News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Exercise Headaches

Started by VDB, July 29, 2010, 09:52:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDB

(Had posted this in the "Insanity" thread since there were some trainers reading that but changed my mind... new topic... Curious if the coaches or anyone else has anything to say about this:)

I've been physically active for most of my life, from sports leagues as a kid to running and weights from high school to today. On Monday I had something happen to me that I'd never experienced before. After jogging to the gym, like usual, I did my very first set of weights (bench) and was immediately hit with a severe headache as bad as I've ever had or probably worse. Great pounding pain localized along the back of the head and behind the ears, at times putting me on the verge of a mild nausea. I had to give up and go home. That night I was awoken at 4:30 am by the same headache. Took some ibuprofen and it eventually subsided.

Tuesday, I went back to the gym and this time lasted three sets before it kicked in again, basically right at the conclusion of that last set and my head was pounding before I'd even gotten up off the bench. Again I had to give up and leave. So that's three of these random, attrocious headaches in 24 hours. Each one died down within about an hour or so, I'd say... sometimes lingering around in the background as was the case for much of yesterday.

I did a little research online and it turns out "exercise headaches" or "exertion headaches" (they go by various names) are in fact a documented phenomenon, albeit not one with a single specific, identifiable cause, as far as I could tell. It seems the explanations range from "shit that just happens" to "your brain could be exploding, seek medical help right away."

Concerned about the latter possibility, I have made a doctor's appointment to make sure I don't have rupturing blood vessels in my head or something appalling like that. But at the same time, I'd be extremely unhappy if this turns out to be just some mystery symptom where the only reliable aversion technique is "avoid exercise." For me, that would be a very unpalatable solution, nigh unacceptable. Even "exercise more gently" would not sit well with me.

So there you go... anyone out there ever experience this? If you have, you probably know that it really sucks...
Is this still Wombat?

PIE-GUY

Pie-Guy has never gotten a headache from eating pie. Just sayin'.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

whyweigh5.0

possibly just from dehydration.  Drink more water while you exercise
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

VDB

Quote from: whyweigh4.5 on July 29, 2010, 10:17:20 AM
possibly just from dehydration.  Drink more water while you exercise

Always do, and I always hydrate well during the day.
Is this still Wombat?

whyweigh5.0

I get headaches when I exercise unless I constantly drink water.  Usually when I am on the bike
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

kellerb

Sometimes if I think about exercising, I get a headache.   :lol:

MiamiPhish

Different case than you, but when I first started the routine that I'm now on, running and lifting on alternate days, 5 or 6 days a week, I had basically a constant mild headache for the first week, week and a half.  This, though, was clearly from a pretty drastic change in daily physical exertion, and from what I've read and heard very normal.

Go see the doc and see what he's got to say about it.  The worrying part is how excruciating the headaches sound.

rowjimmy

It is advisable to see a doctor when you experience a new and severe headache condition especially when the problem is predictable (this makes it easier to diagnose.)

Be prepared with accurate details about your hydration regime. Just as it was here, it'll be one of the doctor's first questions.

antelope19

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 29, 2010, 11:02:04 AM
It is advisable to see a doctor when you experience a new and severe headache condition especially when the problem is predictable (this makes it easier to diagnose.)

Be prepared with accurate details about your hydration regime. Just as it was here, it'll be one of the doctor's first questions.

Rowknows
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: antelope19 on July 29, 2010, 11:07:45 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on July 29, 2010, 11:02:04 AM

Rowknows

Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

whyweigh5.0

I used to suffer from extreme migraines.  The pain would be so intense that there were times where I actually vomited from the pain.  Luckily they didn't happen all that often.  But when they did it was horrible and the only way for them to go away was to sleep.  Try falling asleep when it feels like someone pounding a screwdriver into your temples.  They only lasted a couple years and as quick as they started they just quit happening.  Now I haven't had one in probably 12-13 years

One thing that the doctor said would cause them is eating greasy food or lots of sweets.  I did notice that a few of them happened right after eating fast food