News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

PHISH IS FUCKING BACK!!!!!!

Started by WhatstheUse?, March 08, 2009, 12:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sophist

Quote from: McGrupp on July 07, 2015, 12:31:14 PM
Quote from: Buffalo Budd on July 07, 2015, 12:29:37 PM
And by 'live experience', you mean droogz.

That or shitty sound.

Or the drugs making you focus too hard on the shitty sound.
pretty much explains my hate-hate relationship with most of 3.0  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

VDB

Quote from: McGrupp on July 07, 2015, 12:31:14 PM
Quote from: Buffalo Budd on July 07, 2015, 12:29:37 PM
And by 'live experience', you mean droogz.

That or shitty sound.

Or the drugs making you focus too hard on the shitty sound.

It does seem to cut both ways.
Is this still Wombat?

mbw

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on July 07, 2015, 11:53:46 AM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on July 06, 2015, 03:44:38 PM
I'd be surprised if it's not the best tour of 3.0.

Trey sounds the best he has in 10-15 years IMO.

I was thinking the same thing this weekend -- possibly the best since end of 2000. (I say that having not listened back to any of these shows. I know the live experience can sometimes, uh, distort one's perspective.)

Last night i listened/watched some of the highlights from friday and saturday and have come to the conclusion they were FUN!

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

cleech74

I apologize if this article has already been posted, but if not, it's perfect for this thread. Thoughts?

https://medium.com/the-phish-from-vermont/this-time-s-gonna-be-different-6c189c04963c
"...ruminations of the end of empire, what it is like for a society to no longer have the will to pull itself as a whole, as a single entity, forward. It is a recipe for the disenfranchisement of significant portions of the country, for a divorce of one America from the other" -David Simon

mopper_smurf

People love the Phish from Vermont on FB ...

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

anthrax

Quote from: cleech74 on August 11, 2015, 01:53:30 AM
I apologize if this article has already been posted, but if not, it's perfect for this thread. Thoughts?

https://medium.com/the-phish-from-vermont/this-time-s-gonna-be-different-6c189c04963c

good read.  thanks for posting. 

QuoteWith the rhythm section of the GD50 band being so much looser than Phish's, I detected some frustration on Trey's part in that many of the ideas he introduced at the GD50 shows were not picked up on.

After watching him play with Phish this summer I sense a greater appreciation on his part for his Phish band-mates and the chemistry that they have developed over the last 30 years. And in particular the last 5.

interesting perspective.  certainly makes sense to me. 

antelope19

Very interesting. I'm seriously having a hard time focusing on work this week. Can't wait for Sunday!
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

emay

Quote from: antelope19 on August 11, 2015, 07:50:03 PM
Very interesting. I'm seriously having a hard time focusing on work this week. Can't wait for Sunday!

see you this weekend neely!! lets slang back some bohs sunday  :beerbang:

gah

Quote from: cleech74 on August 11, 2015, 01:53:30 AM

thanks, i enjoyed that read.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

ph92

I'm excited to give some of this tour a listen! A staff member the rehab I just left was a phan and he hit up Nashville, ATL, and Blossom and raved about all of them. He was saying they're super on point.

Can y'all give me some suggestions on what recent shows I should listen to? I haven't listened to anything since 2011 (besides the Tahoe Tweezer)
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

rowjimmy

qop24

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 14, 2011, 11:26:55 PM
Trey actually is totally inspired with ideas up the ass

Quote from: kellerb on July 06, 2011, 07:16:17 PM
When you're on droogz you don't remember which eye's supposed to be lazy

sophist

So I'm through Raleigh as of right now.  I have to say this is the most consistent tour of this era in my humble opinion.  There are multiple runs of shows where they just catch such a nice stride and they have really built upon themselves.  This is also the first tour of this era where one sound doesn't dominant the jamming.  We had the plinko, and then the "evolution" of the I > IV jams in '13 and '14.  This is Phish being Phish to me, it can get morbidly dark, and then turn the fucking corner to hit the majestic and melodic place.  It's light and darkness like it should be.  In addition to this, they've relearned some of the more classical structures and musical concepts that once set them above and beyond any other band, like tension and release, syncopation style rhythms, modulations at the drop of a dime, etc.  They can play Reba right.  I mean, shit, that's just fucking awesome that every version this tour has actual tension and release in it.  Mike's song is actually deep with sonic structures and textures again.  That Raleigh's Mike's while short, is fucking heavy and dark in nature.  Ghost is finally a jam vehicle again, where they can go a lot of different places.  I love how the Atlanta Ghost is melodic and smooth and the Raleigh Ghost is very heavy and demonic sounding.  The Atlanta Tweezer is incredibly thematic and out there, and the Blossom Tweezer morphs from thematic to a melodic hose. 

They are playing with purpose and energy like I haven't seen or heard in a really long time.  I love it.  It took fucking long enough  :roll:  :evil:
I will take this incarnation of the band. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Buffalo Budd

They've finally won Sophist over, they must be back.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.