News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R14/W02: 02-13-1993 Bob Carpenter Center, University of Delaware, Newark, DE

Started by khalpin, December 05, 2011, 07:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

khalpin

Phish
02-13-93 Bob Carpenter Center, Unviversity of Delaware, Newark, DE

source: akg 460b+ck8"shotguns">custom preamp>teac da-p20 (in TS)
thanx to eric raimy for providing me with the dat clones that i long
searched for!!

transfered trough a za2 card using soundforge and cdwav.

enjoy!!!!
jimmy sellers
pjimmy@delanet.com

disc 1:
1.David Bowie
2.Bouncing Around the Room
3.Poor Heart
4.It's Ice
5.Glide
6.Rift
7.Stash
8.Lawn Boy
9.Maze
10.Golgi Apparatus

disc 2:
1.runaway jim
2.Wilson->
3.Uncle Pen
4.Tweezer
5.Lizards
6.Llama
7.You Enjoy Myself
8.Big Ball Jam

disc 3:
1.HYHU-> Lengthwise-> HYHU
2.The Squirming Coil
3.Cavern
E:
4.Amazing Grace
5.Tweezer Reprise

mp3s @ 320
Part 1 - http://www.mediafire.com/?c1npux181u3sb68
Part 2 - http://www.mediafire.com/?o6h6bhbkkinx6je
Part 3 - http://www.mediafire.com/?y6hkevkqvdrxfz7

My backup disc with the above shn files was shot, so I found this existing torrent:
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=542456 

It was barely moving for me, though.  I also have flac versions of it, but that's a no-no over at etree, so I uploaded them to my spam e-mail address's dropbox account:
user: halpinfest1@hotmail.com
p/w: showclub

DoW

if anyone really wants the shn fileset (not very likely, I know) I can jump on the torrent after work.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

Augustus

Nice, small place to see them.
That pic reminds me of Stabler Arena in Bethlehem, PA.

Bowie - Badass opener! That's how you start a Phish career! 1 minute intro is all they need. Composed sections are good. Trey begins the jam with some cool octave playing a la Wes Montgomery. Brief modulation ~6 minutes in. The band is listening really well to one another and they turn into the outro section all super tight-like.

Bouncing - Trey sounds a little out of tune, but you might have been too much of a n00b to know that this is a bathroom song anyway.  :wink:

Heart - I'll grant Page the winner of this solo competition.

Ice - Straight nailed. Is that Trey rubbing a bottle against the strings during the break?

Glide - Crowd loves it! They didn't know it when Fish was playing the beat the whole time, but they sure knew it when Mike and Trey came in! Trey is slightly out of tune again.

Rift - Mike drops some SER balmz at the end during the "shocked me" vocals.

Stash - Some nice meat. Real thrashy version. Page let's er'one know that the aisles must be cleared! Fist DE gig!

Lawn - Cool Trey solo, but I'm a fan of Mike's these days.

Maze - Playful intro thanks to Fish. Trey's solo is quite blistery. Liking the flow of this set.

Golgi - Little out of tune, but whatevs after that Maze solo. Tight set.

Jim - Great opener and really fiery. Crowd is supra pumped and still with the band.

Wilson - Slightly extended intro. 3 Secret Language calls throughout. Really liked this version. One of the more "open" ones I've heard.

UPenn - Some more bluegrass to showcase their chops.

Tweezer - More meats! Really enjoyed the Uncle Ebineezer section. Even if Trey came in one tone lower than he meant to, it still worked out well. They get right to the jam. Major key modulation ~5:20. This part almost reminded me of the Red Rocks 'o9 version for a second. Great tension before the band gets dark at 8:55. NIce one.

Lizards - Great placement and played well.

Llama - Bringing it back up with some more Gamehendge stuff. Equal parts noise and shrage. Trippy vocal stylings at the end.

YEM - Great composed sections. Cool rhythmic break around twelve minutes in. Lion Sleeps Tonight vocal jam.

BBJ - Your only, too?

Length - Pretty rowdy with the crowd still singing and Fish on the vac. Took me until 2010 to see my first.  :-(

Coil - Trey comes in like a 13 year old all crackly on the vox.

