News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Thoughts, observations, questions & answers

Started by drvinestein, August 11, 2007, 10:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drvinestein

Hey, nerds!

Well, by now I'd guess that I can say I'm pretty familiar with the goings-on of the wiki.  But, still I wonder certain things.  I wish I could have started in the beginning, which was the same time I was learning html.  But, since I didn't, sometimes the "big picture" is unclear to me.

So, I'm going to use this thread to consolidate all my questions and concerns so that you "old school" folks can bring me up to pace.  So please don't get upset with me if I ask some tough questions or bring up stuff that has already been decided.  I really like this wiki and I want to help out as much as I can to get it finished (or as close as we can get, that is).  I understand that it's a work in progress, but I just want to make sure that I'm being the most useful and factual with all the data I put in.  The nerd in me likes to make ordered groups of similiar things.  :-D  So, this is where I'll put all my questions thus far and whatever I come up with in the future so that you people don't have to look for them within other threads.

First, it seems that once wikipaug is "finished" (all shows entered) the stats we are using on the songs pages probably won't match up with the true list of shows.  You are counting pretty much every appearance of the band in front of an audience as a "show" of some type.  That means, in addition to actual concerts, we are counting radio appearances w/ an audience and stuff like playing "The Star Spangled Banner" at sports games as 1 show or appearance, correct?  Because, if we are and that stuff all goes into the setlists portion, then some of the stats attached to the songs will not match up.  Mainly the "Gap" number will be wrong and possibly the "Times Played".

If we are in fact counting each appearance of the band in front of an audience as "1", then our "Gaps" will be wrong until we have all setlists entered for all appearances that circulate (or setlists that have been confirmed in some other way).  If a show is DNC, then we'll never be able to enter the info, obviously.

So, I think that I'd be more useful just doing setlists and appearances right now, right?  ZZYZX, the Companion, the Almanac, etree (and whatever else) - they all have most but nothing yet seems to have all.  That would be a first, the wikipaug having everything that we know about currently listed, right?  How great is that?

Eventaully, I see somebody having to sit down with a paper and pencil to re-calculate the Times Played and the Gaps, but for the wikipaug to be the first to have it all, well I think that's just awesome.

You folks have already done so much.  :clap:  I'm just happy that I get to join in too and get my hands dirty right next to y'all.   :-D

drvinestein

Another one (copied from a different thread)

QuoteOK, I made a page for when Phish did the song about Bruno during Coventry.  I see it is listed in the setlist as "Cool Jerk" but the band called it "The Bruno".

QuoteNow we're playing in the key of C for The Bruno and the poor key of C is so overused.

So I put it in as "The Bruno", ZZYZX has it listed as simply "Bruno", phish.com as "Bruno" (http://www.phish.com/fromtheroad/detail.php?year=2004&month=8#item135) and LivePhish calls it "Cool Jerk"

So here's the page:

http://wikipaug.net/index.php/The_Bruno

I really don't think this song has a concrete name, so can we decide on what we should call it here?  Also, I transcribed the song as best as I could to reflect the credit that they were giving Bruno at the time.

jephrey

The tough thing is that the statistics are static on the wiki.  The best way, and I think it's how it's done at ZZYZX is with a database of shows.  Actually, I could probably make a pretty sweet access database to hold all the setlists, then changing a song is easy, and the next time you run that report on a song, the data is updated.  The thing is, people want to see the setlists, and touch them which seems like the downside of ZZYZX.  Maybe someday.  For now, we'll do the best we can, and make updates as the future requires... 

and yes, an appearance is "in front of an audience", except for soundchecks.  There are pages of discussions on these things from a LONG time ago.

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.