News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Game of Thrones

Started by cactusfan, December 07, 2010, 03:50:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

Finally caught up, wowsers, The Bells certainly made up for the soap opera BS of the previous episode.

Agreed that the show has been leading up to this whole time, anybody shocked/surprised by it wasn't really paying attention, "Fire and Blood" has always been Danys destiny.  And it sort of served as both pandering and at the same time an indictment of what we the audience wanted see. I definitely got a "are you not entertained" vibe from it by the end. By giving us what we've been waiting for in such graphic detail, it makes you question why a story like this appeals to us in the first place.   

So where's the hand wringing over Arya being a "psycho" now?    :police:
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mbw

Psychopaths still posses self preservation instincts.

GBL

Last episode might have been the worst GoT episode ever for me.

I understand that people have seen this coming since the beginning, or at least are now saying they did, but it just seems so rushed.  Like, she has taken such a drastic turn.

What does she gain by going through the streets and burning the city to the ground, basically?  Why not get to the red keep sooner?
If this is love, I'm never going home..

mbw

Hicks

Quote from: GBL on May 15, 2019, 06:19:40 PM

I understand that people have seen this coming since the beginning, or at least are now saying they did, but it just seems so rushed.  Like, she has taken such a drastic turn.

What does she gain by going through the streets and burning the city to the ground, basically?  Why not get to the red keep sooner?

She heard those bells ringing and thought "No. You don't get to surrender just because you know you're beaten. I gave you the chance for surrender outside the gates and you killed my friend. Fuck you, you woke the dragon and now you have to pay."

It wasn't strategy, it wasn't even planned. She burnt the city because she is a dragon and that's what they do. 
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

GBL

Quote from: Hicks on May 15, 2019, 08:01:39 PM

She heard those bells ringing and thought "No. You don't get to surrender just because you know you're beaten. I gave you the chance for surrender outside the gates and you killed my friend. Fuck you, you woke the dragon and now you have to pay."

It wasn't strategy, it wasn't even planned. She burnt the city because she is a dragon and that's what they do.

Yes, I agree with that.  She basically lost it in th moment, kind of.

But also, Cersei's death couldn't have been more anti climatic, in my opinion.  I've been waiting YEARS to see that bitch get tortured.  Very disappointing
If this is love, I'm never going home..

Hicks

Quote from: GBL on May 15, 2019, 09:55:01 PM
Quote from: Hicks on May 15, 2019, 08:01:39 PM

Yes, I agree with that.  She basically lost it in th moment, kind of.

But also, Cersei's death couldn't have been more anti climatic, in my opinion.  I've been waiting YEARS to see that bitch get tortured.  Very disappointing

Is she dead? We don't know that.

ETA: Ok I guess based on Lena Headey's recent interview she is in fact dead.

If that's the case, yeah, kinda deflating. 

mbw

I just re-watched.  With all of the great cinematography and what not, there was some bad editing.  At one point Cersi's hand is like, "we need to go now, it's not safe," as she stood in the window. She was all, "but the Red Keep is the safest place in the city." He was all "the unsullied have breached the gate"

Dany was already burning down the towers in the Red Keep before this was said.  Fuck the unsullied there is a fire breathing dragon 10 feet away from your fucking window burning down the building you are in.  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Not to pick nits, but that was pretty bad.

mistercharlie

Quote from: mbw on May 15, 2019, 10:47:15 PM
I just re-watched.  With all of the great cinematography and what not, there was some bad editing.  At one point Cersi's hand is like, "we need to go now, it's not safe," as she stood in the window. She was all, "but the Red Keep is the safest place in the city." He was all "the unsullied have breached the gate"

Dany was already burning down the towers in the Red Keep before this was said.  Fuck the unsullied there is a fire breathing dragon 10 feet away from your fucking window burning down the building you are in.  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Not to pick nits, but that was pretty bad.

Yeah, that whole bit and the anit-climactic end to Cersi and Jamie were big downers for me. I really wanted a more 'Game of Thrones' end for Cersi. 8 seasons of brutality and she gets to quietly disappear as a building collapses?!? Jamie, Tyrion or Arya were supposed to kill her. (Technically, Jamie and Tryion did kill her... Tyrion had Jamie lead her to those tunnels and Jamie did as he was told. Being in those tunnels killed her, so it kinda works.)
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

ytowndan

It might have been more satisfying to see her murdered by any number of characters, but I still found it fitting for her to be reduced to a pathetic child crying, "I don't want to die, I don't want to die," as the symbol of all her supposed power crumbles and crushes her.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

khalpin

In an earlier episode when asked how he wanted die, Jaime said he wanted to die in the arms of the woman he loves.  So he got what he wanted.

mbw

ytowndan

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

Hicks

This is a pretty cool fan alternate ending:

shoreline99

Quote from: Hicks on May 15, 2019, 11:28:19 AM
Finally caught up, wowsers, The Bells certainly made up for the soap opera BS of the previous episode.

Agreed that the show has been leading up to this whole time, anybody shocked/surprised by it wasn't really paying attention, "Fire and Blood" has always been Danys destiny.  And it sort of served as both pandering and at the same time an indictment of what we the audience wanted see. I definitely got a "are you not entertained" vibe from it by the end. By giving us what we've been waiting for in such graphic detail, it makes you question why a story like this appeals to us in the first place.   

So where's the hand wringing over Arya being a "psycho" now?    :police:

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.