News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

PHISH IS FUCKING BACK!!!!!!

Started by WhatstheUse?, March 08, 2009, 12:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobafett

SER!  I am so glad that there is some solid playing and growth with the boys.  I was so over the past few years and the stale playing.  The AV2 show really felt like Sunday church to me, left feeling refreshed and happy.  I only hope this continues and I can see em again soon.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

jedifunk

this from that medium post ...
After seeing over 100 shows I sometimes wonder "what song am I chasing now?" At some point I stopped chasing songs altogether and starting focusing on jams as most tour vets do. Now I chase shows and not songs. It doesn't matter to me what Phish plays anymore — it's all about how they play it.
this is totally me these days ... i might not know fuego the way others do, but if that jam out of it is hawt, i'm all over it.

and this ...
I also found that Phish tended to dwell on a particular musical idea for longer in the past than they do now. This is probably simply due to the fact that they latch on to musical idea faster than the used to (read: their ears have improved) Another reason why they may be crystallizing motifs more rapidly these days is because the motifs are being articulated more clearly and with less "searching" from each member than previously required. Thus they are not only arriving at their musical destinations faster due to each member being more in touch with his inner voice, but each of those inner voices has matured to the point of more clearly speaking to each other musically. What I am trying to say here is that Phish is peaking in their improvisational efficiency and clarity right now. If your goal is to receive direct musical communication from the band — there has NEVER been a better time than right now.
this bothered me up until VERY recently ... one of my biggest gripes actually, but this totally makes sense ... very few jams stick to a theme for more than a few minutes.  again this bothered me, but when i think about it, i also get just as annoyed by 1.0 jams where they stay in the same groove for too long (wolfmans heavy metal jam 11.30.97 clearly springs to mind here)...

this was a good article ...
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

sophist

I just skimmed this whole thread.  Holy shit.  So interesting to watch what was a very slow uphill climb back to being "fucking back."  The different rationalizations throughout the years that we had to have to suffice for what was mediocre Phish.  I also forgot this whole thread started because of 3/7/09.  I'm fucking terrified to listen to that show now.  I tried every anniversary of the reunion run to get through those three shows on tape or video, and I couldn't ever do it.  Looking back now, it was special to be there, but what a fucking long, strange, disjointed journey it has been for Phish.  I'm finally listening to the MPP run, and I couldn't be happier with their progress.  I love where the band is at right now.   

I think it can pretty much be summed up - Trey without the chops = meh Phish.  At least to me.  I think that was the game changer this summer.  He relearned guitar and how to be the leader of the band. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: sophist on August 27, 2015, 09:57:06 AM
I also forgot this whole thread started because of 3/7/09.  I'm fucking terrified to listen to that show now.

Best show since 97 brah!  :wtu:
Bring in the dude!

Hicks

I recently deleted a bunch of 09-11 shows from my hd, it felt good.   
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

phil

Quote from: Hicks on August 27, 2015, 11:51:07 AM

Just curious, which did you keep?
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

jedifunk

whaaa??? people still keep copies of shows?
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

rowjimmy

Quote from: jedifunk on August 27, 2015, 12:33:48 PM

Look, you've been out of the loop for a while.
Try not to let anything surprise you.

jedifunk

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 27, 2015, 12:36:16 PM

Look, you've been out of the loop for a while.
Try not to let anything surprise you.
:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

#truth #wisdom

i did just recently find out that the band phish got back together
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

Hicks

Quote from: phil on August 27, 2015, 12:19:30 PM

Just curious, which did you keep?

Since I don't have time to listen to complete shows anymore, mostly what I did was to trim the fat and keep a couple highlights from each show.  Although there were some that didn't really have anything worth saving.   
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Hicks

Why wouldn't I?  They are in better quality than what I can stream from phishtracks or wherever.   

jam>

Quote from: Hicks on August 27, 2015, 01:23:29 PM

Why wouldn't I?  They are in better quality than what I can stream from phishtracks or wherever.   

Exactly. If I like something I want to listen to it on high res FLACS on my home system.

jedifunk

Quote from: jam> on August 27, 2015, 01:31:15 PM

Exactly. If I like something I want to listen to it on high res FLACS on my home system.

i'm glad people are willing to tell themselves they can hear a difference ... and/or that the slight upgrade in quality is worth all that storage space & time to catalog

access & ease of use are my main priorities in 2015, and the fact that i can have any jam ever at my fingertips all the time is worth the slight downgrade in audio quality
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

Hicks

Quote from: jedifunk on August 27, 2015, 03:56:26 PM

i'm glad people are willing to tell themselves they can hear a difference ... and/or that the slight upgrade in quality is worth all that storage space & time to catalog

access & ease of use are my main priorities in 2015, and the fact that i can have any jam ever at my fingertips all the time is worth the slight downgrade in audio quality

If you can't tell that many of the phishtracks sources sound like dog balls, not to mention the annoying gaps between tracks, I dunno what to tell you. 

Anyway, collecting music/curating my collection is my hobby, I enjoy it. 

jedifunk

Quote from: Hicks on August 27, 2015, 04:14:59 PM
Quote from: jedifunk on August 27, 2015, 03:56:26 PM

If you can't tell that many of the phishtracks sources sound like dog balls, not to mention the annoying gaps between tracks, I dunno what to tell you. 

Anyway, collecting music/curating my collection is my hobby, I enjoy it.
i agree that the pause between tracks is annoying, but my listening habits typically don't follow a set, so that is less an issue.

as for sound quality, perhaps its how i listen to phish these days ... from my laptop, or phone via bluetooth to my car or small portable speaker ... nothing of a high enough quality i suppose to hear much of a difference.

also, for 95% of the phish catalog, its one aud source vs another ... its only the 2.0 and above that there are soundboards and i don't listen to a lot of those shows.

like i said, my top concerns are access & ease of use ... streaming takes care of that
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio