News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

PHISH IS FUCKING BACK!!!!!!

Started by WhatstheUse?, March 08, 2009, 12:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gumbo72203

Quote from: thelot on August 14, 2010, 07:13:50 AM
Every show since they've been back has been cookie cutter. Same jam songs light, rock and roll, drowned, disease, tweezer, piper. Song chaser bust-outs throughout. Similar openers night after night. Some great jams since they've been back, but overall nothing that interesting, minus 10 or so. Phan favorite packed setlists. Playing requests?!? I love phish, but this has been on
my mind for a little bit now. I really don't read phish sites anymore other than phishthoughts, so I'm not sure how other people feel about the current state of phish. The dude from phishthoughts is lovin' it! I don't know, just another opinion. I'm really happy they're back, I just wish the creative juices were flowing. :::end rant:::

Man, I totally feel you.  2009 was the same thing with me:  some magic throughout (Camden, Albany2, Miami), but mostly...  bland, perfunctory playing. 

The start of 2010 was also mostly like that.  It got better; they started off with a bang with some really nice stuff sprinkled throughout the first 3 shows, but then they kinda stalled.  And I really felt like they were re-experiencing something Mike mentioned in The Phish Book, where, early on, once the band solidified, from like 84-86, they would either do shows where the jams were hot and inspired, but sloppy, or shows where they got all the changes right, but the jams weren't as explosive.  Thats what I felt during SPAC; there was a lot of loose slop, but it was bracketed by some really inventive playing, and true exploration.

But once they hit Camden, it all got going, imo, and those loose, goofed shows got REAL crazy.  The other shows were tight and accurately played, but rather uninspired and bland. 

But dude, you really should listen to these August shows.  The Greek is fantastic.  Telluride is unfortunately a little underwhelming, but well-played.  I haven't gotten to dig into Deer Creek yet, but the Drowned jam is fucking FANTASTIC.  Pay Jorgan up the ASS!!!!!!!!!!

Granted, whole shows are stilllllll not quite fully 100% solid and bombastic completely throughout, but really man.... theres some really good fucking shit here.  You just gotta listen with an open mind, without any preconceptions, conditions, or caveats. 

One of the key things to 2010 Phish is subtley and understatement.  Its not completely specifically WHAT is actually being played, but what they're DOING with what they're playing.  Like, with the Greek Gin.  Its great, but the playing isn't completely 100% together. 

However, what gets me off is what the band is DOING, as a whole.  Trey is letting himself open to being played by the other guys.  Page flutters out some piano shit, and Trey immediately latches on.  Its fucking awesome; its the mechanics of the band that what gets me excited now, because I know that, with each show, they're going to get better.  And knowing that the band, as a whole, is operating together the way it should is what gets me excited. 

They're listening, taking chances, and being inventive.  The results aren't always completely 100%, but the attempt is legit, and they mean it.  What we've seen so far is the band taking chances, and sometimes its working, and sometimes it kinda falls flat.  They know that it will sometimes happen, but they haven't quite figured out the secret to knowing HOW to make it work themselves.  Its been a happy accident, and they're getting closer and closer to figuring out how to make it happen INTENTIONALLY. 

But really, Trey has come alive so much this month.  He's figured out how to build peaks again, and force turnarounds and build tension. 

Its so simple, but for the longest time, I could see/hear Trey over-thinking his role, trying to do too much, thinking that there was some magic secret he'd forgotten and was trying to find again.  But if you listen to the last few shows, he's given up overthinking, and just playing for what he wants to do, with building tension and release.  Its not some secret style of phrasing or notes, its thinking outside of the big picture, with the whole band's movement.  Seeing/hearing what Fishman is doing with fills, and then knowing that thats when to latch on and create tension. 

He's learned/figured out/realized what the others (specifically Fishman, now) are doing when they are trying to build tension.  Before, I don't think he realized that when Fishman starts throwing out fills, that he's trying to build the tension for a turnaround.  But NOW he gets it. 

Specifically, last night's Julius, the Telluride Mike's Song, the Telluride Sand, the Greek Weekapaug, the Deer Creek Wolfman's, and the Greek Number Line (Page on the piano!!!!).

Again, the results aren't completely there yet, but they know what to do now, and how to do it.  Its simply a matter of doing it more and getting better at it.  That, and learning to reallllly push and milk the shit out of it, which is something they haven't quite gotten the feeling for, yet. 

But seriously man, theres some good shit now.  Its legit Phish.  Not just Phish playing songs.

omg dude and the Page/Trey interplay on the Creek Jibboo!!!!!!!!!!    :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:   !!!!!!!!!

my god.  This is fucking incredible.  Trey leaves space, and Page is just all like "Dooodleee-dah-duh-dooo-deeeee dahhhh" immediately.  Its fucking spectacularific.   ohhh yeahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe this shit exists now/again.
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

spaced

I just a better way to phrase what I was saying is that I just don't get the idea that they are "going thru the motions." It just doesn't make sense to me. To me that implies that (a) the general trend is that they aren't improving and (b) that they aren't having fun doing what they're doing. Both of those ideas seem totally crazy to me. Oh well, to each his own I guess... I'm loving the way they are playing since trey largely ditched the whale a few shows ago, so I'm excited about the future.

Quote from: Hicks on August 14, 2010, 02:58:04 PM
I think there was some backsliding during leg I of this year.  But I think they are back on track now.

Agreed, I think there were some times like that in 09 as well. I just meant as a general trend.

Poster Nutbag

Similar openers night after night.

Please remove this line from your rant, because in 2010 they have only repeated an opening song twice, being DWD and Chalk Dust Torture... and that is as good as anyone can ever hope IMHO.

Quote from: Hicks on August 14, 2010, 02:09:59 PM
Leg II has been massively better than leg I in terms of playing so far, so I'm happy with that.

Loving the energy and the overall wellness of Phish's playing in leg II... 
Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

PIE-GUY

Let's hope the lesson learned (besides easing up on the whale) is that multi-night stands at each tour stop is better for the band... they get warmed up and loose when they know they're not going anywhere for a couple of days.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Superfreakie

Quote from: Poster Nutbag on August 14, 2010, 03:40:33 PM

Please remove this line from your rant, because in 2010 they have only repeated an opening song twice, being DWD and Chalk Dust Torture... and that is as good as anyone can ever hope IMHO.

In thelot's defense, I believe he is speaking about second set openers......and he is somewhat right. So predictable that up until the Greek, Rock and Roll opened very second set played on a Saturday. As for predictable first set openers, that was 2009. Also consider that when they have strayed from the DWD/Drowned/Rock and Roll opener it means Light will be found in the second slot and that the song that precedes it will be a meaningless 5 minute opener (Halley's Wilson) then a ~^-> into Light. That's what I call formulaic, maybe not in the Rolling Stones sense, but definitely in the Phish sense.

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

kellerb

I'm sure they would have opened a deer creek set with DWD as well, but they didn't want me to pass out.

spaced

Quote from: Superfreakie on August 14, 2010, 03:53:23 PM

In thelot's defense, I believe he is speaking about second set openers......and he is somewhat right. So predictable that up until the Greek, Rock and Roll opened very second set played on a Saturday. As for predictable first set openers, that was 2009. Also consider that when they have strayed from the DWD/Drowned/Rock and Roll opener it means Light will be found in the second slot and that the song that precedes it will be a meaningless 5 minute opener (Halley's Wilson) then a ~^-> into Light. That's what I call formulaic, maybe not in the Rolling Stones sense, but definitely in the Phish sense.

Definitely true, second set openers have been one of the biggest weak spots. But in Poster's defense, I think overall setlist unpredictability has been one of the band's strong points in 3.0. There have been more bustouts/rarities/one-off covers than at pretty much any other time in the band's history - '98 is probably the only year that comes close. I'm sure if you looked at overall stats they would back that statement up.

I see what you're saying, but I think that given the number of new songs, rarities, and covers over the past 2 years, there's still a feeling that anything could be played on any given night. Out of all the possible complaints, setlist predictability seems to me like an odd thing to get hung up on.

EDIT: Not saying YOU are getting hung up on it, I just mean in general.

Superfreakie

No worries, I'm not as concerned as I was with last year's formulaic approach to everything. This year has definitely tried to address these issues. I have, however, made a list of this year's second set openers just for.......fun  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

6-11-Down with Disease
6-12-Rock and Roll
6-13-Drowned
6-15-Wilson>Seven Below
6-17-Party Time>Down With Disease
6-18-Halleys>Light
6-19-Rock and Roll
6-20-Carini
6-22-Mike's
6-24-Down with Disease
6-25-Chalkdust
6-26-Rock and Roll
6-27-Wilson
6-29-Possum
7-01-Backwards
7-02-Drowned
7-03-Rock and Roll
7-04-Down with Disease
8-05-Disease with Disease
8-06-Rock and Roll
8-07-Wilson>Light
8-09-Down with Disease
8-10-Party Time Mikes
8-12-Drowned
8-13-Halley's>Light

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

redrum

Quote from: whatapiper on August 14, 2010, 12:47:11 PM
Is it ever perfect?.....for everyone?   

they are clearly loving it, a sure sign they are not going through the motions
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

disco

Quote from: Superfreakie on August 14, 2010, 04:30:37 PM
No worries, I'm not as concerned as I was with last year's formulaic approach to everything. This year has definitely tried to address these issues. I have, however, made a list of this year's second set openers just for.......fun  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

6-11-Down with Disease
6-12-Rock and Roll
6-13-Drowned
6-15-Wilson>Seven Below
6-18-Halleys>Light
6-19-Rock and Roll
6-20-Carini
6-22-Mike's
6-24-Down with Disease
6-25-Chalkdust
6-26-Rock and Roll
6-27-Wilson
6-29-Possum
7-01-Backwards
7-02-Drowned
7-03-Rock and Roll
7-04-Down with Disease
8-06-Rock and Roll
8-07-Wilson>Light
8-09-Down with Disease
8-10-Party Time Mikes
8-12-Drowned
8-13-Halley's>Light

8-5 being the obvious favorite for it's inherent originality  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

www.week4paug.net

Sharin' our groove with you

..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

VA $l!m

Quote from: Superfreakie on August 14, 2010, 04:30:37 PM

6-11-Down with Disease
6-12-Rock and Roll
6-13-Drowned
6-15-Wilson>Seven Below
6-18-Halleys>Light
6-19-Rock and Roll
6-20-Carini
6-22-Mike's
6-24-Down with Disease
6-25-Chalkdust
6-26-Rock and Roll
6-27-Wilson
6-29-Possum
7-01-Backwards
7-02-Drowned
7-03-Rock and Roll
7-04-Down with Disease
8-06-Rock and Roll
8-07-Wilson>Light
8-09-Down with Disease
8-10-Party Time Mikes
8-12-Drowned
8-13-Halley's>Light

interesting data SF  :mrgreen:
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

G. Augusto

No way you would have done that with the old keyboard!

redrum

Quote from: G. Augusto on August 14, 2010, 04:46:45 PM
No way you would have done that with the old keyboard!

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

Superfreakie

Gumbo72203

I find it interesting that Disease, Drowned and Rock and Roll are always so near each other in proximity.  Rock and Roll may be a perfect call for tonight, seeing as Drowned was last night (friday) and today is Saturday.

Holy shit this Creek Gin is fucking balls nuts!!!!  OMG TREY GREEOOOOGG!W!!@!@!!!!!!!!  PAY JORGAN!!!!  yeah!   holy crap that was actually very good.
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again