Cavern - The Other Set Closer.

Grace - For the showcase win.

Reprise - Nice and fast.

Overall, great show and an even better FIRST show!
Lotsa heavy hitters and a great mix of tunes to showcase/sell the band to the newer peeps.
I give it an A.

UncleEbinezer

Bowie - Always love a good Bowie opener.  High energy, great playing.  Trey does a good job working with Page.
Bouncin' - standard fare.  Loved at first, then HATED for a long time, but I'm back on it again.
Poor Heart - "cactus";  Excellent solo rotations.  Lots of fun and energy in 2.5 minutes. 
It's Ice - Trey gets all weird during the break.  Not a nice tense drop back into the song, but they stay a little creepy before exiting nicely.
Glide -
Rift - Page sounds good here.  Trey takes it up another notch on the energy meter.
Stash was solid.  Love it!  To me this is the highlight.
Lawn Boy - Trey gets the solo.  He does a great job with it.
Maze - Found myself really digging this one.  Page FTMFW! Then...Trey FTMFW!!
Golgi - Love Fish during the mid section.  Composed section sounded good to me
Runaway Jim - had lots of nice moments.  I enjoyed Fish a lot through this.  Everyone is high energy and it builds nicely before its conclusion. 
Wilson - No crowd chanting, its almost strange to hear that.  I like the rawness of it. 
Uncle Pen - love it.  Bluegrass FTW.
Tweezer - Solid.  Nice funk and rawk!  Really enjoyed this.  I've gone back a few times through and like it.
Lizards - Go page!!!!!  A little fast for my speed, but it is '93.  Lizards has always been a favorite of mine. 
Llama - This one didn't do it for me.  To me it was just noisey.
YEM- I like the beginning to the vocal jam.  Not just the standard WOWOWOWOWOWO and OOOOOOOOOO.
BBJ
HYHU-Lengthwise-HYHU - Love Lengthwise.  Fun getting the crowd in
Coil - Trey could be cleaner on the solo.  Page's outro is pretty!
Cavern - Ooops, lets try that beginning again.  :)  Trey doesn't really solo during any of the sections
Amazing Grace -
Tweeprise - Nice way to wrap up their debut in DE. 

P.S. - They only play DE the following year and thats it.

I give this show a B+
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

whatapiper

2-13-93

Set I

David Bowie - Whoa, great opener, a little playfulness in the intro and I really enjoy the overstated echo.   Composed section like a well oiled machine.  Trey leads a concise jam that stays very close to the Bowie theme.  I love hearing Trey play the ending way back in 93.   Solid way to open the show.

Bouncin - It happens, not sure if this is my ideal 2 spot after a Bowie opener but what can I say.

Poor Heart - Played well

It's Ice - Quick and tight out of the gate.  Trey does this pick scraping thing that seems to work around 6 min before getting back to the Ice theme.   Pretty standard overall.

Glide - Sweet lead in after the Ice ending by Fish.   I keep waiting for a cringe moment but it does not come.   Trey is finessing the opener nicely, we are glad glad glad this song used to be played well. 

Rift - Hello energy, that Glide gave some momentum.   Like I said on Aug's pick, these early Rifts are what this song is all about, fierce energy and Page/Trey rage.   Well played.

Stash - Extremely tight composed.  "Maybe so.." section very tight and Trey wasting no time.   Just nailing despite the short timing overall.

Lawn Boy - Breather

Maze - Crowd is feeling it and the band responds.  All in all another blistering Maze from 93.

Golgi - Again, love these early versions, slightly off sounding??   Love the ending especially, solid set with insane energy and nice flow overall.

We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

Buffalo Budd

David Bowie - Getting right to it, nailed the composed section.   Jam seems a little short but appropriate for an opener.  The boys seem super tight right into the ending.

Bouncing Around the Room - Many hate this tune but it's so short, it doesn't bother me at all.  You wouldn't have time to make it to the bathroom and back before...

Poor Heart - Love the playfulness of this version, more upbeat than others.

It's Ice - Damn straight, that's how ya play this tune.  Trey is doing some trippy shit with his guitar in the spacey section.  Into >

Glide - I notice Trey's doc is slightly out of key at certain points but it is barely noticeable, doesn't deter from this version.  Like the succint playing around the 2:50 mark.  Extra long pause before the final Glide, which goes into the start of...

Rift - As mentioned before, high energy, played well.  Would have fired the crowd up.

Stash - Couple of flubbed notes in there by Trey.  Some wild syncing around the 6:20 mark, Trey shredding away.   Some build at the 7:20 mark that sounds almost Guyuteish to the first peak.  Page sounds locked in on the second build. 

Lawn Boy - Dedicated to the state.  Seems a little faster than most versions, I miss the soft Trey solos and the endings that appear in the older LBs.

Maze - Like the intro alot.  They sound like they're on speed and Trey just dives into the opening solo and just tears through the 2nd one.  This tune would have picked up the energy to lead into >

Golgi - Nailed it.

End Set 1
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Pholy M. Pia

Bowie - Intense way to open a show. The band sounds locked in right off the bat. Nice laid-back intro to a quickly building jam. Very listenable Bowie.

Bouncing - Some jump up and down, some spin.

Poor Heart - Ripping good boot stomping. I like the little escalation at the end of Page's solo.

It's Ice - Competent composed section, with Page's vocal sounding good. Mike right on point with the slap. Nice dreamy intro to Page's solo with creepy noises by Trey, kept pretty standard otherwise.

Glide - They're glad!

Rift - Nice tight, fast rendition with really nice solos by Page and Trey both.

Stash - This is a great Stash. It doesn't plod in the composed section, as Fishman's work is especially good here. Trey creeping in with the solo as the vocals faded was cool. Great second peak back into the end vocals. Nice word's from Page and Trey for DE and an intro to>

Lawn Boy -Good stuff, Trey goes back to the nightclub. I too like the versions with Mike's solos a little better, but that was pretty smoove.

Maze - Something is odd about the pacing of this set, but I'm not sure if it bugs me or if I like it. Great work by all on this one though, High energy intro by Trey into Page's solo. He really gives this one a workout. Trey is bendy. Pretty hot version.

Golgi - Fun song to close the set.

end set I

Runaway Jim - Love it to open a set. Clappy crowd. Somewhat aimless jam. They stretch this peak way out, and wrap it up well.

Wilson - Nice quiet intro, I like the way this used to skulk around in the dark back before the chant. This version rocks! I've never encountered signals in a Wilson before and it works really well here. Very evolved playing on this tune.

Uncle Pen - Weird placement, great playing, energy level is high!

Tweezer - Nice. This one has good relaxed funkiness. Great Mike work and full band interplay before Ebineezer section. Nice open feeling to the beginning of the jam. Nice resolution led by Page ~5min. into key escalation. It gets noodley as a Tweezer properly should before Trey gets down to a nice dirty sounding lead and quickly shifts it to growly chord crunching. Back into a nice rip with Page cascades and Mike hitting bottom while fish hammers the time. Excellent cohesive jam. Really liked that one.

Lizards - Yes, please! This jumps with happy energy. I love Page's playing during the lyric breaks, so colorful! Just Page goodness overflowing. Damn, I love this song. To score this Lizards your first show is a real treasure!

Llama - Another favorite! Abrupt mood change! This one's really fast. Every one keeps up, but they sound a little frantic. Mike making some great deep groundings during Page's bit. Trey's solo seemed a bit scattered. Not bad tho.

YEM- Jeez, dream setlist. The energy transition from the Llama frenzy feels a little flat, but I love a YEM at any show. Page and Fish are standing out during the composed section. Pretty standard solid through the tramp section. Mike coming back in with some nice plucking, Good landing by Trey, then they get interestingly percussive for a bit with some truly awesome work from Fishman. Then they turn it back up for the rock peak. Awesome yeehaw Mike solo. The vocal jam is interesting and shuddery in the beginning, the Lion Sleeps was cheese. Decent job overall on this one.

BBJ - Audience participation!

Lengthwise - Moar Audience participation! And vacuum cleaner solos!

Coil - Trey is overcome with emotion after Lengthwise and his voice cracks. This is a beautiful song and they do it well here, love the extended Page outro.  Great placement.

Cavern - To close the set fits.

Amazing Grace - Good recording.

Tweezer Reprise - Naturally!

Another ripping show for a first!
Gets an A from me.
"Be in your own movie." - Ken Kesey

khalpin

The picture in the original post pretty much shows the general floor plan.  No higher levels.  It only seated about 4,000 people. I don't think it was sold out, but it might've been.  I think I paid $14 for a student ticket as I was attending U of D at the time.  It was definitely sold out when they returned the following Spring.

Bowie - The first notes of music I ever heard by Phish.  The energy builds very smoothly.  Then around ~7:15, Fishman goes double-time and it goes to the next level.  Then we're treated to a raging finish.  They really open this show with a bang.  Great stuff.  A lot of energy packed into a 10 minute Bowie.  Sadly, I have very little to no recollection of this opener, which is a bit ironic as it's certainly the highlight of the show, at least for me.
Bouncing - Seems to be a somewhat of a waste of all that energy that was built up to go into this.  Although it's certainly noob friendly, which would certainly be me at the time.
Poor Heart - I was definitely confused at this point.  What the hell kind of band is this?
Ice - What? Now they're covering the Benny Hill theme song?  Real tight.  Trey rubs his guitar against the mic stand  during the breakdown for some nice effects.  I don't know what this band is all about, but they're definitely not boring.
Glide -
Rift - Trey really rips it up at the very beginning of his solo.  Holy crap.  That 8 second bit is worth repeated listens.  Great stuff.
Stash - Dark, menacing and tight.  A couple of great peaks.
Lawnboy - Security really sucked at the Bob.  This was only the 2nd or 3rd concert at the venue.  Bob Dylan had opened the place the previous fall and there was maybe one other show there in between.  10,000 Maniacs, I think.  Page has a "WTF?" tone in his voice as he tells the crowd to clear the aisles and they dedicate this one to the entire state of Delaware.
Maze - Fishman is a bit playful in the intro.  Some great soloing and Trey adds some extra tension at the end to add that much more of a release to the final peak.
Golgi - To close out the first.

Runaway Jim - I'm not normally a big fan of Jims, but this one I really like.  Kicks off the second set with a bang.
Wilson - A playful intro and some secret language spice this up a bit.
Uncle Penn - Trey shows off his chops.
Tweezer - All four of them are in sync here.  We're treated to a nice cohesive full-band jam that gets you up and moving.  The release comes in ~9:30 followed by another one about a minute later.  Really solid Tweezer.
Lizards - Page gets his turn to shine.  And shine he does.  Pretty much flawless.
Llama - A fast version that packs a punch and is over almost before you can blink an eye.
YEM - The composed section goes off without a hitch.  Some cool syncopated, staccato playing by Trey in the beginning of the jam and then they drop into a nice groove ~12:30.  Fishman sounds particularly good to these ears on this one.  A bit of an extended vocal jam with the whole "Lion Sleeps Tonight" thing that they tack on at the end.
BBJ - This was definitely the thing that I remembered most about the show, solely based on how unique it was.  I did end up seeing it a year later when they played the same venue again.
HYHU>Lengthwise - My only Lengthwise!!!  I don't remember them playing the song, but I certainly remember a fucking vacuum solo.  What the hell is up with these retards?
Squirming Coil - Despite the shoddy beginning, it's pretty solid and has a really nice outro by Page.
Cavern - To close out the second.
Amazing Grace - without mics
Tweezer Reprise - Love it as a closer

I wish I could say that this show changed my life, but unfortunately I just hadn't progressed that far musically yet.  I was still mostly engrossed in heavy metal and progressive rock at the time.  I had almost no appreciation for live music and couldn't grasp the concept of a jam band.  I went to the show because a friend had an extra ticket and a bunch of my friends that were into Phish, kept telling me, "You play guitar, so you would probably really like them."  That's the only thing that got me in the door.  It wasn't until about 10 months later when I heard the studio version of Stash and I asked to borrow the CD from a friend so I could learn the song on guitar that everything clicked.  So when they played Delaware again in Spring '94, I was all in and that's really where it started for me.

