News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

PHISH IS FUCKING BACK!!!!!!

Started by WhatstheUse?, March 08, 2009, 12:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sophist

I'd say you're showing a lack of music knowledge if you think that stands anywhere near Trey 20 years ago. All due respect, but the clip you picked is crap.   It's a 3 note hammer-on, using the whammy pedal.  That's using effects to mask shitty technique and lack of proficiency.  20 years ago, he would have blasted out some complex arpeggio that runs the length of the fret board.  In it of itself requiring a vast understanding of music theory, balls that fit in a wheel barrow, and god like precision to pull it off. 

That's the fucking difference.    He is unable to do that now.  He doesn't think musically anymore and it shows.  It's not the intelligent musician he once was, and that comes down to disciplined practice.  There's hardly any if at all, playing the changes, or going outside the standard scale box when he solos.  What originally made think how fucking incredible Trey was in the 90's.  There wasn't a limit to what he could do.  There's only limits now. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

rowjimmy

Just admit it, Ramz, you hate music.

VDB

Quote from: sophist on November 18, 2013, 11:20:53 AM
I'd say you're showing a lack of music knowledge

I did say I'm not a guitarist, so I freely admit I'm only reacting to what I perceive through my layman's ears.

Quote from: sophist on November 18, 2013, 11:20:53 AM
It's not the intelligent musician he once was, and that comes down to disciplined practice.

Soooo that's basically what I'm saying:

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on November 18, 2013, 09:52:50 AM
I'd think that means his hand is *physically* capable of playing fast, dextrous shit, it's just that with less practice it doesn't come as easily, as often

This all started with a comment that opiate use has damaged Trey's nerves and that's why his left hand sucks, and now I believe everyone's saying he could be better if he just practiced.

So basically everyone agrees with me.  8-)
Is this still Wombat?

Itsnotanexperience

I will say that the 11/2/13 DWD is a great example of Trey doing what he can now, well.  Tasty leads out of the composed section and a nice blend into the jam.    I just  hope he maintains this in the future.

I'm not convinced he would be better with practice (for leads) but agree it wouldn't hurt one bit:)

antelope19

Well, I think we're gonna find out if he plays better with practice at the upcoming MSG run. Recording this new album, regardless of how you feel about it, is probably the closest thing they've had to practice in years.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Itsnotanexperience

Quote from: antelope19 on November 18, 2013, 12:16:35 PM
Well, I think we're gonna find out if he plays better with practice at the upcoming MSG run. Recording this new album, regardless of how you feel about it, is probably the closest thing they've had to practice in years.

True, although it (Joy) did little to prop up his chops in 2009.

Itsnotanexperience

One last thought as some of us lament the loss of trey-shred is the fact that he pulled off some highly flashy playing without sounding like a shred-head idiot.  That was pure genius in itself.

sunrisevt

Quote from: Itsnotanexperience on November 18, 2013, 12:19:15 PM
One last thought as some of us lament the loss of trey-shred is the fact that he pulled off some highly flashy playing without sounding like a shred-head idiot.  That was pure genius in itself.

This is what I appreciate in 3.0 in general. I love "shredding Trey" guitar but I love "pulsing atmospheric" Trey moving in & around the other musicians, too. I can hear that, and see balance and maturity in the entity of  :phish: .
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

McGrupp

Quote from: Itsnotanexperience on November 18, 2013, 12:17:53 PM

Joy didn't really require chops...

I haven't listened to a note of Wingsuit yet so I can't speak for that.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

mattstick

Quote from: McGrupp on November 18, 2013, 03:24:26 PM

Wish I could say the same...

Itsnotanexperience

No, and nor will Wingsuit - but if the point is that practice in preparation for recording may help out Trey's overall ability, I don't see any recent precedent to support that.

Hicks

I see you've completely blocked TTE from your memory, good for you. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Itsnotanexperience

Quote from: sunrisevt on November 18, 2013, 12:55:34 PM
Quote from: Itsnotanexperience on November 18, 2013, 12:19:15 PM

This is what I appreciate in 3.0 in general. I love "shredding Trey" guitar but I love "pulsing atmospheric" Trey moving in & around the other musicians, too. I can hear that, and see balance and maturity in the entity of  :phish: .

I get that and I agree, however, I think what some of us are missing isn't just the raging solos of DwD (12/11/97, 9/12/00) but the overall flow of solos like he played in the 6/30/00 Halley's or the 7/22/97 Taste (obviously countless examples - these are the first coming to mind today).   Think of the overall flow of Trey's playing in the 1/1/00 DwD - after the main solo it's just gorgeous, relatively easy to play, melody and vibe.........does he get there now?   Occasionally, but rarely is it quite as sublime.   I find that in spots, I can hear Trey thinking about what to play instead of playing a line with authority.   Chops help, but there's still something missing in his execution.

But to give credit where it is due, that 11/2 DwD is fucking great.   

Itsnotanexperience

The Dick's Gin from September comes to mind as an example of him coming somewhat close to Trey of the past but falling way short.  I honestly love that Gin but compared to a standard Gin from even 2000, it's not the same deal.   

antelope19

Quote from: Itsnotanexperience on November 18, 2013, 03:34:07 PM

No, and nor will Wingsuit - but if the point is that practice in preparation for recording may help out Trey's overall ability, I don't see any recent precedent to support that.

I would think that simply playing together, no matter the material, can only help them.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment