News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Brad's wedding

Started by drvinestein, May 26, 2009, 06:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drvinestein

Should I put some sort of reference to Brad's wedding in the wiki?

I mean, it was a private performance.

What say you?

rowjimmy

List it as if it were a show but indicate that it was a private party, sitting in on the wedding band's gear, etc.

jephrey

I think there should be a place for it, but it's not a ticketed event that phans could get into.  That's typically been the criteria to call something a show.  Maybe another section for "live appearances" like national anthems.  It's hard to draw the line because what about late night TV appearances?  They do "headline" as far as the music goes, but the tickets are sold for the show, not Phish (well, at least to non phans).  And what about radio appearances?  There's usually a live studio audience, so I'd keep those in the regular mix.

Haven't thought about this enough, but I think we should maybe have an alternate section for non-shows.

Maybe a good split would be

1.  Any performance where a majority of the people at the event came for the sole purpose of Phish's appearance is considered a show. (including festivals and Santana openers)
2.  Any performance where phish is not the main attraction (aside from being an opening act) is considered a musical appearance.

Not sure if you guys think we should differentiate, but if so how we'd work it in the wiki.
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

rowjimmy

I see your point, jephrey, but I think that it would be easier to list the performances in the regular show listings but then, perhaps, create an additional page that lists (and links to) the performances that are not regular shows.

and how can you really draw the line based on the ticket sales? When Phish opened for Santana, the majority didn't buy tickets to see Phish. Same for Laguna Seca Daze or Fuji Rock Fest...

shoreline99

I agree with RJ, they should be listed in with the shows as it might be too hard to define the line between the too. I also think the idea of having a page that links to separate, specific 'non-show' shows is a good idea. That way you can directly link to radio performances, interviews, etc..
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

jephrey

If I wanted to continue the argument, I'd say that the people who were up at the stage when phish played WERE there to see phish.  But I also agree that it's going to be too difficult and my argument falls apart for national anthems unless I say that was not a music oriented event.

So I'll agree, maybe we could use categories...  Maybe even categories for the regular shows, we could tack on a load of categories like show, impromptu show, tv, sporting event, late set, interview, etc. 
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

drvinestein

Well I was under the impression that any performance in front of an audience was a "show" because in the 80's, there are entries of private parties and whatnot (etree, Phish Companion, Mockingbird, Almanac).  Brad's wedding wasn't a public show, but I'd say it was a show nonetheless because the performance was in front of an audience.  I'd also consider things like National Anthems and late night TV as shows even though the people in the audience were really there for the basketball game or Letterman or whatever.

Each individual performance has its own page in the wiki anyway.  Private, TV, radio and other odd performances just don't get linked to a tour and they each get an explanation in the notes (as usual).  I think if we go through and pick out all the performances that are not actual tour-related shows, then it will throw the stats off on the wiki.  What we'd wind up with is people arguing what is a show and what wasn't a show when we could just explain the event in the notes, count it and move on to the next dead link.

This is a good discussion, yo.

rowjimmy

Quote from: drvinestein on May 30, 2009, 07:47:15 PM
Well I was under the impression that any performance in front of an audience was a "show" because in the 80's, there are entries of private parties and whatnot (etree, Phish Companion, Mockingbird, Almanac).  Brad's wedding wasn't a public show, but I'd say it was a show nonetheless because the performance was in front of an audience.  I'd also consider things like National Anthems and late night TV as shows even though the people in the audience were really there for the basketball game or Letterman or whatever.

Each individual performance has its own page in the wiki anyway.  Private, TV, radio and other odd performances just don't get linked to a tour and they each get an explanation in the notes (as usual).  I think if we go through and pick out all the performances that are not actual tour-related shows, then it will throw the stats off on the wiki.  What we'd wind up with is people arguing what is a show and what wasn't a show when we could just explain the event in the notes, count it and move on to the next dead link.

This is a good discussion, yo.

I think the Doctor has summed up nicely.

jephrey

rowjimmy

I do like the idea of an additional page or pages that collect the TV/Radio Performances, etc...

drvinestein

I like that, too.  Setlist page to have everything in one place and an additional page for the special stuff.

shoreline99

I agree. Additional page for special events and impromptu stuff.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

drvinestein

Is there a way I can remove the "Tour" link in the upper right?  It's not part of a tour and I hate dead links.  I've made some other entries that would benefit from this, too.  Can't just remove it altogether from the code because it messes it up and when left blank, it just leaves a dead Tour link.

?

rowjimmy

You could link the tour link to the 'special shows' page, perhaps? or do you need a new template, altogether?

drvinestein

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 01, 2009, 01:44:44 PM
You could link the tour link to the 'special shows' page, perhaps? or do you need a new template, altogether?

You can only put the name of a tour in the space and then it pops up "so-and-so Tour" and links automatically to the tour page.