Buffalo Budd

Runaway Jim - Typical opener, drawn out bass line before Trey comes in with some great rolls from Fish along with the clapping of the audience.  Jam doesn't really go anywhere too exciting and they wrap it up.  Nice start.

Wilson - Fast, extended intro and this crowd likes to participate, kind of glad they didn't chant back then.  Really enjoy the tightness of the opening verses, then they just stretch it out with the signals and the lead into blatboom.  This just revved this set up big time with this tune, wish 3.0 Wilsons were this fun.

Uncle Pen - I was a bit surprised when this started but enjoyed it, nice playing by each member.

Tweezer - I'm always psyched when the opening lick starts, usually turn it up.  Fish's snare is ringing through the auditorium on this mix.  They settle into a groove pretty early in the jam, Page is definitely taking the lead role here until 6:30 when Trey takes the reins and then they sync up and slowly take it out there.  Shit gets dark for a bit on the 2nd theme of the tune and then they bring it to a semi peak and finish it.  Love it, stellar version.

Lizards - Another fun choice.  Pay Jorgan at your service, definite MVP here.  Trey's rhythm is pretty much perfect and Page just plays bouncing licks off him during the crescendo.  Fantastic version would have been psyhed to have seen that..

Llama - Top 3 favourite Phish song for me, this show just keeps getting better.  Faster the better and this one does not disappoint.  I still don't know how they keep this train on the rails at this pace.  Trey just shreds his solo apart and takes it out there for a bit.  Then they get all weird to end it.  Taking tons of chance, really liking this. 

YEM - No letting up with the hits but they probably thought they should slow it down, this crowd must be exhausted after that frenzy.  Mike trying some nice stuff in the composed section, Page again just setting the pace and the others keeping up.  Like the funky playing Page is doing after the tramp section.  Trey takes over and then some percussion ensues, holy shit, Fish is a beast.  Mike's solo seems more exploratory than usual and sounds awesome.  Oh no, never a big vocal jam guy but will wait and hear where this goes, meh, better with lights I'm sure.

BBJ - Woulda been cool to be there.  Like it when Mike and Trey are punching it together for a few seconds.  Flubbed the ending abit.

HYHU > Lengthwise > HYHU - Fish is hilarious, what a card, that is all.

Coil - You can tell they're having a good time.  Go Page!!!  I always enjoy this tune and would probably think that was the end of the set but...

Cavern - Nice lead in to the song, rockin' way to end the set.  Tiny lyric flub that give them a laugh.

Amazing Grace - Crowd is surprisingly quiet  :clap: , so much better than Gind.

Tweezer Reprise - Yup, sending the masses into the winter night amped up.

Would have been stoked to be there, really sweet setlist and tons of energy.
Gets an A from me.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Caravan2001

This was fun show to attend.  Had a friend at school here so we made the trip down.  Saw the previous weekend stand at Roseland, then this one, and then missed ton.  Saw some in Colorado and then none until they came back to NY in April....It was a long ass tour for them, as they all were back then.  This tour was Feb through May...nuts.  We taped this show, and I spent the show in the section.  We also ran AKG's but I am pretty sure they were 414's and we ran a Casio deck, not a Tascam.  It was not really my deal though so I could be wrong.

Bowie: Great way to open the show, this is a super version. Composed sectiions are tight.
Bouncing:  I really liked this version and maybe I'm getting old, but I think I like this song now.  I was rocking out to it on my commute today!
Poor Heart:  Ripping-- I wish they could play it like this these days.  Super tight.
It's Ice:  This is shaping up to be a very tight set.  Not really a fan of this song usually, but this is a great version.
Glide:  I like the segue into this from Ice
Rift:  Again, solid version.  Very pedestrian setlist so far (save the Bowie) but they are kicking out some heat.
Stash:  A song I have been bored with over the years because they play it too much but this one got to me.  Love the ending chorus, they are linked up.
Lawn Boy:  Like Aug, I really like the Mike solo these days, but Trey does a good job and I love the Delaware shout-out!
Maze: Typical shredding 93 version
Golgi:  Wraps it up nice and tidy.

