News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

RIP Kofi Burbridge

Started by PIE-GUY, February 16, 2019, 02:13:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

More sad news for the extended Zambi camp.

https://www.jambase.com/article/kofi-burbridge-died

First time I saw Kofi Burbridge play was in 1994 at a show billed as "Col. Bruce's last show with ARU" at the Georgia theater in Athens. The Colonel was supposedly retiring from the road and ARU continued without him, adding a new singer. Anyway, Otiel introduced his big brother to the crowd that night and was absolutely bursting with joy every time Kofi took a solo. I remember being really impressed with him until he picked up the flute... then I was blown away. The last time I saw him play was with the Daze Between band at Jazzfest just 24 hours after the good Colonel stepped through the door. I was just as blown away as always. There's a helluva reunion gig happening on the other side of that door tonight. Rest In Peace, Kofi.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mopper_smurf

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

susep

Lucky to have caught a few DTB and TTB shows.  Kofi is one of my favorites.  Great player, underrated.  Derek Trucks called him the most brilliant musician he ever played with. 
RIP Kofi. 

One the great DTB shows w/ stellar contributions from Kofi throughout:

https://archive.org/details/dtb2004-11-26.mg200.shnf/

anthrax

gah

Quote from: susep on February 16, 2019, 07:57:53 AM
Lucky to have caught a few DTB and TTB shows. 

Sames, saw him with both those bands and always enjoyed his contributions greatly. Def a sad day when the scene loses one of it's more talented musicians.  :cry:

RIP Kofi.

(Ironically, I'll be seeing Branford Marsalis Quartet tonight....)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

PIE-GUY

Lucky to have caught a few DTB and TTB shows.  Kofi is one of my favorites.  Great player, underrated.  Derek Trucks called him the most brilliant musician he ever played with. 
RIP Kofi. 

Yeah, DT and Kofi were hooked up musically like few other duos I've ever seen.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

susep

Quote from: PIE-GUY on February 16, 2019, 01:28:04 PM
RIP Kofi. 

Yeah, DT and Kofi were hooked up musically like few other duos I've ever seen.

Kofi was a modern day Eric Dolphy among others.  I love the DTB sound augmented by Kofi's flute playing.  Those dual lines w/ Derek are a breath of fresh melodic air.   

rowjimmy

Kofi Burbridge was a singular talent.
Sad to lose a man such as this before his time.

rowjimmy

jam>

That was beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: jam> on February 19, 2019, 05:12:55 PM
That was beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
agreed, thanks

up next for me is DTB live at GA theater - some great conversations with Koffi and Derek
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

pcr3

Wow. That was tough to read. I saw Kofi a bunch starting around 2000, and I remember his energy above all else. It's funny, I always thought he was the younger brother...

RIP
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.