News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Mike Gordon's Simple demo

Started by mistercharlie, February 09, 2010, 09:09:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistercharlie

Here's Mikes demo for Simple. The lyrics are all there and done but the music has made leeps and bounds since he recorded this.

[smg id=521 type=av]

Download Here
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

fauxpaxfauxreal

I like this a lot.  The music to the song really isn't that much different, imo.  I do like this a lot tho.  I remember when it was on Shapiro's myspace.

Caravan2001

PhishPhan

Hot stuff. Is this with his band?

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: PhishPhan on February 09, 2010, 12:13:59 PM

Nope, him on a four track circa 1993/1994.

nab

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on February 09, 2010, 01:40:38 PM
Quote from: PhishPhan on February 09, 2010, 12:13:59 PM

Nope, him on a four track circa 1993/1994.

Well, I guess it was his band then as well. :-D

guyforget

all i can say is...

"thank god for trey anastasio"

i love cactus, but i guess i love him more w/ trey's influence on him. 

-AD_

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: guyforget on February 09, 2010, 01:48:14 PM
all i can say is...

"thank god for trey anastasio"

i love cactus, but i guess i love him more w/ trey's influence on him.

I like this raw track more than anything that was on Hoist.  It sounds very "Ween-esque" imo.

guyforget

what it sounds like to me is mike trying to be too honky-tonk-artsy

he's like the prog hillbilly

and i know he thinks thats cool, and thats cool w/ me because i do love me some mike (but not like phishphan loves some mike, heyo!  :wink: :wink: :-) )

i just prefer to rock, and all the rock in that track (awful guitar) is faux-rawk. 
-AD_

fauxpaxfauxreal

It just kinda sounded to me like he wanted to get the song down to try and convince trey to get it on hoist and the basic idea was born out of hillbilly/bluegrass style music and he just added the drum machine/guitar parts to be cutesy funny as embelishments.  I didn't think that hard about it, but I like the style of it.

Then again, I think Strange Design is the closest Phish has gotten towards perfection in the studio, and according to most, I have a tin ear.

guyforget

i found 1 instance of a studio "strange design" in my library on something labelled "free single" and i can say w/ utmost certainty that right now is the first time ive ever listened to it.  and chances are 99.99% positive that itll be the last.  not saying that its bad, just that its not what i reach for when i go to my library. 
-AD_

mbw

Quote from: guyforget on February 09, 2010, 02:35:56 PM
i found 1 instance of a studio "strange design" in my library on something labelled "free single" and i can say w/ utmost certainty that right now is the first time ive ever listened to it.  and chances are 99.99% positive that itll be the last.  not saying that its bad, just that its not what i reach for when i go to my library.

thats the one, off of the free single
i agree with faux that its pretty awesome.

http://www.phish.com/releases/detail.php?ID=28

PIE-GUY

What this Simple demo has always shown me was how great Phish is at bringing different influences together. The harmonies present on the country/bluegrass version went more or less unchanged when the song debuted in the middle of a Mike's Groove... then, with the rockin' riff established from Trey as the new basis of the song, it retains the bluegrass style harmonies. Then you'll hear similar bluegrass harmonies on real rockers like Birds of a Feather, which bears absolutely no resemblance to Bluegrass beyond the harmony. This is stuff that makes Phish Phish!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

emay