News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2011 NCAA Lacrosse Tournament

Started by runawayjimbo, May 17, 2011, 05:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antelope19

UVA looks unstoppable as Dom takes the all-time wins record. He's a class act.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

runawayjimbo

I left to pick up some lunch when it was 4-2 Cornell and I come back to see UVA up 10-4. Tough to win when you let the other team go on a 9 goal run.

Agreed about Starsia. I was at a couple of camps with some of those coaches and Starsia was def the coolest. Pietramala and Tierney always seemed to enjoy being dicks. I am amazed at what Tierney has done in 2 years at Denver though.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

runawayjimbo

Wow. Denver in the Final Four. What's this world coming to? Didn't get to see this one live so I'll be checking it out on DVR later tonight.

shoreline99

Holy upset weekend. I've got some games to watch tonight...
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

runawayjimbo

Just catching up on the semis. Both goalies for Maryland and Duke looking sick.

phil

Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

runawayjimbo

Should be an exciting final as both teams are playing as good as they have all season. But I think Maryland's defense/goaltending will be too much for the high powered UVA offense. I'll take the Terps 11-9. Disclaimer: I am slightly biased since Maryland's goalie went to my HS.

I'm pissed I can't watch this live b/c of my kids but I'll definitely be checking it out on DVR later tonight while catching up on Bethel.

phil

Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

runawayjimbo

Great game. Niko Amato looked like Brian Dougherty in the first qtr but he kind of struggled after that although the defense seemed pretty lost too. I saw them play a couple of times this year and they never had as much trouble with their second slides as they did yesterday. UVA just picked them apart.

And how about the balls on Dom Starsia? They were struggling mid-season and he kicks the greatest 1-2 brother combination since the Gaits off the team and then goes on to win a championship. He is the man.

phil

Quote from: runawayjimbo on May 31, 2011, 09:36:14 AM
Great game. Niko Amato looked like Brian Dougherty in the first qtr but he kind of struggled after that although the defense seemed pretty lost too. I saw them play a couple of times this year and they never had as much trouble with their second slides as they did yesterday. UVA just picked them apart.

And how about the balls on Dom Starsia? They were struggling mid-season and he kicks the greatest 1-2 brother combination since the Gaits off the team and then goes on to win a championship. He is the man.

Dom is the man. His nephews were in my advisory in high school, good people.

Honestly, kicking shamalama-ding-dong and erwin rommel off the team was a no-brainer imo. Same way we got rid of Howie Long. Lacrosse is an awesome sport but I've never encountered anything like the culture of douchebaggery that goes along with it. UVa. is (seemingly) taking steps to get rid of that image in light of the Yeardly Love tragedy. The best part is that the players were the ones that came together and essentially said "no more," Dom didn't really have all that much to do with it other than enforcing the rules that the players laid out for themselves.

runawayjimbo

True, but he could have brought back Rhamel who was only suspended. Do you know the story on the Brattons? I looked around last week but couldn't find any reports of what they actually did (other than the standard "conduct unbecoming of the team").

But I def agree it was a statement to the team that no player is above the rules. Shit, Shamel was the all-time leading middie goal scorer. They won the championship on the backs of the role players: Stanwick only had 1 pt and Bocklett was held scoreless.

phil

Quote from: runawayjimbo on June 01, 2011, 06:14:37 PM
True, but he could have brought back Rhamel who was only suspended. Do you know the story on the Brattons? I looked around last week but couldn't find any reports of what they actually did (other than the standard "conduct unbecoming of the team").

But I def agree it was a statement to the team that no player is above the rules. Shit, Shamel was the all-time leading middie goal scorer. They won the championship on the backs of the role players: Stanwick only had 1 pt and Bocklett was held scoreless.

Admittedly, we gave up one of the best midfields in all of college lacrosse. Consequentially, we became an attack based team, and, well, the rest is history. I equate it to a basketball team that goes from shooting a ton of threes to driving the ball and scoring in the paint. Sure, a team that likes to shoot a lot can get hot and go on runs, but you can't beat a team that drives to the hoop and dominates inside consistently.

idk much about the brattons, my folks are friends with the Starsias so I'll see if they know anything and get back to you

runawayjimbo

No worries. I was just curious was it like he got caught drinking 3 times which was a team violation or did he try to force himself on a nice young lady. Or is he just an asshole. They are from Long Island and, well, you know.

Did you go to UVA?

phil

Quote from: runawayjimbo on June 01, 2011, 09:34:11 PM
No worries. I was just curious was it like he got caught drinking 3 times which was a team violation or did he try to force himself on a nice young lady. Or is he just an asshole. They are from Long Island and, well, you know.

Did you go to UVA?

No but I'm from charlottesville and both of my 'rents went to UVa. Until last summer I used to live about 3/4 of a mile from Klockner stadium.

The asshole factor plays a big role, the team apparently laid some pretty ser ground rules for themselves after George Hugely, it's part of why Colin Briggs was suspended for the semifinal game. They're holding themselves accountable (Bray Malphrus is a big part of that) and aren't tolerating the ass-turkey behavior that has become all-too-common in lacrosse.

I picked up the sport in 6th grade and gave it up in 7th but I still like to watch, especially with a team like uva right in my backyard.

antelope19

I avoided this thread because I hadn't watched the games.  Well, I watched them last night.  I was sorry to see MD lose, but UVA was clearly the better team.  Gittleman(the goalie) is the man. 

Congrats to the Cavs. 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment