News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2018-08-11 - Merriweather Post Pavilion - Post Show Discussion

Started by ytowndan, August 11, 2018, 10:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ytowndan

PHISH, SATURDAY 08/11/2018
MERRIWEATHER POST PAVILION
Columbia, MD

SET 1: Blaze On > Party Time, Breath and Burning, Sugar Shack, Home, Joy, Stash, 46 Days

SET 2: Sand > Mercury > Ghost > Fuego > Slave to the Traffic Light

ENCORE: Twenty Years Later > Martian Monster > Rocky Top > Golgi Apparatus
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

mattstick

mbw

Ha, my app crashed for the millionth time during 20 yrs so I said fuck it and didnt bother restarting.

Mercury jam into ghost is about all there is to say about this one.

birdman

Paug FTMFW!

GBL

Just to play devil's advocate, but, there is a reason they played a four song encore, and that is because the second wasn't 'long'...  Hence, imo, the 5 song second set carrying less weight
If this is love, I'm never going home..

VA $l!m

doesnt MPP have some weird cufue? I swear shows are always on a time crunch there. Maybe why they stopped short after 2 but then realized they had enough time to stretch out the encore.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

VDB

Encore certainly was a joke about the short second.

Instant reaction is show was a scorcher from my perch.
Is this still Wombat?

antelope19

Quote from: VA $l!m on August 12, 2018, 12:01:21 AM
doesnt MPP have some weird cufue? I swear shows are always on a time crunch there. Maybe why they stopped short after 2 but then realized they had enough time to stretch out the encore.

Yes, very strict curfew at MPP.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

mattstick

The note on stage clearly said "Strict Curfew 11:00PM", not sure why they stopped at 10:25.

rowjimmy

I’d say the set felt done. Walk off after Slave and the set works as a piece. Play those encore songs  as part of the set set and we’d be complaining more about that than timing.

So they walk off, see how much time remains, and play a few more songs. Simple as that.

mistercharlie

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 12, 2018, 08:32:27 AM
I'd say the set felt done. Walk off after Slave and the set works as a piece. Play those encore songs  as part of the set set and we'd be complaining more about that than timing.

So they walk off, see how much time remains, and play a few more songs. Simple as that.

The Truth, this man speaks it.

I'm just now starting the show. But I'm excited to hear set II.  :music:
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

WhatstheUse?

That string of six 3.0 tunes to start the show has got to be some sort of record.
Bring in the dude!

mistercharlie

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on August 12, 2018, 10:19:52 AM
That string of six 3.0 tunes to start the show has got to be some sort of record.

If it was I would never put the vinyl on my turntable.  :wtu:
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

ph92

Shit was a little rough. They at least played them well
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

Gumbo72203

It's funny you guys bring this up, because I never think about the setlists that way really.  At this point, Blaze On is just a Phish song to me.  I would have been super excited about Home!

That tune has such fire on record, but it never gets captured on stage.  My theory is that this is partly due to Page ditching the organ on the jam.  I am craving that organ every time, and he only stays on the piano.  God, this studio version slays. 

"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again