News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

GDead Thread

Started by VA $l!m, August 26, 2005, 06:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caravan2001

Quote from: VA $l!m on September 03, 2018, 05:08:47 PM
today, 3-28-73 Baltimore
another MOnster show... really seems like by the Philly show and this one they had the WOS dialed in for the first time and the band just fed off it.
Really its insane the creative ground they covered since ROscoe maples in less than 2 months.
I think FEb/March 73 might be the biggest leap in sound they ever took in such a short time frame.
NOt a conincendence it coincides with the birth of the Wall of SOund and also Pigpen's death right in the middle.

Yeah, it's crazy where they are at the end of '72 (which rules) and then you listen to Lincoln or SLC (or 2/15 for that matter) from Feb 73.  Monster leap.

VA $l!m

Quote from: Caravan2001 on September 03, 2018, 10:14:09 PM
Quote from: VA $l!m on September 03, 2018, 05:08:47 PM
today, 3-28-73 Baltimore
another MOnster show... really seems like by the Philly show and this one they had the WOS dialed in for the first time and the band just fed off it.
Really its insane the creative ground they covered since ROscoe maples in less than 2 months.
I think FEb/March 73 might be the biggest leap in sound they ever took in such a short time frame.
NOt a conincendence it coincides with the birth of the Wall of SOund and also Pigpen's death right in the middle.

Yeah, it's crazy where they are at the end of '72 (which rules) and then you listen to Lincoln or SLC (or 2/15 for that matter) from Feb 73.  Monster leap.
zactly. and these first few months of 73 have that feelin glike phish in their prime where each night is better than the last.
IT was when i was listening to Lincoln that i had to take a step back. I was thinking i had to put it down as one of my top shows from the year, but then boom, next night in SLC again takes off, and then the east coast tour is just on another level again.
And yeah 2-15  really just sets the bar for the rest of the spring.

ITs crazy interesting. how hot 72 is... i mean pure fire from europe > new years, but 73 they really open up their style with all the new song structures, jam vehicles, and a much stronger jazz influence that continually builds all the way through to BLues for Allah in 75.
Shit, EYES on its own is like a whole new interdimensional portal Jerry discovers.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

rowjimmy

Truly soaring to a new creative peak at that time. You can't go wrong on that tour unless they're sidetracked by technical difficulties.

Which reminds me. I was listening to a late 70s show this morning and got to thinking that the one thing that's missing from the Wall Of Sound era is irate bitching about the monitor levels.

(cos there weren't any monitors)

sls.stormyrider

agreed
that's why the "favorite year / favorite tour" discussions are impossible.
I mean, 72 is unbelieveable
But there is a different kind of energy / creativity in 73,74 like you said.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

VA $l!m

yeah, it keeps rollin... finished 3-31-73 today.
i mean, He's gone>truckin>Otherone>spanish jam>RIDER...seriously.
and now im in the middle of 4-2,,, HC Sunshine>space> bobby Mcgee>WRSpre>eyes >China..... sheesh.

this tour feels alot like Phish97 when they dropped premade lists.  Theres just so much open ended exploration.
MOre than once ive checked deadbase when i  heard a segue that seemed uncommon and it was like the only time they ever did those songs back to back.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

Hicks

Just diving into the new release and on the Vancouver Bird Song, holeeee amazeballs, so good!  So understated and LOVE to hear Keith on the rhodes.   

Sound is impeccable so far, everything so clear and separated. 

Really looking forward to checking out the rest of the box. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mistercharlie

I just saw that the newest release in the 7" single series is Sugar Magnolia/Mr. Charlie. I had to snag one of those for obvious reasons.  :music:
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

nab

Quote from: mistercharlie on September 08, 2018, 02:39:20 PM
I just saw that the newest release in the 7" single series is Sugar Magnolia/Mr. Charlie. I had to snag one of those for obvious reasons.  :music:

'Cause Mr. Charlie told ya so?

mistercharlie

Quote from: nab on September 08, 2018, 09:55:32 PM

'Cause Mr. Charlie told ya so?

Damn straight!
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

rowjimmy

Mine arrived last week but life has been so crazy that I haven't spun it yet.

mattstick

I dig the 7" series, next years releases should be killer.

Gumbo72203

Quote from: VA $l!m on September 07, 2018, 08:09:29 PM
and now im in the middle of 4-2,,, HC Sunshine>space> bobby Mcgee>WRSpre>eyes >China..... sheesh.

this tour feels alot like Phish97 when they dropped premade lists.  Theres just so much open ended exploration.
MOre than once ive checked deadbase when i  heard a segue that seemed uncommon and it was like the only time they ever did those songs back to back.

Yo what?  I knew about 4/2/73 with that wild HCS but I don't think I've listened to that 3/31/73 show before....   there was one other time I think Rider appeared in a goofy spot and I want to say it was Fall '72 but I'm not sure, and I want to say it came out of Dark Star or something big like that.  Fuck, that's going to bother me now...
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

rowjimmy

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on September 11, 2018, 11:25:27 PM

Yo what?  I knew about 4/2/73 with that wild HCS but I don't think I've listened to that 3/31/73 show before....   there was one other time I think Rider appeared in a goofy spot and I want to say it was Fall '72 but I'm not sure, and I want to say it came out of Dark Star or something big like that.  Fuck, that's going to bother me now...

You need a Deadbase, friend.
Questions like this are quickly answered.

Gumbo72203

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 12, 2018, 07:57:15 AM

The website was taken down years ago AFAIK and yeah, I need a physical copy haha.  I didn't think they made them anymore though.

EDIT:  I was like 2/3 right!  https://archive.org/details/gd72-09-24.sbd.jeffm.2202.sbeok.shnf

Dark Star -> China Cat Sunflower -> I Know You Rider. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

rowjimmy

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on September 12, 2018, 09:28:33 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on September 12, 2018, 07:57:15 AM

The website was taken down years ago AFAIK and yeah, I need a physical copy haha.  I didn't think they made them anymore though.

Books are your friend.