News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R2/W05: 06-26-1995 SPAC, Saratoga Springs, NY

Started by birdman, March 10, 2008, 09:54:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdman

One of my favorite shows from Summer 95.
Some nice stuff here.
Set II is mandatory listening...first jammed out DWD, Free smokes, best MPH evar?
You decide

Phish
1995-06-26
Saratoga Performing Arts Center - Saratoga Springs, NY

Source: B&K 4011s>Neumann P/s>D-10 Pro-II
Unknown Taper
Transfer: Tascam DA20mkII>VXPocket V2>WaveLab 4.0>wav>CDWave>wav>FLAC
Transferer: Phil Lucks (lucksp@comcastDOTnet)

Set 1
Disk 1: 66:47
1: My Friend My Friend 07:05
2: Don't You Wanna Go 06:49
3: Bathtub Gin 08:31
4: NICU> 05:41
5: The Sloth 03:53
6: My Minds Got a Mind of its Own 02:29
7: It's Ice 08:33
8: Dog Faced Boy 02:36
9: Tela 06:53
10: Possum 14:11

Set 2
Disk 2: 79:38
1: Down With Disease> 23:46
2: Free> 16:15
3: Poor Heart> 02:41
4: YEM 22:03
5: Strange Design 02:48
6: Antelope 12:02

Disk 3: (will fit onto end of disk 1) 09:21
1: crowd 00:50
2: E: Sleeping Monkey> 05:53
3: Rocky Top 02:37

http://www.sendspace.com/file/1qmcri (Disc 1)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ksef36 (Disc 2)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/j6r7mw (Disc 3)

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=513729

Paug FTMFW!

pnchundi

Bobafett

The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

bluecaravan521

oh shoot! i grabbed and listened to this show without realizing that it was this week's pick...Poor me... I suppose i'll have to listen to this amazing show again  :-D awesome pick birdman
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...

sophist

excellent pick sir!  I will load this puppy onto the ipod tonight. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

birdman

As I said, this was one of my favorite shows from touring that summer. The boys were heading into their final week of tour, heading back home. There was a great vibe in the air that night. Someone must have kicked Trey in the ass and told him to shake up the setlist a bit.
MFMF- Always a favorite opener of mine. Well played.
Dont You Wanna Go- Gets the feet moving.  The crowd had the balcony shaking-HARD. Only new song of the 1st set.
Bathtub Gin- Only the second and last one we were to see that summer. Never really leaves the main theme, but they play with the tempo and a nice jam develops.
NICu- Again, the second and last of the summer. LEO! Mike begins to really step it up here.
Sloth- First and only time played this tour. Love it!
MMGAM- Another rarity. Fun to see live.
Its Ice- Nice solid playing. After the spacey section they come back and really step on it. Mike propels the band to a wonderful peak before going back into the vocals. Solid version
Dog Faced Boy- 2nd and last of the tour. Nice little ditty. I enjoy listening to this more now, than I did seeing it then.
Tela-2nd and last... This one tiptoes around beautifully. Good sunset music. Nice work by page.
Possum- Finally. Something they can just tear into and send the crowd ito break with a bang. This one doesn't disappoint. Serious fire here.

This was a dream set for song hunters out there. I'm sure a few people checked a bunch of songs off their lists this night. So, nothing that really blows you away here, musically speaking, but what a terrific batch of songs they displayed to a mostly "hometown" crowd. I'm sure no one was complaining.
  And it only gets better with the next set....
Paug FTMFW!

Caravan2001

a good show....I was there and have heard it many times since, but I'm loading it now to give a fresh listen and review...thanks birdman

G. Augusto

My Friend - Truly a perfect version. Spacey "knife" section"...

Wanna Go - I freakin' love this tune. Rally wish they kept it in the rotation. Just an upbeat jam that is perfect for a Summer first set.

Gin - Solid. Short, dissonant version.

NICU/Sloth/My Mind - All played well, but standard tunes...

Ice - Solid and quite flawless. Nice work by Page out of the space section. He was pretty much tearing it up, dewds.

DFB - What's with the clapping?  :|

Tela - Page's vox sound better and more inspired than usual. Great version.

Possum - Is this THE Possum?! I love this version. Even without the LZ tease, these Possum rips!

Disease - This is one of those jams that I know note-for-note. Nice breakdown ~8 min in. Page was clavin' it up. There is a great groove that sounds like Makisupa vs. Spy Hunter. 12 minutes in is when it gets really meaty. Total insanity ensues. Speeds up during the last few minutes and segues sweetly into >>>

Free - Still new, but the crowd still goes nuts. This one trips out unlike any other version (a different kind of "Jam" than the Landover version). Turns into a great major jam.

Heart - Weird start, but a very fun version.

YEM - SICK DnB section. Very solid throughout. Mike is completely hookless.

Design - New and breathe-worthy.

Antelope - Solid and rollick-y. A staright ripper of an Antelope, fo sho.

MOnkey/Rockytop - They played this as the encore.

Great show and pick.
It might just be my fav of the Tour.
Solid A from a.

shoreline99

First set is good, like the MFMF. The bulk of the set is straight forward, the boys are tight.

Second set is fantastic; the songs flow well and the Disease/Free jams are relentless. Strange Design is one of my favorites as well. i love how they follow it up with a ripping Antelope to end.

A solid A for the second set, B+/A- for the first set
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

sophist

Quote from: shoreline99 on March 13, 2008, 10:13:53 AM
First set is good, like the MFMF. The bulk of the set is straight forward, the boys are tight.

Second set is fantastic; the songs flow well and the Disease/Free jams are relentless. Strange Design is one of my favorites as well. i love how they follow it up with a ripping Antelope to end.

A solid A for the second set, B+/A- for the first set
too long of a review, so I didn't read it  :wink:
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

shoreline99

thanks, man. it's been a hella week so you get what you get :D. i just didn't want the show club gestapo to throw me out of the group ;)
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

sophist

sophist

Set 1

My Friend My Friend
Nice version, and well played.  Always a great show opener in my opinion. 

Don't You Wanna Go
Cool song, I hadn't heard this in a long, long time.  A nice treat, and August is right, it should remained in the setlist rotation. 

Bathtub Gin
Brief but sweet.  Nice little mini-jam that gets dissonant for a bit. 

NICU>
Standard. 

The Sloth
Rockin' version.  Always a favorite of mine. 

My Minds Got a Mind of its Own
Standard Version. 

It's Ice
nice version, some interesting interplay during the "jam" section. 

Dog Faced Boy
Standard version, and I don't get the clapping either. 

Tela
Great version, and Trey shreds the solo.  Nice work by Page as well.   

Possum
Ah, an excellent version to end a great set.  Smoking guitar work by Trey!   

I give Set I  8.5/10 doses. 

Set II

DWD ->
Def a killer jam and an intense way to open the second set.  The last part sounds just like a King Crimson jam I listened to recently (off the Deceiver Volume I release).  I love it, nasty version.   

Free ->
Nasty segue and build up into Free.  I love how it gets nice and dark before Trey begins playing the D chord for Free.  Crowd eats this shit up and the boys feed off the energy.  Nasty version for sure with an atypical free jam in my opinion.  The boys really take it out "there" just like they did with DWD.  The jams lets you know its one of those psychedelic roller coaster sets that def takes you for a ride.  Another great segue into Poor Heart.   

Poor Heart ->
Atypical version with the unique start, but none the less a good treat and nice placement in my opinion. 

You Enjoy Myself
Spectacular YEM.  The whole band reaches an insane peak and I dig it. 

Strange Design
Nice placement.  This is my favorite Page song, and it fits wonderfully with the psychedelic flow of this set. 

Antelope
Nothing like a raging antelope to close the set, and this one soars. 

Encore: Sleeping Monkey> Rocky Top
cool segue, and a nice cool off after an intense second set.  Good encore imo.  I think I'll listen to the second set again. 

Second set gets 9/10 doses.  I give this show a solid A overall.  Great pick Birdman

susep

26June95

I.

MFMF - nice opening selection, our crowd, our friends...although obviously distinct from an actual jam, this tune does feature a release/tension structure.  The opening is cheery and upbeat before turning dirty, Mike sounding very much in front.  Interesting to note, this show is the eve. of the A Live One release which may or may not have influenced the band's playing this night.
Spacey ending.

Don't You Wanna Go? - Great tune, the Lowell version really impressive, cool to hear Phish continuing this classic.  As a big fan of blues in and around '95, hearing Phish play more blues then not was somewhat rare.  I've seen a lot of shows where the band opens with a high energy blues tune, good way to build energy.  Trey soloing great, nice lines/touches.  Extended jam, slight rotovibe sound/tone by Trey. 

Gin – solid.

NICU – cont. the dance party.

The Sloth - Keeping the energy high, cool to see Trey play the heavy bends this tune requires.

MMGAMOIO – variety.

It's Ice – this tune gives me wintery, icy imagery.  Nice energy, Page singing with a lot of compassion.  Textbook playing into mellow jam, trippy.  Trey adding interesting background effects before the jam knifes back into main theme.  Nice punctuation by Mike.   

Dog Faced Boy –  fade in features tease?, nice tune ala electric. 

Tela –  Forbin sees beautiful Tela,( one of a few Phish tunes I play on guitar).  Although linear in structure, Trey's solo is esp. focused and daring, Page provides some nice expressions.  Set/show enhancer.   

Possum – slight reprise of Don't You Wanna in genre, more rotovibe tone from Trey, feeding of a solid Mike who thumps along well, Trey sounding esp. bluesy.  Slight tension by Mike and Page, Trey modulates off that before back into IV.  Video game leads by Trey, Mike playing very intently.  Zep tease back into jam, solid version.

II.

DwD -  jam opens at 4:50, thematic beginning > nice playing by all, Mike delivering the goods, adding trippy-ness.  More group jamming near 8:30, rocking funk, jam evolves into post '94 trippy-ness, slightly reminiscent of 17Feb.97.  Experimental jamming, Mike leading the way.  Rhythmic Trey, cool jam around 16:15,
Fish adding unique time, sweet jam near 18:30,  jam accelerating.  Interesting jamming continues,
nice rock jam, Trey leading nicely.  Segue into >

Free – another Lowell throw-down,  epic combination out of DwD.  Crowd loving the new stuff, Mike adding some interesting lines, jam ascends slightly, Trey unleashing a screeching '95 effect, Page comping, Mike and Fish holding tight, mono Trey, jam near 7:01 propels the band into open waters.  This is one of my favorite jams from the Phish.  This tune being new at the time and a jam as powerful as this evolving is epic.  Great lines by Trey, Page switching it up to wha and something, B3, definitely trippy.  Trey sustaining, another cool jam spawns.  Fiery leads by Trey, nice attack, psychedelic into high energy lines, trippy outro D chord > crowd loving' it.

Poor Heart – Mike's song.

YEM – more icing, active jam, Page solo/tramps beginning at 8:30.  Trey drops in around 10:00, locking up w/ Gordo, mellow chunk, Trey and Fish digging deep.  Nice descending lines by Mike.  Bubbling Mike, inspired Trey, WMGGW-esque bends and sustain.  Fish riding, Mike funking along, jam becomes muddy, outro> vocal

Strange Design -  more Lowell.

Antelope –  solid.

E.

Sleeping Monkey
Rocky Top – love RT             

Conclusion:  Solid show, decent first set w/ Go, Ice and, Possum featuring unique jams and high energy.  The set 2 opening sequence of DwD>Free featured more experimental and successful improvisation, truly unique versions.  YEM augments any set. 
Because of the heaviness of the set 2 opening tunes this show is worthy of an A-.  Great pick Birdman.

MVP: Mike was the clear mvp in my ears, really out front the whole show and playing/adding unique lines and counterpoint.

pnchundi

"Pat, I would like to buy a vowel.  An E.  And the phrase is Space Camp at Saratoga Springs."

Jeebus, this show is a monster.  So I am hanging drinking a couple of beers, and doing other pre-show things, when I pop in this monster. 
MyFriendA departure from the usual My Friends, this one stretches out nicely.
Dont You Wanna GoGreat cover, really open and bluesy.  Trey steps out in front, but everyone else is right there with him
Bathtub GinReally rocking, man this set is off to a great start!
NICUStill dancing. 
Slothwow.  things arent slowing down, and partake of this offering from the hippy chick next to me.
My MindI guess this is their version of slowing things down!?!
Its Ice Really drawn out, Page sounds great, and Trey is doing his thing.
DogFaceBoyfinally a chance to catch my breath
Tela Really pretty playing by both Page and Trey
PossumBack up and moving, some interesting jams near the end

DWDWow.  Opening section is tight, but the jams are exploratory, almost sounds like we are lost in a tweezer jam. Or in space. 20 mins of intensity, but things rarely slow down. Good segue
Free A great early version of this song. The opening sections are well played, and it is not long until we are adrift again in the weightless vaccum of space.  After 15 mins when things seem to be winding down and we all need breather
Poor HeartWhew. A chance to relax a little, though this song is really fast.  Mike sings it well and Trey has a nice solo.  Fish playing "bluegrass" is hilarious
YEMUh oh. I think I just heard a Yem.  The w00k in the lot said take 2 but I took 3.  Things are getting really intense now.  They are really locked in and paying attention, as everyone takes turns leading things, pushing in different directions.  Good vocal jam
Strange DesignI was one of the Strange Design haters then, and I so regret it.  Everytime I hear this song, some little section catches me and moves me.  Sorry Page. I was glad to hear it revived later on.
AntelopeInteresting choice for a second set ending, especially such a deeply spacy set.  Good version.

Sleeping Monkeya little comic relief after all that second set nastiness
rockytopgood send off in the hot summer night

The first set is solid with some great jams, Dont You Wanna Go is worth a second or third listen.  The second set is what summer space camp was all about-that fiery intensity where everyone is taking turns leading things.  This is a great sounding show too, a lot of what I have heard from summer 95 was audience tapes and usually Mike was hidden in the mix. But not hear. Great choice.