News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Rd 4 - 5 - Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited v 2 - Michael Jackson - Thriller

Started by UncleEbinezer, April 01, 2012, 12:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gah

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on April 02, 2012, 02:36:22 PM
I am not trying to deny that Thriller is an iconic album and worthy of praise and I also agree that Highway 61 is not Dylan's best work (I reserve that title for BOTT).  I just can't give a vote to an album that, while very groundbreaking, held no significance to me and rarely, if ever, gets any playback in my house.

That's because you're Canadian.  :-P

USA! USA! USA!

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

twatts

Quote from: Igbo on April 02, 2012, 01:50:43 PM
i love Highway 61 and lsiten to it quite often, but i dont think it's Dylan's best, and unfortunately gets beat every day by this.......

i remember seeing this video for the first time. Staying up late on Fridays to watch Friday Night Videos. (a pre-MTV video show)

Once Billie Jean starts with the opening break, EVERYONE knows what it is because it is so CLASSIC and so GOOD! The little string hits are subtle yet so tremendous.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2007/jul/12/popandrock
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

twatts

(I reserve that title for BOTT).

Not even close... 

"And what would you do if you met a jibboo?"

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: goodabouthood on April 02, 2012, 03:09:28 PM
I am not trying to deny that Thriller is an iconic album and worthy of praise and I also agree that Highway 61 is not Dylan's best work (I reserve that title for BOTT).  I just can't give a vote to an album that, while very groundbreaking, held no significance to me and rarely, if ever, gets any playback in my house.

USA! USA! USA!

While this is true GAH, my wife would have picked MJ hands down but she's into that teeny bop dance stuff so  :-P
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

gah

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on April 02, 2012, 04:17:48 PM

USA! USA! USA!

While this is true GAH, my wife would have picked MJ hands down but she's into that teeny bop dance stuff so  :-P

Well....she....I was.....look, there's nothing wrong with liking scantily clad teenagers...wait...pop music is music too....I mean, it's called pop music for a reason, and if it appeals to the lowest denominator and.....goddamn it, he's the KING OF POP man!!!!

:frustrated:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Igbo

USA! USA! USA!

Are you considering MJ and "Thriller" to be teeny bop dance stuff?

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: PIE-GUY on April 02, 2012, 12:07:58 PM
This feels like 2004 when I can't imagine anyone voting for Bush yet there he is winning...

definitely

Quote from: goodabouthood on April 02, 2012, 12:29:49 PM
Come on man, when this drops, you can't tell me you're sitting still.

you're right - I'm running to the controls and changing the tune to some good music.

shocked and stunned.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: Igbo on April 02, 2012, 05:00:24 PM

USA! USA! USA!

I was just teasing GAH.  I was simply making the point that I was not into pop music back then (or now for that matter) and my wife used to dance with her friends to Thriller until they wore the tape out.  I put him in the Madonna category in that they were huge pop icons of the 80s.
Ah forget it, it doesn't matter anyway.  :shakehead:
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Hicks

Madonna wishes she had half the performance skills of MJ in his prime.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Igbo

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on April 02, 2012, 05:12:39 PM
Quote from: Igbo on April 02, 2012, 05:00:24 PM

USA! USA! USA!

I was just teasing GAH.  I was simply making the point that I was not into pop music back then (or now for that matter) and my wife used to dance with her friends to Thriller until they wore the tape out.  I put him in the Madonna category in that they were huge pop icons of the 80s.
Ah forget it, it doesn't matter anyway.  :shakehead:

Ha! I was ready to box over Michael Jackson not being teeny bopper.   :-D

danje

mattstick

Hicks

But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Hicks

Quote from: danje on April 02, 2012, 06:06:55 PM
The popularity of Thriller on this board baffles me.

Does it also baffle you that it has sold over 60 million copies worldwide?

mattstick