News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R14/W01: 07-23-1993 Jones Beach Music Theater, Wantagh, NY

Started by Augustus, November 28, 2011, 03:23:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Augustus

This is where it all began!
Some fiery versions this night and a few that I'd never catch again.

QuotePHISH
07-23-1993
JONES BEACH MUSIC THEATRE
WANTAGH, NY

=========================================================|

SOURCE: 2xAKG460b/ck61 (FOB) > DAT (Teac DA-P20)
CONVERSION: CTD8000H-S > DAT2WAV > SOUNDFORGE 5.0
(Resampling from 48kHz to 44.1kHz, level 4 w/anti
alias filtering) > CD WAVE (track splits) > SHN

=========================================================|

DISC 1:

SET 1:
01. BURIED ALIVE >
02. RIFT >
03. CARAVAN
04. NELLIE CANE
05. MAZE
06. THE HORSE >
07. SILENT IN THE MORNING
08. PUNCH YOU IN THE EYE
09. RUNAWAY JIM
10. IT'S ICE
11. LAWN BOY
12. CAVERN

DISC 2:

SET 2:
01. ALSO SPRACH ZARATHUSTRA >
02. POOR HEART >
03. RUN LIKE AN ANTELOPE
04. FAHT >
05. MY FRIEND MY FRIEND
06. UNCLE PEN
07. BIG BALL JAM
08. YOU ENJOY MYSELF >
09. BIG BLACK FURRY CREATURE FROM MARS
10. CHALK DUST TORTURE
11. HIGHWAY TO HELL

ENCORE:
12. AMAZING GRACE
13. DANIEL

Lossless
Tagged lossy @ 256k

whatapiper

I have a feeling their may be a better turnout this round!
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

emay

Superfreakie

It's amazing that they played Jones Beach in '93 and yet you could still catch them in small theaters and "bars".

Was it sold out Aug?

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Augustus

Don't think so and this was before they added the upper deck.

Buffalo Budd

Looking forward to giving this a spin tonight.  It's been awhile since I've listened to this one.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

birdman

Quote from: Superfreakie on November 28, 2011, 11:43:23 AM
It's amazing that they played Jones Beach in '93 and yet you could still catch them in small theaters and "bars".

Was it sold out Aug?
They sold out Great Woods that summer, sold like 16000 tickets.
I saw them play for 800 the next spring in Alabama.
Paug FTMFW!

Augustus

Quote from: birdman on November 29, 2011, 07:40:58 AM
Quote from: Superfreakie on November 28, 2011, 11:43:23 AM

Was it sold out Aug?
They sold out Great Woods that summer, sold like 16000 tickets.
I saw them play for 800 the next spring in Alabama.

I think LI had a name from the GD and the Nassau cops.
Pretty sure '94 and '95 weren't sold out, either, as well as the Island Tour shows and the first two 'o9 shows.

WhatstheUse?

Buried Alive, Caravan, Nellie Cane, Faht, Uncle Penn, BBFCFM, Highway to Hell, Amazing Grace, Daniel ALL at your first?! Damn!  Did you have any idea you were getting some rare ones at the time?

eta: I suppose all those weren't ultra rare at the time, but surely some of them
Bring in the dude!

Augustus

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on November 29, 2011, 06:41:47 PM
Buried Alive, Caravan, Nellie Cane, Faht, Uncle Penn, BBFCFM, Highway to Hell, Amazing Grace, Daniel ALL at your first?! Damn!  Did you have any idea you were getting some rare ones at the time?

eta: I suppose all those weren't ultra rare at the time, but surely some of them

Yeah, not too rare for that Summer (except for Caravan), but most of those were my only versions.
Also, Ice with Trey and Mike on the gliders and acoustic versions of Horse and My Friend were also my only time (I think.)

Augustus

Pretty sure one of the balls wound up in the bay this night during BBJ.

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: Augustus on November 29, 2011, 06:44:59 PM

Yeah, not too rare for that Summer (except for Caravan), but most of those were my only versions.
Also, Ice with Trey and Mike on the gliders and acoustic versions of Horse and My Friend were also my only time (I think.)

Nice.  I'd love to catch an acoustic My Friend or Horse.
Bring in the dude!

PIE-GUY

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on November 29, 2011, 08:00:34 PM
Quote from: Augustus on November 29, 2011, 06:44:59 PM

Nice.  I'd love to catch an acoustic My Friend or Horse.

You should check out this second set... Trey on acoustic at the end of Tweezer into the Horse. Then again for the outtro of Fluffhead and the intro of My Friend.  Also, it was my first trip on paper.  I remember every second of this show in my head, yet I have never listened to a single recording of it.

QuoteFriday, 07/30/1993 The Veranda at Starwood, Antioch, TN

Soundcheck: Dancing Days, Makisupa Policeman -> Stir It Up Jam -> Have Mercy -> Pressure Drop -> NICU

Set 1: Contact > Llama, Horn, Uncle Pen, Stash, Esther > Chalk Dust Torture, I Didn't Know[1], Reba, Cavern

Set 2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > Tweezer[2] > The Horse[3] > Silent in the Morning > Poor Heart > Fluffhead[2] > My Friend, My Friend[4], Golgi Apparatus, The Squirming Coil, David Bowie[5]

Encore: Walk Away, Amazing Grace

[1] Fishman on Madonna washboard.
[2] Ending featured Trey on acoustic guitar.
[3] Trey on acoustic guitar.
[4] Beginning featured Trey on acoustic guitar.
[5] Squirming Coil tease from Trey in intro.

Notes: The Contact opener started before the band took the stage, as they were driven to the front in golf carts and performed the song off stage. Some fans didn't even realize the show had started until well into Llama, as that song was begun off stage. I Didn't Know featured Fishman on the Madonna washboard. The Horse, the ending of Tweezer and Fluffhead, and the beginning of My Friend featured Trey on acoustic guitar. The Bowie intro contained a Squirming Coil tease from Trey. The show took place in Starwood Amphitheatre's concessions area, which was roped off to accommodate 3,500 though fewer than 1,800 tickets were sold.

This show was part of the "1993 Summer Tour.".   
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

khalpin

Buried Alive - Love it
Rift - Very tight. We'll probably never hear it played this well again.
Caravan - A nice treat here. Nice Page solo followed by a tasty solo by Trey. All the while, Fishman keeps it hopping along. Unfortunately, Trey sounds more than a tad out of tune here.
Nellie Kane - Yep
Maze - Trey's early solo ~2:30, he's ripping it up.  Page keeps us thoroughly entertained for a bit and back to Trey.  Some tasty moments in the jam.  Not necessarily a highlight, but solid.
The Horse > Silent - Great to hear Trey on the acoustic, especially with a bit of an alternate intro.  Real nice.
PYitE - Not allowing for an extended breather, back with a bang.  The Landlady section has typically gorgeous playing by Trey.
Jim - A touch of dissonance ~4:20 for a bit.  Pretty standard otherwise.
Ice - A perfect example of that Summer '93 tightness.  Flawless version.
Lifeboy - A bit of an offbeat version with Page having some fun
Cavern - Standard

2001 - Standard
Poor Heart - Ripping version with quality solos by both Trey & Page.
Antelope - Gets a bit off center about 4:00 in.  There's some great energy in here.  Page is hammering away like crazy.  ~7:00 the dissonance starts.  Then back to some raging to build up to a hot finish. 
Faht - Sweet!!!
My Friend - I like how the Faht "sound effects" segue into this.  Always great to hear this intro on acoustic and I'm a huge fan of the song in general.  Rages appropriately.
Uncle Pen - Certainly played well, that's for sure.
BBJ -
YEM - The composed section is spot on.  We get to a swelling peak ~11:00 that shortly goes into a percussive, funky jam.  Great stuff here.  Progresses very smoothly.  Nice release ~14:00.  Cool jam >
BBFCFM - What a great segue.  Love the placement.
Chalkdust - Not what you'd expect after BBFCFM.  I don't know what the fuck that is from 3:30 - 3:45, but it's obviously pre-planned or it's a tease/cover.  Very cool.
Highway to Hell - Standard closer.
Amazing Grace - To finish it out.
Daniel - Another favorite of mine (and my son's).  I love Trey singing to his solo right before the finish.  A great finish.

You got a real nice first show, A.  Thanks for setting all this up (once again)!

whatapiper

7-23-93

Buried Alive - what more needs to be said?

Rift - not slowing down, I love these early versions as they remind me of when I first got into the band.   Trey has no trouble keeping up.  

Caravan - whoa sweet, Fish hammering away.  Very cool placement too.  While not the most cohesive version everyone sounds on point with their parts.   Fish crushing this and overall fun and loose.  

Nellie Kane - nice flow to the set.  Sounded fine

Maze - Again, great flow, intro played as it was meant.   Menacing version from the start as Page the mad scientist emerges while Fish sounds like he is out for blood.   This is about as tight as Aug's cherry before Showtime.   Well done.

Horse - acoustic! A little hard to hear on the tapes but great nonetheless.

Silent - just fine

PYITE -loving this set.  Aside from "the landlady" this one improved with age.  Extremely tight and fiery ending.

Jim - Fast start that quickly levels out.  Insane energy that makes me remember why I fell in love with this band.  No real "jam" but when played like its their last, that says a lot.  

Ice - Wish I could hear mike better as this is his most complex song.   While not the most perfect version I enjoyed the mid breakdown section and Page is all over his section that follows.   

Lawn Boy - sweet and a little extra love this version.  

Cavern - Like a good booty call this was loose and fun.  

-Really tight and energetic first set that got the blood flowing and made me hungry for more.   Great overall flow and song selection.  

2001- definitely business time and I like how Fish slows the tempo.   Short and sweet, another song that really developed with age >

Poor Heart - oh snap what we would say about that on the LST. Show just went into hyperdrive again.  Trey can play each note!   Solid 

Antelope - not a dull moment!  Hammerhead Trey with great tension and release.   

Faht - only a handful of versions left, very cool > 

MFMF - love the acoustic intro, pretty insane.  Slight vocal flub aside a tasty version.

Uncle Penn - a little too much knee slap for my taste but played well.  

BBJ - sounded like a 3.0 jam but tighter

YEM - intro lacks intensity but quickly finds its footing.  Trey seems to have lost a little steam.   Page picks up the pieces though and lights a fire because Trey finds the inspiration needed.   Sweet transition into > 

BBFCFM - Run August Run! 

Chalkdust - Rawk

Highway - never really been a fan.

Amazing Grace -  yep

Daniel - We've been here a few times already,  pass.

Somerhing I love about 93 is no section is too minor, everything is played with thought and purpose.  The dead space is even thought out and adds to the overall sound and tempo, especially with the Jim.   1st set is the highlight for me with maze the overall favorite.  While I enjoyed the unique setlist this 2nd set leaves something to be desired.   B/B+
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong