News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

MacBook Pro repair or sell for what its worth?

Started by emay, February 17, 2014, 04:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emay

So I have a old 08 MacBook pro.

this one.

It does not power on correctly, when I try to power it on it gets to the log in screen and then cannot go any further.
There are these green lines that run up and down the screen when I try to turn it on, and then it says internal hardware damage cannot power on....something along those lines.

I took it in the apple store and it needs a new video card for the display to work. He says that runs around 300-500 bucks to repair. Also, the harddrive could be damaged because we could not access the harddrive remotely through the apple support guys computer, so there were a couple more steps to try to see if we can save anything off the harddrive, but he said he was not gonna check those routes to get there until I decide to ship it off the apple support center to get it fixed.

Is this laptop even worth making it workable for 300-500 bucks?
Should I just sell it for scrap parts...and how much do you think I could get for it, if I do? Whats the best place to go sell these used apple parts?
thanks

antelope19

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

emay

lol well according to that
apple will give me 0 dollars for it.

This other site I looked at would give me 86 bucks

mattstick

antelope19

Quote from: mattstick on February 17, 2014, 04:24:40 PM
Take the $86.

Yeah, I'd bet your options will be extremely limited for a 6 year old laptop. 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

VDB

I would take a look at craiglist (or ebay) and see what comparable models are going for. Around here, I see 2008 MBPs listed for anywhere from $165-550. Who knows, maybe you could get someone to pony up $300 for yours. If the entire logic board is shot you would be looking at an even more expensive repair. And if the HDD is dead, add another $50-150 depending on how big and fancy you want to go.

If you are itching to get a new computer then you should do that. If you just need something simple and functional, consider that repairing this will cost less than a brand new MBP.

I have a 2006 iMac, whose logic board I've replaced once (which also served as an upgrade) and the HDD twice. In both cases that made more sense than just replacing it outright. Nowadays it runs fine and does what I need it to do. I'm looking forward to celebrating its 10th birthday in 2016.
Is this still Wombat?

PIE-GUY

I had a 2006 macbook pro that I brought in to the genius bar - they said they could replace the motherboard for $x.xx and/or replace the HDD for $x.xx, or I could buy a "flat rate" AppleCare one-time repair that would cover all of it... basically, they refurbished the whole laptop and it came back clean and running as well as ever. They don't advertise these flat rate repairs, but they do them for all notebooks. I can't 100% remember what it cost, but it was a whole lot cheaper than a new notebook and it gave me about 3 more years of use before I finally got fed up and bought a new iMac.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

sls.stormyrider

There are many 3rd party mac repair places (at least in the Boston, MA area). You might want to check something like that out.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."