News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Mac Tablet!!! ~ iPad Thread

Started by rowjimmy, July 28, 2009, 12:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

good article here, summing up the rumors and their sources: http://gizmodo.com/5324557/apple-tablet-probability-meter-80-chance-4-months-away

I wonder if I will want this. It looks like I'll be in the market for a new laptop come September... could this be it?

edit: Skip to here to see it actually get announced http://week4paug.net/index.php?topic=13065.msg390688#msg390688

jedifunk

i don't think i'd want a tablet
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

mattstick

Seems a long way off, I'd be really surprised.

jedifunk

granted, when the rumors first started about the iphone, i didnt want one of those either... and look at me now :roll:
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

rowjimmy

Quote from: mattstick on July 28, 2009, 02:16:03 PM

Seems a long way off, I'd be really surprised.
I dunno.. If the Financial Times article cited there is accurate it's gonna be sooner than you think.

Given the rumblings out there right now I don't think Apple Insider is crazy to predict 2010.

jedifunk

i agree... most sources in china are saying september... so i'd guess that macworld in january would be the time of the actual announcement
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

jonyem

I love the idea of this, not so much as a laptop replacement, but a iPod touch & Kindle 2 replacement.

rowjimmy

It's funny but, I don't see it as a kindle replacement. Stanza on my iPod Touch does that already.

Buffalo Budd

And to think, I've never even owned a cell phone.   :roll:
That will probably change with kids.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

rowjimmy

They're useful when you need to be found.

jephrey

I'm not sure Apple(Steve) sees the demand yet.  With the power they can pack into a phone, a tablet could really be a fill the gap device.  But as we know, Apple's reluctant to fill those gaps.  It's kind of like you're either a beginner or expert.  There are many uses for a tablet, and Apple is the type of company that is likely to just go for it - wouldn't want anyone stealing the thunder.
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

whyweigh5.0

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

rowjimmy

The accessories market alone would be killer.

Custom breakout cables for USB, FireWire800, data.
Custom stands/mounts for use at a desktop with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse.
Think of the sleeves and screen protectors!

There's a shit-ton of money there alone.

rowjimmy

Given all the heat on this to the point that it looks like a lock for January, I thought I'd give her a bump...

mattstick

I don't really see why you would prefer a tablet to a Macbook, pricing?

When you're at home you use a keyboard but away from home you type on it like an iPhone?

I'm sure I'll want one at some point - I already want the whole product line, but why I want this isn't quite clear.