News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R1/W16: 04-09-1993 State Theatre, Minneapolis, MN

Started by thelot, August 28, 2006, 12:59:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: lifeandhowtoliveit on August 30, 2006, 04:46:30 PM
I didn't hear any Psycho Killer, did you mean Take Me To The River?
Yea, those Talking Heads songs are all alike :wink:
My Bad, I did mean TMTtR
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

katzie

Set 1: song by song review:

Chalkdust - Nice way to start the show off. Not feeling the intensity so much due to the very clean sounding soundboard..solo not as majestic as previously heard. Fun.

Sparkle - Adore this song..especially love the outro. Very clean and tight. Standard.

Guelah - One of my favourite shorter Phish tunes, the Asses Festival segment sounds particularly good on the SBD..the dissonance doesn't sound as unpleasant as it can do. Quite weak vocally..flubbed considerably in this department.

Stash - Tight flubless perfection from Trey in the intro. Vocals fairly weak again. Nice fills from Page - he's really keying in with Trey on this version. Trey has an almost moog synth tone and combines with Page well during the chilled out jam. I'd describe this version as swirling and hypnotic, with just the right amount of dissonance. Not the biggest release of tension here..but still very tidy stuff. Good version.

Horse/Silent - Pretty opening from Trey. Nice break after the very active Stash. Seamless -> into Silent. Sweet echo sound on Page's voice. Silent doesn't sound as epic and lush on this recording..but is still pleasant.

Maze - Intense evil opening. Spectacular early soloing from Mr. Anastasio. Page wastes no time getting into his solo on the Hammond, fiercly attacking the keys as the Fish builds the jam. Trey and Mike with some nice rhythm playing lock together nicely as the B3 solo reaches its peak. Really tasteful licks from Trey in his solo..bluesy intense..this is just what I love hearing from him..one of my favourite guitar players. Peaks excellently..much better than the Stash did. Great version..one of the best I've heard.

I Didn't Know - Love this tune, especially Mike's bass vocals. An interesting..washboard solo from Fish introduced as Henrietta Tubbman. I love how he's accompanyed like a real soloist with all the stops around 2.07 ..it's hilarity. Phish as a band had a really cohesive goofy sense of humour..

It's Ice - Starts fairly chilled, no flubs to be found. The verses aren't as bassy as I'd like though. Great composed stuff from Trey..and accompiment from Mike. Perfectly pulled off..jazzy, slightly dissonant..a stand out from the set..

Divided Sky - Begins majestically..soundboard doing it a lot of justice. Trey pulls off the melodic opening licks with great precision and soul. Quiet segment begins around 3.54. The energy and tempo of the song isn't really doing the quiet part much justice..but it makes the rest of the song just seem all the more mesmerising! Notes sustained flawlessly in the ending segments. This song is like ear candy! Trey's playing runs out of steam slightly as the end of the song approaches. Brilliance.

Cavern - Typically intense early version. This song can just be so good when performed properly. Harmonising from Page not so strong. Good set closer.

A very enjoyable first set..highlights being the Maze and Ice. It's pretty standard for 93..but as we know standard for Phish is pure brilliance.

set 2 to come
dk

August

i am gonna skip the song-by-song review on this one, mainly because the show is solid throughout.there really are no big jams in here, only flawless playing.
if you werent already into phish at this time, this would be the second set you would listen to in your walkman over and over and over again.
then one day, you would hear another YEM and realize that "Mr.Cookiehead" was only in this version, or that Love You didnt always have Fish proclaiming that he is 'Iron Man".
then one day, you might hear a summer 1991 show, and say "ahhhh", realizing that they were doing the horn part vocally during this Suzy.
this is classic spring 93.heavy on Rift (8 songs total) and heavy on energy.
this show is what listening to tapes back in the day used to do to me.
i didnt know the difference between an A+ SBD or a hissy low gen cassette.
sure, i t sounded different, but if a hissy tape was one that i loved, it would get repeated until i knew EVERY SINGLE NOTE of that set.
GREAT PICK, JOE!
it gets a massive A
A

bacchist

i liked the way you put that into perspective aug... reminds me of quite a few moments i had when i was first discovering phish.  when i'd listen to shows dozens of times before getting my hands on another, and just starting to appreciate what they were doing...
Rebuilding...

susep

^agreed, I listened to 26May94 set II and 24March92 set I for an extended period as well as 31Dec.91 set III before my next aquisition of tapes.
At that time I wasn't analyzing jam styles as much or lucky to have digital access to an entire tour> I used to run across campus to hear a live Landlady on my tape deck. 

sls.stormyrider

I think you hit the nail on the head, aug.
Missed the vocal "horn part" in suzy-had to go back and listen
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

thelot

Well said august! :beers:

Did anyone catch the Auld Lang Syne tease from Trey during the BBJ? Or the NY,NY tease from Page during Love You?

katzie

^Hah I got the NYNY tease..they'd go on to play it about 3 1/2 years later..