News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2012 Election Thread

Started by runawayjimbo, January 03, 2012, 08:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gah

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on February 17, 2012, 12:58:48 PM
Santorum is now leading in Michigan, Ohio and nationwide.

This is a guy who thinks your state should be allowed to outlaw condoms and birth control. Because a sudden explosion of rugrats and pregnancies is exactly what this economy needs right now.

This is either Republican voters making Romney squirm for a while just to makes sure he knows they don't actually like him, or they're seriously thinking about flushing the entire election right down the shitter.

Basically, Romney's been trying to appeal to the independent (read: sane) voters, which doesn't really satisfy the republican (read: bat shit crazy) voters, which leaves room for someone like Santorum to fill in the far right wing void.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Hicks

I dunno something about Santorum makes him frighteningly viable in my opinion.

Sure he is nuts, but he appears to be genuine, which of course goes a long way in politics.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: goodabouthood on February 17, 2012, 01:47:29 PM
Quote from: V00D00BR3W on February 17, 2012, 12:58:48 PM
Santorum is now leading in Michigan, Ohio and nationwide.

This is a guy who thinks your state should be allowed to outlaw condoms and birth control. Because a sudden explosion of rugrats and pregnancies is exactly what this economy needs right now.

This is either Republican voters making Romney squirm for a while just to makes sure he knows they don't actually like him, or they're seriously thinking about flushing the entire election right down the shitter.

Basically, Romney's been trying to appeal to the independent (read: sane) voters, which doesn't really satisfy the republican (read: bat shit crazy) voters, which leaves room for someone like Santorum to fill in the far right wing void.

I'm not so sure it's that Romney has been trying to appeal to moderate voters; if anything, he has been bending over backwards to show conservatives that he's further right than his record reflects (see his "I am severely conservative" line). I just think he is inherently unlikable.  He says stupid shit like "Corporations are people" and "I like being able to fire people" and "I'm not concerned about the very poor". Now, those quotes may or may not have been taken out of context, but the point is a more natural politician would never make those kind of unforced errors. And to Hicks' point, even though the shit coming out of Santorum's mouth (lulz) is insane and would completely undermine nearly everything conservatives say they stand for, he really does believes it so it doesn't come across as forced and thus (to some people), it's more acceptable/believable.

I do think it would be a disaster for the GOP if he wins, but in the long run, it may convince the GOP they have to move away from the social issues if they want to be relevant in the 21st century. You can't claim you want the gov't out of your lives while also proposing to control what people do in the privacy of their own homes (Santorum also said recently "Freedom's not absolute. What rights in the Constitution are absolute? There is no right to absolute freedom. There are limitations."). A third grader can see the hypocrisy of their positions.

Nate Silver has a model that is currently showing Santorum with a 76% chance of winning Michigan and a 93% chance of winning Ohio. Losing Michigan would be bad for Romney and would allow Santorum to continue his momentum in wins and thus fundraising (which is right now Romney's only advantage), but the bigger fear for Romney has got to be that they get to Super Tuesday and he only ends up winning 2-3 of the 10 primaries (MA, VA and probably VT). I believe all the delegates are awarded proportionately, but that's gotta sting to get your ass handed to you by a guy who lost his last re-election bid by 18 pts. I'm still not convinced Santorum has the organization to go the distance with Romney, but it's certainly seeming more likely by the day. If he can get Newt to drop out, he's going to be a real problem.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

gah

What do you mean Romney seems forced? He loves trees, and lakes. But I hate lamp.  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

ytowndan

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on February 17, 2012, 01:16:33 PM
Goooooooooooooooooooooooo Rick!

This.  I'll be voting "Frothy" on Super Tuesday.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

ytowndan

Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

Poster Nutbag

Quote from: ytowndan on February 17, 2012, 11:12:44 PM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on February 17, 2012, 08:19:09 PM
Quote from: ytowndan on February 17, 2012, 06:59:46 PM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on February 17, 2012, 01:16:33 PM
Goooooooooooooooooooooooo Rick!

This.  I'll be voting "Frothy" on Super Tuesday.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-february-16-2012/indecision-2012---mitt-romney-s---rick-santorum-s-michigan-campaign-ads

unreal.

Holy shit!   :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

It would have been "Holy Shit!  :laugh:" .. if it actually hit Santorum, but since it back fired and hit Romney it's definitely just Ass Holy Shit!!  :laugh:
Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: runawayjimbo on February 17, 2012, 02:23:08 PM

I do think it would be a disaster for the GOP if he wins, but in the long run, it may convince the GOP they have to move away from the social issues if they want to be relevant in the 21st century. You can't claim you want the gov't out of your lives while also proposing to control what people do in the privacy of their own homes (Santorum also said recently "Freedom's not absolute. What rights in the Constitution are absolute? There is no right to absolute freedom. There are limitations."). A third grader can see the hypocrisy of their positions.

yep - the hypocrasy just kills me. I have no problem with fiscal conservatives. I may not agree with everything they say, (I agree with some of it), and I see where they are coming from. My problem is with saying the govt is impinging on freedoms, then telling me who I can marry, have sex with, etc.
Never mind that unwanted pregnancy is a HUGE economic and public health burden, and it goes without saying, the cause of 99.9% of all abortions (why can't these self rightous people get that)  :samurai:

As far as Romney goes - I must say that if you look at his record campaigining for Senator and Gov in MA, then his record as Gov in MA, he is clearly right - moderate, not a "conservative's conservative". Not close.

If you look at his actions and statements since 2007, he's a different person.

Now, I know that all politicians 'stretch the truth" to get elected, and I also realize that once they get elected realities change and some things they wanted to do as candidates they realize they either can't do or shouldn't do. This guy has taken it to a whole new level, surpassing GW Bush by a large margin.

At least with Santorum, I think I now what we will be getting. With Romney, it's anyone's guess.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Guyute

Romney is interesting to me.

It is funny to look at his time in Massachusetts. 
Universal Healthcare
Improved Education Spending
Reduced Taxes
Balanced the budget
Passed Gay Marriage

All this for a Republican Governor with a Democratic House and Senate.

He basically ran the Democratic agenda through plus balanced the budget and he is HATED in the state.  how does that happen?
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: Guyute on February 19, 2012, 11:00:32 PM
Romney is interesting to me.

It is funny to look at his time in Massachusetts. 
Universal Healthcare
Improved Education Spending
Reduced Taxes
Balanced the budget
Passed Gay Marriage

All this for a Republican Governor with a Democratic House and Senate.

He basically ran the Democratic agenda through plus balanced the budget and he is HATED in the state.  how does that happen?
In this Masshole's opinioin, if he ran on his record, I just might vote for him.
But he's not - he veered right is 2008 and is trying to pander to Rush and his minions. He is, in my opinion, now one of the biggest known liars in the polical arena at this point.
I think he's a smart guy and can get stuff done, but I have no idea what he will try to do.

and - for the record, gay marriage was a judicial decision. the legislature tried to overturn the decision with constitiutional amendment but couldn't. I don't think there is an actual law saying it's legal; the law banning gay marriage was deemed unconstitutional by the SJC.

Also, iirc the tax cut was by voter referendum, not Romney
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Guyute

I come from a long line of Mass Dems.  This recent veer right concerns me.  I was actually excited about the possibility of a CEO getting elected.  I believe what we need right now is someone with a strong business mind to drive change and run it more like a company and not career politicians.   How do you vote for someone that has changed so much so quickly?

of course I do't like Obama either.   So much promise and so much disappointment.
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

Superfreakie

Quote from: slslbs on February 19, 2012, 11:46:50 AM
At least with Santorum, I think I now what we will be getting......

a dump truck load of batshit crazy.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: Superfreakie on February 21, 2012, 01:11:38 PM

:laugh:  :beers:
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

gah

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on February 21, 2012, 01:39:50 PM
Quote from: Superfreakie on February 21, 2012, 01:11:38 PM

:laugh:  :beers:

I too enjoyed that post.  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard