News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

RIP David Crosby

Started by mopper_smurf, January 20, 2023, 01:04:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopper_smurf

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

mistercharlie

RIP. One of the greats.

My 'neighborhood' will never be the same. (The street north of me is David, I live on Stop 13, and the street south of me is Crosby). I always joke about his mom yelling "Damnit, David Stop 13 Crosby! Get in here!"
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

PIE-GUY

If you've never heard this version of Guinnevere with Jack Casady on bass, you must listen now. It was included on the CSN box set back in the 90's. It is absolutely brilliant. Read on:

QuoteFrom the Atlantic Records Box Set "CSN" (7 82319-2)
Acoustic Guitar/Vocals/Songwriter: David Crosby
Bass Guitar : Jack Casady
Bouzouki: Cyrus Faryar
Engineer: Bill Halverson
Mixed by: Stephen Barncard
Recorded at United Studio B, Hollywood, June 26th, 1968
"Guinnevere" painting by: Shannon Lee
David Crosby: When all my friends were listening to Elvis and 1950s rock 'n' roll, I was listening to Chet Baker, Gerry Mulligan and West Coast jazz. Later I got involved with the folk music scene. After getting kicked out of the Byrds I didn't have a plan, but I went back to my roots, and "Guinnevere" is a combination of these two influences. This was a demo I cut on borrowed studio time, hoping to land another record contract. Cyrus Faryar from the Modern Folk Quartet played bouzouki; Jack Casady's bass still gives me chills, it's like another voice. People ask, 'Who was Guinnevere?' Songs are seldom about one person. It's a love song, an answer to some other love songs, and part of a conversation.
I love this version of "Guinnevere" because of the beauty that Jack Casady and Cyrus Faryar brought to it. That was delicious. I thought I was making a record at the time, but I didn't know for whom. I just got in the studio. I would have put the track on the first CSN album just as it is, but Stephen and Graham wanted me to try the song over again so they could add their own things to it. But Jack was such a brilliant and adventuresome player – he had incredible tone and sound, and played like no one else. A towering monster of a musician.

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

sls.stormyrider

He was a giant.
Great version of Guinnevere, thanks for posting. Jack Casady is amazing - catch Hot Tuna if you can.

https://open.substack.com/pub/alanpaul/p/rip-david-crosby?r=hztq5&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=email
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

rowjimmy

Croz was the man. Got the news last night and fired up "If I Could Only Remember My Name" immediately. He made that record as a means to escape grief and the passion that runs through that record is unmatched.

Below is what I wrote on Instagram about him.

He will be missed.

Gutted by the passing of David Crosby. An immense talent with a stunning voice, Croz was as flawed as any of us. But he took the hurdles at whatever pace he could muster and carried on making music that will long endure. The Byrds and CSNY are enough of a resume but his collaborations with Nash and his solo catalog are equally remarkable.
"If I Could Only Remember My Name" has gained a much deserved reappraisal in recent years. I can remember the first time I heard it in my parent's basement after absconding with a copy from my record shop gig. I was floored by the sounds and, playing it again last night, I am still overwhelmed by the power in those tracks.
His more recent output hasn't struck near as many chords with audiences as they deserve. Terrific writing, singing, and composition abound as he and his collaborators continue to make music that is uniquely Crosby.

My heart goes out to his family, friends, and all who loved him.
We can take solace in the knowledge that anyone who creates such a beautiful legacy never really leaves us.