 02:23:59 PM

and i certainly feel i have a right to my opinion... i've well over 150 shows, so i know a thing or two about this band... and when i listen, i conclude that they are certainly not "back"... they are playing again, playing pretty darn well, and it sounds good and is enjoyable to listen to...

but certainly not "back" IMHO.

*disclaimer- take it fwiw, its only my opinion

You definitely have a right to your opinion. Just as I have a right to mine. And while I agree they aren't "back" like you would want them to be, they're definitely back to build upon what they once were. All I'm saying is we should give them time and watch what happens.

Personally I had no expectations going into the Hampton shows. If I had, I may have been let down or I may have been elated. At this point I am neither. But I am certainly not going to say "phish ain't back if they can't jam...". That's both foolish (no offense) and unfair to the band as a whole. They play rock and roll. That's my point. When they reach a comfortable stage to start jamming again, then we can start the critiquing. 

Let them rock for now.  I've talked to enough people who loved the shows. People on this very board (names withheld to protect the innocent).   :wink:

I respect your opinion, jedi.  However, we'll have to agree to disagree right now.  That's okay with me. I'd rather agree to disagree than get into a big old pissing match where nobody comes out happy and we end up disliking each other.

Phish is back...  let's let them rock our brains, get more practice in before Summer and then blow our minds like they used to.  Thank God they're not sloppy like they were post-hiatus.  I think they'd like to put that era behind them as much as we would.

Cheers, bro.   :beers:

birdman

Phish IS back.
Make no mistake about it.
It's only going to get better.
Paug FTMFW!

Caravan2001

Quote from: mattstick on March 08, 2009, 12:13:34 PM
Quote from: jedifunk on March 08, 2009, 11:04:47 AM

i'm keeping an open mind, but i'm guessing this 2nd night isn't even the best PH show.  as Aug says, paper tiger... yes, its a fantasy set, but there are ZERO jams.

Rock and Roll was a HUGE jam.  2nd set Saturday had some really big jams.

No jams on Saturday?!?!?!  LMFAO!

Ri©h

I'm listening to Tube from Sunday night.

Good God...  they are on fire here!!!  HELL YES!   :banana:

susep

Focused on show 3 today.  The way the tunes were arranged in my ipod, I heard set 2 first.  DwD was decent, started off strong and did maintain a little bit of "x" throughout its jam.  The transitions from there through Moma Dance were good and provided a nice sequence.  One can truly appreciate the lyrical parallels between WMGGW and Phish's return also.
It was nice to hear the band execute Foam flawlessly, while driving I was thinking to myself, "holy s***, 2009 Foam!"
Undermind was a cool reprise esp. after discussions/predictions here.     
Maze was good and for those who love Bob Weir will love the LP SBD mix where Trey is mixed over Page so you can hear is rythym improvisations.
I've heard show 1 and must admit it was fun to see their first set unwind here w/ virtual rj updates and pics from LP. 
I haven't heard show 2 yet, tomorrow perhaps.

Phish is.

Ri©h

Quote from: caravan2001 on March 09, 2009, 08:27:42 PM
Quote from: mattstick on March 08, 2009, 12:13:34 PM
Quote from: jedifunk on March 08, 2009, 11:04:47 AM

i'm keeping an open mind, but i'm guessing this 2nd night isn't even the best PH show.  as Aug says, paper tiger... yes, its a fantasy set, but there are ZERO jams.

Rock and Roll was a HUGE jam.  2nd set Saturday had some really big jams.

No jams on Saturday?!?!?!  LMFAO!

Q4T

Quotei'm guessing this 2nd night isn't even the best PH show

Guessing?  Come on man.  :roll:

Quoteas Aug says, paper tiger... yes, its a fantasy set

Paper tiger? WTF? Fantasy set...?

[kills thread]

WhatstheUse?

2nd night was easily my favorite of the 3

That Limb by Limb rocked!
Bring in the dude!

Wolfmansbrother

Man i am digging the full band Backwards Down The Number Line also Beauty of a Broken Heart is pretty killer too

Ri©h

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on March 10, 2009, 01:02:01 AM
2nd night was easily my favorite of the 3

That Limb by Limb rocked!

Same here.   :-)

My daughter has been asking me to play Reba over and over again so she can sing the bag it, tag it section.   :lol:

It had a few warts but I'm okay with that because I know they'll smooth things out between now and Summer tour.