Jim:  Solid version, short and sweet.  Decent energy
Wilson:  Cool version, cool Simpsons signal.  The crowd is feeling it.
Uncle Pen: more burning cuntry lix from Trey
Tweezer: This is a pretty nasty and dark version for 93.  I was surprised by it. Get's kinda rock peaky, but in a good way....
Lizards: I like the placement
Llama: I like the placement
YEM: Good version, but I mostly impressed by the vocal jam.  Normally I can pass on the vocal jam.  When they got into the LST part my sub was humming.  Cool stuff.
BBJ: yep
Lengthwise:  Not as good (to me) as the 2/6 version, but cool and funny banter.  Also, respectable crowd interaction.  I like when JF first starts singing with the vacuum in that evil voice, have not heard that before....sick
Coil: Pretty.  This was the first tour where Page had the Grand piano and he makes it work for him.
Cavern:  This is not Frankenstein.
Amazing Grace:  I like the one on Aug's pick better, but they are a dime a dozen, really....
Tweeprise:  Hot way to end a solid show

This is a really solid show.  I love Spring 93 shows.  Even early one's like this are great.  By the time they wrap it up on May at UNH the band is on another level, but the energy level and tight playing were evident from the very start of this tour.  Thanks foro this pick, it got me to re-visit this after many, many years.  I even pulled out my analogs to give them a spin from Coil on.  They sound sick.  This is a great first show and I am sure many folks there were blown away.  I left the show thinking that it was OK, not great, but listening back now, I am surprised I could have ever thought that.  B+

whatapiper

Quote from: whatapiper on December 12, 2011, 06:51:04 PM
2-13-93

Set I

David Bowie - Whoa, great opener, a little playfulness in the intro and I really enjoy the overstated echo.   Composed section like a well oiled machine.  Trey leads a concise jam that stays very close to the Bowie theme.  I love hearing Trey play the ending way back in 93.   Solid way to open the show.

Bouncin - It happens, not sure if this is my ideal 2 spot after a Bowie opener but what can I say.

Poor Heart - Played well

It's Ice - Quick and tight out of the gate.  Trey does this pick scraping thing that seems to work around 6 min before getting back to the Ice theme.   Pretty standard overall.

Glide - Sweet lead in after the Ice ending by Fish.   I keep waiting for a cringe moment but it does not come.   Trey is finessing the opener nicely, we are glad glad glad this song used to be played well. 

Rift - Hello energy, that Glide gave some momentum.   Like I said on Aug's pick, these early Rifts are what this song is all about, fierce energy and Page/Trey rage.   Well played.

Stash - Extremely tight composed.  "Maybe so.." section very tight and Trey wasting no time.   Just nailing despite the short timing overall.

Lawn Boy - Breather

Maze - Crowd is feeling it and the band responds.  All in all another blistering Maze from 93.

Golgi - Again, love these early versions, slightly off sounding??   Love the ending especially, solid set with insane energy and nice flow overall.

Set II

Jim - They deliver with big energy and a scorching solo.

Wilson - Great intro and the energy ceases to stop.  Definitely playing this as it was intended and language throughout! 

Uncle Penn - Sounded good to me

Tweezer - Really tight overall leading up to the jam and they seem poised to take off.  Hints of 94 early in the jam and a solid peak laden ending.

Lizards - I'm a sucker for this but it does add to the set.  Great work from Page as usual and nailed overall.

Llama - Sweetness, the gold old days of really fun sets.  Roof Blown.

YEM - Love the playfulness in the intro whipping the crowd into a frenzy.  Extremely tight throughout and a note worthy vocal jam.  Cool breakdown somewhere after the 10 min mark. 

BBJ - Had to be there.

HYHY > Lengthwise >HYHU - Sickness

Coil - Not the best way to start!  That aside I really enjoy these earlier versions.

Cavern - Yessir

Amazing Grace - Worked and without mics!

Tweeprise - Raging way to end a solid show.

Great show, I give it an A.   Bowie may be my highlight overall but this show was solid pretty much throughout.   Sweet first show!

We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong