News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

PHISH IS FUCKING BACK!!!!!!

Started by WhatstheUse?, March 08, 2009, 12:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ri©h

noodle

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on March 18, 2009, 11:02:05 PM
Quote from: blatboom on March 18, 2009, 10:58:57 PM
Quote from: antelope19 on March 18, 2009, 10:57:04 PM
Quote from: jedifunk on March 08, 2009, 11:04:47 AM
phish ain't back if they can't jam...

Phish 3.0:  Bringing the song back to the Jam community.

:wink:

I like that slogan!

I was thinking the other day...
how about a 16-song first set followed by a 5-song second set?  or vice versa.

I'm actually very anti-5-song sets at this point.

I noticed while listening to the Darien Lake '00 Suzie that there are about ten minutes of wank for 5 minutes of rocktastic sweetness... and that I feel that way about many post '98 jams.  I think that Phish needs to relearn how to make their songs powerful again as opposed to focusing on long extended improv.

From the 3 hampton shows, none of my highlights were the extended improvs... Even though I think that up until minute 14 of the DWD, the jam is sweet as hell, and then bores out...

Haven't listened to the Suzy, but sometimes I think you have to take the wank to get to the rocktastic. If it is truly improv and they are charting new territory in the moment, It might take awhile to bring the heat. All part of the journey for me. Some jams make sense right out the gate while others meander and pick up steam, go backwards, do about everything in between before hitting the point of bliss. That's what I'm chasing.

Re-read your post fauxpa, think I missed your point the first go round. I see what you are saying in regards to Hampton and the band getting their bearing's back.

hoodie22

Play_It_Leo

Quote from: noodle on March 18, 2009, 11:26:48 PM

I like that slogan!

I noticed while listening to the Darien Lake '00 Suzie that there are about ten minutes of wank for 5 minutes of rocktastic sweetness... and that I feel that way about many post '98 jams.  I think that Phish needs to relearn how to make their songs powerful again as opposed to focusing on long extended improv.

From the 3 hampton shows, none of my highlights were the extended improvs... Even though I think that up until minute 14 of the DWD, the jam is sweet as hell, and then bores out...

Haven't listened to the Suzy, but sometimes I think you have to take the wank to get to the rocktastic. If it is truly improv and they are charting new territory in the moment, It might take awhile to bring the heat. All part of the journey for me. Some jams make sense right out the gate while others meander and pick up steam, go backwards, do about everything in between before hitting the point of bliss. That's what I'm chasing.

I think in the IT DVD Page says basically the same thing, that even mid-jam they just have to keep working at it and then they finally arrive at something new and beautiful.  I'll take those moments, but I imagine we'll need to wait for them to start gelling again for those moments to happen. I'm quite happy w/ the rocking out they did at Hampton. Not perfect, but heart-felt and energetic.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on September 03, 2012, 12:45:00 AM
I love what the band did in Sand.  Those last 12-13 minutes were ACE, Tom Ace.  If I were drinking from the toilet, I might have been killed.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 24, 2012, 11:37:26 AM
Bouncin' - after all that, fuck they could have kicked their instruments in the face and I would have loved to eat some ice cream.

gah

Quote from: nab on March 19, 2009, 12:01:57 AM
Quote from: hoodie22 on March 18, 2009, 11:50:28 PM
Quote from: Rich on March 18, 2009, 11:21:47 PM
Quote from: blatboom on March 18, 2009, 11:24:17 AM
new Rolling Stone Phish article:

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/3939/rspage1.jpg
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/7018/rspage2.jpg
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/6708/rspage3.jpg

Thanks blat.  Just got around to reading that and really like it.   +k  :-)

Thanks blat. +k
Good article.

Thank you very much k+

Awesome reading. Is it just me or do they all feel very open in discussing Trey's issues now? I always felt like before it was this hidden, hush hush thing, nobody wanted to talk about, and it was all speculation, and now, Trey is open about it, so they feel free to be as well. In any case, I appreciate the insight and honesty from everyone.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Caravan2001

I just wonder how deep they will get into those issues in the upcoming bio....

Casey Lenahan

Too bad Rolling Stone didnt catch my tramp jump from the top of the building. o well  :|
I owe Aug $20

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: caravan2001 on March 19, 2009, 04:30:29 PM
I just wonder how deep they will get into those issues in the upcoming bio....

indeedy...that should be an interesting read
Bring in the dude!

VA $l!m

I like that slogan!

basically this is what i've been saying they were doing at hampton. Additionally, i believe they want  to relearn/ rebuild the way they approach the improvisations. any time you get a musician in a group doped out they tend to encapsulate themselves and play independently. i think that from 99 on that the group stopped listening equally to one another , and moreso everyone just reacted to trey's lead. the same thing happened with jerry and the dead.
so IMO, it is important that they start from scratch as far as how they build jams and what controls them.
personally i heard a genesis of this at hampton.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

birdman

Quote from: VA slim on March 19, 2009, 07:40:55 PM

personally i heard a genesis of this at hampton.
Man, I hope thay dont sound like Genesis....

Oh, wait.
Never mind. :roll:
Paug FTMFW!

VA $l!m

:lol:
ask rowjim's neighbors about genesis!
they really didnt get it i think when i pulled some out to spin on their turntable two weeks ago!

Marmar

I personally love the quote by Fishman in the opening section....

Quote"Our band had driven itself into a ditch. We had to establish credability with people again."

That sums up from 1998-2004. So Hampton was the tow-truck.....lets see if this car is still drivable.....
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

ytowndan

Quote from: Marmar on March 19, 2009, 07:49:48 PM

Quote"Our band had driven itself into a ditch. We had to establish credability with people again."

That sums up from 1998-2004. So Hampton was the tow-truck.....lets see if this car is still drivable.....

Heh, nice metaphor.   
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

VA $l!m

Quote from: ytowndan on March 19, 2009, 07:52:30 PM
Quote from: Marmar on March 19, 2009, 07:49:48 PM

Heh, nice metaphor.   

def. could use a new transmission.