News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

PHISH IS FUCKING BACK!!!!!!

Started by WhatstheUse?, March 08, 2009, 12:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatstheUse?

Had to start a new thread im so excited right now, Just got back from the best show of my life.

Honestyly, that second set was likely the best set played since 97-98!

Met up with RJ, Slim, Antelope, Gumbo, and Mandi on page side, we rocked it!!!!
Bring in the dude!

redrum

nice dude, glad you had such an amazing night as did EVERYONE else in that building tonight.
can't even fathom what it must be like for all of these first timers to discover phish in all their glory.

QuotePHISH IS FUCKING BACK!!!!!!

Q F M F T.

Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

redrum

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on March 08, 2009, 12:59:15 AM

as they prolly told you we metup with them tonight to.

we'll all have to throw down together tomorrow for sure.

---

thechad

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on March 08, 2009, 12:59:15 AM
Had to start a new thread im so excited right now, Just got back from the best show of my life.

Honestyly, that second set was likely the best set played since 97-98!

So I guess that means you've been having a good time?  :-D
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

ytowndan

From what I've heard so far...they're definitely back!
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

thechad

These first two nights have been really good, but I have a feeling that tomorrow night (or tonight I guess now), they are going to really throw it down.
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

redrum

i got some goodies i'm trying to get on youtube right now.

paug meetup & show pics on the way too...

..stay tuned..

---

mehead

DL last night - looks like a fuckin' monster!!!
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

G. Augusto

Quote from: mehead on March 08, 2009, 09:38:53 AM
DL last night - looks like a fuckin' monster!!!

Paper tiger... :wink:
I'll be honest...I didn't really like much of last night's show.
Tonight is gonna be the one that everyone talks about after the run.
a

jedifunk

ok, so from the perspective of not being there and not having the energy of a show surrounding me....

i'd say these shows are very meh... night 1 was a butcher shop IMO.  fluff & divided both had cringe worthy moments.  to their benefit it got better as the night went on, and the YEM was pretty hot.

i'm keeping an open mind, but i'm guessing this 2nd night isn't even the best PH show.  as Aug says, paper tiger... yes, its a fantasy set, but there are ZERO jams.

phish ain't back if they can't jam...

sorry to sound negative, but i think this thread and this board need a reality check
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

nab

I'd say that I'm enjoying the second set of last night a bit more than the second set of Friday.  I thought the transition between Piper and Birds was pretty cool.  The Wolfman's was pretty textbook, but not altogether unenjoyable. 

I think that these shows are best enjoyed as what they are; a warm up for summer tour.  The Trey's tone, and and the band's willingness to strive for practiced perfection (it ain't here yet, but you can read the intention in the music) already make the music more enjoyable to me than 2.0. 

Ultimately, only time can put these shows into proper perspective imo.  The battle between the  fluffers and those who have already set the band up for failure (in their minds) has really yet to be decided.

jedifunk

well i hope i don't fall into either of those categories.... i'm all for them being back, but lets not let the emotion of the moment cloud our judgement of the music.

i'm certainly encouraged, and ultimately more excited to see them at alpine, but they are far from the band of even 1999
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

mattstick

Quote from: jedifunk on March 08, 2009, 11:04:47 AM

i'm keeping an open mind, but i'm guessing this 2nd night isn't even the best PH show.  as Aug says, paper tiger... yes, its a fantasy set, but there are ZERO jams.

Rock and Roll was a HUGE jam.  2nd set Saturday had some really big jams.

Itsnotanexperience

Quote from: jedifunk on March 08, 2009, 11:04:47 AM
ok, so from the perspective of not being there and not having the energy of a show surrounding me....

i'd say these shows are very meh... night 1 was a butcher shop IMO.  fluff & divided both had cringe worthy moments.  to their benefit it got better as the night went on, and the YEM was pretty hot.

phish ain't back if they can't jam...

sorry to sound negative, but i think this thread and this board need a reality check

Funk, man!!?   They played Fluff better than they have in like over a decade!!   I mean, aren't we going to cut the boys some slack here?   The main thing I hear is LOVE in their playing again........think about how much anxiety Trey must have had coming back after the past 5 years........I dunno - I wasn't at either show, but all I needed to hear was that there was heart and hope in these shows.........obviously I'm praying that they've established their swagger and synergy by the summer tour, but I'm psyched by what I'm hearing so far.......to me this is a meet and re-greet and a respect of what got them to 1995-2004;   chops, heart and focus.......these shows are the sniffing butt stage.

Hopefully by the time we're sharin' one at Alpine in June - these concerns or observations are well in the past - regardless, I really believe this is a far different band than the post-hiatus band or even the one that played most of 2000....i just hear a respectful caution (as they regain confidence not only in Trey, but themselves) instead of a cocky sloppiness...........and the fact that they nailed Fluff as well as they did, after the whole Mike Says No situation proves to me that Trey the Jedi may actually be back home.

much love, Jedi - as always, have some hard-hitting tribal tracks to send to you;  FB me, good sir.

nab

Quote from: jedifunk on March 08, 2009, 12:12:41 PM
well i hope i don't fall into either of those categories.... i'm all for them being back, but lets not let the emotion of the moment cloud our judgement of the music.

i'm certainly encouraged, and ultimately more excited to see them at alpine, but they are far from the band of even 1999

I agree with you that some reality checking is in order.  I believe that that check is in understanding that these shows cannot be put into any sort of historical order until we see how things develop over summer tour.  Themes which may seem insignificant and trite now may develop into great things as time wears on.

In the meantime, I don't see anything wrong with enjoying the excitement of the moment with this understanding firmly in tow.