News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

06/15 - VWA at Encore Park - Alpharetta, GA - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by rowjimmy, June 15, 2011, 11:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: G. Augusto on June 21, 2011, 03:40:57 PM
But that's the difference.
I've pretty much come to hate the Phish scene now.
Why would I want to see multiple shows and deal with the scene inside and outside the venue?
That is one small part of it, aside from the music not doing it for me.

I've seen three other shows this year (LCD, Akron and Iron & Wine) and I had a much better time at all than I did at any show last year.
I guess it's easier going into these shows without expectations, tho.

And this is why I have the upmost respect for you and your musical decisions (even if if frustrates me sometimes!)

I could/would never argue that Phish is anywhere near the playing level they were at in the 90's and I will never fully understand the current disappointment of those who saw them in their prime.  You are the only person I know personally who firmly stands behind your position on the current state of Phish, and in turn is not supporting seeing them live.... and I respect that.

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 21, 2011, 03:50:03 PM
I enjoyed the Akron/Family shows that I saw this Spring more than the Phish show.
Energy was easily as high and the creativity was 10x what Phish brought.

I agree w/ the energy and creativity.  Their creativeness is the main reason they blew me away -- they were really doing things with music I had not seen/heard before.

Quote from: sophist on June 21, 2011, 04:03:32 PM
I thought the Fleet Foxes show I saw this year was way better than anything Phish has done that I've seen in 3.0

Fleet Foxes, eh? I promised you I'd give them a second chance.... hook it up yo :wink:

Bring in the dude!

sophist

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on June 21, 2011, 04:06:06 PM
Quote from: G. Augusto on June 21, 2011, 03:40:57 PM
But that's the difference.
I've pretty much come to hate the Phish scene now.
Why would I want to see multiple shows and deal with the scene inside and outside the venue?
That is one small part of it, aside from the music not doing it for me.

I've seen three other shows this year (LCD, Akron and Iron & Wine) and I had a much better time at all than I did at any show last year.
I guess it's easier going into these shows without expectations, tho.

And this is why I have the upmost respect for you and your musical decisions (even if if frustrates me sometimes!)

I could/would never argue that Phish is anywhere near the playing level they were at in the 90's and I will never fully understand the current disappointment of those who saw them in their prime.  You are the only person I know personally who firmly stands behind your position on the current state of Phish, and in turn is not supporting seeing them live.... and I respect that.

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 21, 2011, 03:50:03 PM
I enjoyed the Akron/Family shows that I saw this Spring more than the Phish show.
Energy was easily as high and the creativity was 10x what Phish brought.

I agree w/ the energy and creativity.  Their creativeness is the main reason they blew me away -- they were really doing things with music I had not seen/heard before.

Quote from: sophist on June 21, 2011, 04:03:32 PM
I thought the Fleet Foxes show I saw this year was way better than anything Phish has done that I've seen in 3.0

Fleet Foxes, eh? I promised you I'd give them a second chance.... hook it up yo :wink:
I don't think it's what you want man.  The main difference between us is what we crave out of music.  I'm very moved by lyrics, and I want psychedelic music too.  I know you love the groove based concept of Phish, and well, that's just boring to me when it's followed by whimsical lyrics.  We had a long discussion about 3.0 Possums, and that made our tastes very apparent to me.  3.0 possums bore the shit out of me.  It's a blues number with no room for improvisation.  It's contrived.  3.0 Phish isn't psychedelic to me either.  Sure they can get trippy for several minutes at a show, but that's not enough.  I think harmonies can be very psychedelic when done a certain way (Akron, Fleet Foxes, and Animal Collective all come to mind as modern acts with psychedelic harmonies).  Fleet Foxes also isn't groove based, it's about the big picture of how the baroque style vocals mash up with the simplistic folk compositions.  If I am going to listen to compositions, I want them to be quality songs, Phish's current song writing is complete garbage to me.  It's the dial tone of modern cheese dick arena rock. 

Having dropped at Alpharetta I, Raleigh, and Portsmouth of this run.  I never found myself 100% engulfed in the sound of the band.  There were times where I was intrigued by the direction of the music; however, it never pulled me in to what I would of wanted to hear while tripping.  To me, this is very telling.  If one of my favorite bands is losing me on my favorite drug, well, it sets off a lot of red flags to me.  It's also bothering to me that this band sounds "good" on mollie.  I think it's pretty deceiving and let's the band off the hook when the plethora of e-tards soak up their mediocrity (I'm thinking of the crowd reactions to Alpharetta II set II).   

To get back to the point, at Fleet Foxes I was hanging on every note.  I went in "sober" (a few beers and I smoked pre-show) and I had my mind blown away at how pristine they sounded live.  There were no epic lights or even people dancing, mostly just listening.  I found myself wanting to rage at each night of Phish, and I'm slightly bothered by the fact I couldn't stick to my goal of not tripping, and that I had originally planned to stay sober for the Alpharetta shows.  A part of me knows it sucks without chemical enhancement, and that's a shitty epiphany too. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

fauxpaxfauxreal

I don't really think the Fleet Foxes qualify as psychedelic, perse, personally, but I do enjoy them.

sophist

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on June 21, 2011, 04:28:55 PM
I don't really think the Fleet Foxes qualify as psychedelic, perse, personally, but I do enjoy them.
have you listened to them on psychedelics? 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

WhatstheUse?

I agree. After our countless musical discussions this past week I think we can both agree we are looking for different things in our musical explorations.

Our biggest differences seemed to arise in our views of improvisation/lyrics/compositions and our different views of their respective importance.

Musical differences aside, I'm still down to give Fleet Foxes another listen as I respect your musical tastes.

Bring in the dude!

qop24

Ok I think I can sum up this thread:

Everyone is wrong, except for whoever is posting.

Haters gonna hate

Musical opinions are subjective.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 14, 2011, 11:26:55 PM
Trey actually is totally inspired with ideas up the ass

Quote from: kellerb on July 06, 2011, 07:16:17 PM
When you're on droogz you don't remember which eye's supposed to be lazy

fauxpaxfauxreal

No.  But, I also wouldn't call all music that I think is moving and more pronounced under the spell of psychedelics to be expressively "psychedelic".

Tori Amos'd.

I don't know if I would actively seek out Fleet Foxes when I was tripped out, either...

That said, I don't understand how someone that likes music, can not like them.  All of their tunes sound really similar, but it's a good kinda similar.

sophist

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on June 21, 2011, 04:34:47 PM
No.  But, I also wouldn't call all music that I think is moving and more pronounced under the spell of psychedelics to be expressively "psychedelic".

Tori Amos'd.

I don't know if I would actively seek out Fleet Foxes when I was tripped out, either...

That said, I don't understand how someone that likes music, can not like them.  All of their tunes sound really similar, but it's a good kinda similar.

Well, I'd say give them a spin next time you're tripping.  Helplessness Blues is a beautiful album to hear while peaking on lsd.  I'm not saying it's more pronounced because of drugs, I'm saying I think that it's psychedelic because of how it is written.  That Brian Wilson style of harmonizing is very psychedelic to me. 

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on June 21, 2011, 04:32:54 PM
I agree. After our countless musical discussions this past week I think we can both agree we are looking for different things in our musical explorations.

Our biggest differences seemed to arise in our views of improvisation/lyrics/compositions and our different views of their respective importance.

Musical differences aside, I'm still down to give Fleet Foxes another listen as I respect your musical tastes.

Will do.  I'll up some stuff tonight, and shoot it your way. 

kellerb

Quote from: qop24 on June 21, 2011, 04:34:15 PM
Ok I think I can sum up this thread:

Everyone is wrong, except for whoever is posting.

Haters gonna hate

Musical opinions are subjective.

None of that shit, now.