News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Vinyl

Started by tet, May 03, 2008, 10:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

Quote from: Igbo on February 25, 2012, 03:08:43 AM
Quote from: Hicks on February 24, 2012, 06:31:54 PM
Quote from: Igbo on February 24, 2012, 06:13:22 PM
It's all about quality over quantity

I thinned down my collection to now I listen to every record in my collection. 1000+ records and I listen to every single one

I prefer to have both quality and quantity, the two are not mutually exclusive.

Oh I agree, the more the better. Just listen to all of them. I've seen people with 10k record collections and they don't listen to a 1% of those records.

Sure but at some point the sheer numbers don't work anymore.

Even with "only" 1000 records, if you averaged 5 records a day (which is a lot) you wouldn't be able to listen to the same record more than twice a year to be able to listen to all of them within a year. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Igbo

Quote from: Hicks on February 25, 2012, 12:05:55 PM
Quote from: Igbo on February 25, 2012, 03:08:43 AM
Quote from: Hicks on February 24, 2012, 06:31:54 PM
Quote from: Igbo on February 24, 2012, 06:13:22 PM
It's all about quality over quantity

I thinned down my collection to now I listen to every record in my collection. 1000+ records and I listen to every single one

I prefer to have both quality and quantity, the two are not mutually exclusive.

Oh I agree, the more the better. Just listen to all of them. I've seen people with 10k record collections and they don't listen to a 1% of those records.

Sure but at some point the sheer numbers don't work anymore.

Even with "only" 1000 records, if you averaged 5 records a day (which is a lot) you wouldn't be able to listen to the same record more than twice a year to be able to listen to all of them within a year.

Numbers shmumbers.

I guess my point is that I have records that I actually listen to.  Again, some people have massive collections to be collectors only. Collectors, completists, hoarders of vinyl. I don't see the point in that. My records are my media for music. They are to be played. Loud and as often as possible.

Igbo

And I am in no way saying that's what you're doing.

I'm mad jealous and envious of the size of your collection.

Caravan2001

Hicks, I really hope your basement doesn't flood.....I can hold those shits over here if you want.... :roll:

mopper_smurf

Quote from: Augustus on February 24, 2012, 06:42:40 PM
Anyone else keep a list at discogs or anywhere else?

My vinyl list is analog and stashed inside my head.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

Augustus

Grabbed these after work today.

Genesis - Selling England by the Pound
Buddy Rich - The Monster
Ella Fitzgerald - Get Happy! (Sealed)
Ramones - Rocket to Russia
Duran Duran - Rio (Sealed)

rowjimmy

Hungry Like The Wolf!!!!!

mattstick

I picked up the Siamese Dream / Smashing Pumpkins 20th re-issue.

Sounds so good, packaging is awesome.  Only $23, I was happy.

rowjimmy

Quote from: mattstick on February 28, 2012, 08:26:42 PM

That and the Gish reissue are great.

nab

Quote from: rowjimmy on February 28, 2012, 10:05:29 PM
Quote from: mattstick on February 28, 2012, 08:26:42 PM

That and the Gish reissue are great.

Haven't gotten the Gish yet, but the Siamese Dream has been in regular rotation for the last couple of weeks.

Good stuff.

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

rowjimmy

I didn't need to see that.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: rowjimmy on February 29, 2012, 10:07:23 AM
I didn't need to see that.

"need" is really interesting word that can be interpreted many ways. just sayin'.

Caravan2001

Quote from: PIE-GUY on February 18, 2012, 10:20:44 AM
Bob Dylan mono box set came in yesterday. Starting from the beginning. 4 songs into the eponymous first album and I gotta say it sounds wonderful.

So this arrived at my house last week too.  I have to say I am VERY impressed with all aspects of it:  packaging, quality, sound quality, attention to detail.  I love how they provide the original paper inner sleeve that was issued for each record but put the actual vinyl in a plastic one.  The records sound amazing, I am only through the second one.  The book is dope with some great pics I have never seen before.  Awesome quality.  I know RJ was looking at this, after receiving this, I would say it's essential.  Not cheap though.  I got a mine from Newbury Comics, $200 with shipping brand new.  You could prolly find a used one for $150 if you're patient. Or maybe a new one.  I shopped it and $200 was about the going rate. Worth every penny.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: Caravan2001 on February 29, 2012, 10:54:49 AM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on February 18, 2012, 10:20:44 AM
Bob Dylan mono box set came in yesterday. Starting from the beginning. 4 songs into the eponymous first album and I gotta say it sounds wonderful.

So this arrived at my house last week too.  I have to say I am VERY impressed with all aspects of it:  packaging, quality, sound quality, attention to detail.  I love how they provide the original paper inner sleeve that was issued for each record but put the actual vinyl in a plastic one.  The records sound amazing, I am only through the second one.  The book is dope with some great pics I have never seen before.  Awesome quality.  I know RJ was looking at this, after receiving this, I would say it's essential.  Not cheap though.  I got a mine from Newbury Comics, $200 with shipping brand new.  You could prolly find a used one for $150 if you're patient. Or maybe a new one.  I shopped it and $200 was about the going rate. Worth every penny.

Currently $168.03 at Amazon. $1.97 cheaper than when I ordered it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZYJS5Q/ref=ox_ya_os_product