News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

PHISH IS FUCKING BACK!!!!!!

Started by WhatstheUse?, March 08, 2009, 12:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strangedesign

i think its safe to say the third night was the best, but both of the other nights have their jems as well. i personally loved Taste from night one, i just felt there was great cohesion between all members. for the second night i felt like the SOAM and Rock and Roll really stood out. overall i feel somewhat the same as jedi and everyone else in that they are back, but not to their full potential as seen in the late 90's. im excited to see how they improve after practice at the Jones shows.

cactusfan

Quote from: susep73 on March 09, 2009, 09:04:40 PM

It was nice to hear the band execute Foam flawlessly, while driving I was thinking to myself, "holy s***, 2009 Foam!"

wait, foam? that was a disaster, wasn't it? trey was a mess on that one. or am i getting confused? guess i can listen again, but that stood out as one of the sloppiest, i thought.

Ri©h

birdman

Quote from: cactusfan on March 10, 2009, 02:48:09 AM
Quote from: susep73 on March 09, 2009, 09:04:40 PM

It was nice to hear the band execute Foam flawlessly, while driving I was thinking to myself, "holy s***, 2009 Foam!"

wait, foam? that was a disaster, wasn't it? trey was a mess on that one. or am i getting confused? guess i can listen again, but that stood out as one of the sloppiest, i thought.

Wrong.
Foam was on the $$$$.
If you consider it a disaster, you must hate phish :roll: :-P
or you MUST be confused.
Paug FTMFW!

jedifunk

yes, the foam was tits... very well executed
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

sunrisevt

I wasn't disappointed with the playing--sure, maybe some of the really complicated sections could have been tighter , but it hasn't been 1988 in over 20 years.

It did seem to me, at the show 2nd night, that the jammed transitions b/w songs might have been a little forced, and that they were a little off with the vocals, but I'm reserving judgment until I listen all the way through.

Among many, many high points for me, Undermind was a treat.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

PIE-GUY

:phish: :phish:

Phish is so back it's readicculus! These shows made me think of the fall of 95 - after the long and often aimless jams of the summer Phish came back and re-focused everything. I love shows with crazy long jams like the Providence Bowie show, but then one of my absolute favorite shows is 10/29/95 in Louisville. There were no "out there" jams at all, yet the show just blew me away from start to finish. Look at this setlist:

Set I: Buried Alive > Poor Heart, Julius, Punch You in the Eye, Cars Trucks Buses, The Horse > Silent in the Morning, Split Open and Melt, NICU, Gumbo, Slave to the Traffic Light, Sweet Adeline
Set II: Makisupa Policeman -> David Bowie, The Mango Song, It's Ice -> Kung -> It's Ice -> Shaggy Dog -> Possum -> Lifeboy, Amazing Grace
Encore: Funky Bitch

Nothing huge there at all... Now look at this one:

Set I: Fluffhead, The Divided Sky, Chalkdust Torture, Sample in a Jar, Stash, I Didn't Know, The Oh Kee Pa Ceremony, Suzy Greenberg, Farmhouse, NICU, Horn, Rift, Train Song, Water in the Sky, The Squirming Coil, David Bowie
Set II: Backwards Down The Number Line, Tweezer, Taste, Possum, Theme from the Bottom, First Tube, Harry Hood, Waste, You Enjoy Myself
Encore: Grind, Bouncing Around the Room, Loving Cup

They could almost be from the same era. I love it!!

BTW, It was great meeting a bunch of you this weekend. Had a freakin' blast! Still have no voice today.

Peace

-Pie Guy
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

rowjimmy

PIE!!!

Good to see you posting, dude!

And, btw, I totally agree. they don't have to stretch to smoke.

MiamiPhish

haha, word... I saw you Friday night Pie-guy and I was certainly wondering what the shirt was supposed to mean, but I think I've figured it out.  You like pie.
Who doesn't!?!?!

birdman

PIE!
Glad you stopped by.
Now scram, n00b! :-D
Paug FTMFW!

blatboom

what up PIE-GUY

Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 10, 2009, 09:49:05 AM
but then one of my absolute favorite shows is 10/29/95 in Louisville. There were no "out there" jams at all, yet the show just blew me away from start to finish. Look at this setlist:

Set I: Buried Alive > Poor Heart, Julius, Punch You in the Eye, Cars Trucks Buses, The Horse > Silent in the Morning, Split Open and Melt, NICU, Gumbo, Slave to the Traffic Light, Sweet Adeline
Set II: Makisupa Policeman -> David Bowie, The Mango Song, It's Ice -> Kung -> It's Ice -> Shaggy Dog -> Possum -> Lifeboy, Amazing Grace
Encore: Funky Bitch

http://week4paug.net/index.php?topic=9414.0

redrum

PiE-GuY up in the heezy!

welcome to the 'Paug bro, best place on the web.

me n my girl were either 2 seats over or the row in front of you Sunday night.

good times!!!
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

Marmar

I'd have to say that they are far from being "back".....yet also far from being "gone".....

They have a LOT of work cut out for them if they want to do this right and keep what respect they do have left.....it wasn't BAD, it wasn't GREAT, but at the same time it wasn't THAT good imho.....

Seriously now...think about this.....Say some other huge band/group got back together after a long time away, and they played as (and I'm using the term loosely here) sloppy as these were (figuratively speeking compared to what we know they are capable of)......Ya, sure you're glad they're back and playing music, etc etc etc.....BUT.....

As fans we are WAY too forgiving at times......

If ANY other band pulled this stunt, we'd be all over their asses for the lackluster performance....but since it's Phish, we're ok with that.....

Sorry, I'm just a grumpy pants here this AM....

and for the record....I hope the folks who got my tix had a good time.....it feels good knowing that I didn't waste em, cuz I know if I had been there I wouldda left after the first night....
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

rowjimmy

It's not like they're slopping all over the place.

Compared to the dogshit from '04 they are better than back.

Marmar

We won't even count 2003-2004....those years don't even exist....

Compared to those 2 years, a pack of 4 dogs farting into trombones would be more "back" than those years of slop....
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.