News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

When the shit misses the fan... [UPDATE]

Started by Ri©h, January 31, 2009, 07:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ri©h

So today at work I was involved in a minor accident.  Pulled up a little too close to a bulldozer while doing a favor for my supervisor.  The dozer operator, who I'm good friends with, didn't see me behind him like he usually does and unfortunately backed right into my scraper.  *SLAM*  Damn...  Not that much damage but enough that we had to come to a stop.

In the last 5 years of operating heavy equipment I have never had an accident.  Within minutes an army of foremen and supervisors were there assessing the situation. Conclusion was that we were both at fault.  So were are taken to the office for piss tests...  we both pass with ease.  We fill out paper work and explain what happened. Routine for an accident.

Final decision comes down:  We were both terminated.

I loved this job more than any other I've worked on. I sat and tried to negotiate with my supervisors and told them that this job was/is my life. I have a family to support.  All they could offer me was "sorry, company policy."

So now I have to go through the process of negotiating with the owner of the company because he's the only one that can overturn a termination.  He's unreachable until Monday. 

I sit here now, having told my wife who completely broke down, wondering what the fuck just happened to me.  This really sucks.  And not only that but I was partially responsible for someone else losing their job.  I have been presented with quite a challenge here. I've just been thrown a curveball...

Please...  this is not a pity party thread.  I'm just letting out the way I feel. On Monday I'm going to be fighting to get my job back.

Wish me luck.

whyweigh5.0

sorry to hear that.  I hope things take a turn for the better on Monday and you can talk the owner into keeping you
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

mattstick

Shitty news dude.

Things happen for a reason and sometimes you can't see it until much later.  Use the bad things that happen to you in life as an occasion to prove your worth and be strong - you can come out of this stronger and ahead of where you are now.

ytowndan

Sorry to hear this, bro.  Good luck on Monday!
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

fauxpaxfauxreal

What I don't understand, is why did they piss test you if you were going to be terminated anyways?

That seems like a waste of resources, or is there some kind of legal reason to do it?

That does suck.  I hope that the boss is in a forgive and forget type of mood on Monday.  I'm sure you and the Mrs. will pull out of this fine.  And if you do lose the job, think of it as an opportunity! (I know, harder to do in reality, than it is to say...)

Best of luck, mang.

mbw

good thing they dont test for valium  :-D
wishing the best!

Ri©h

Quote from: mattstick on January 31, 2009, 08:00:32 PM
Shitty news dude.

Things happen for a reason and sometimes you can't see it until much later.  Use the bad things that happen to you in life as an occasion to prove your worth and be strong - you can come out of this stronger and ahead of where you are now.

You see Matt, this is why we've been friends for such a long time. You know what's up. I told my grandfather, who immediately came to the house, about all this a little while ago and he said almost the exact same thing that you just said. He's also my lifelong hero and a brilliant man.

You got game, bro.  Thanks.  8-)

Ri©h

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on January 31, 2009, 08:03:08 PM
What I don't understand, is why did they piss test you if you were going to be terminated anyways?

That seems like a waste of resources, or is there some kind of legal reason to do it?

Like they said...  "company policy"   :roll:

That does suck.  I hope that the boss is in a forgive and forget type of mood on Monday.  I'm sure you and the Mrs. will pull out of this fine.  And if you do lose the job, think of it as an opportunity! (I know, harder to do in reality, than it is to say...)

Best of luck, mang.

Thanks.  :-)

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on January 31, 2009, 08:03:26 PM
good thing they dont test for valium  :-D
wishing the best!

LMAO...   :lol:

blatboom

kellerb

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on January 31, 2009, 08:03:08 PM

Well, if either person failed, it would be more evidence for the firing to be just/fair, and potentially not pay out unemployment $$.  The other reason would be that fault could be assigned to just one person instead of both.

HOWEVER, piss testing first kinda points to the theory that your termination is not really "Company Policy."  So, there may be more waggle-room for you to get your job back.

On the other hand, as Matt said--this might be the universe giving you a little nudge on the back toward the next greater thing.  Well, not a nudge exactly, it sounds more like a kick in the ass toward the next thing...

khalpin

Really sorry to hear that.  I hope things go your way next week.

Ri©h

Quote from: kellerb on January 31, 2009, 08:18:16 PM
On the other hand, as Matt said--this might be the universe giving you a little nudge on the back toward the next greater thing.  Well, not a nudge exactly, it sounds more like a kick in the ass toward the next thing...

True.  The guy I was terminated with is moving to Telluride to help build their new airport.  I may follow. The job in Telluride pays extremely well.  I'm still not going down without a fight.  Monday can't come soon enough.

blatboom

one strike policy seems so harsh but I don't know that industry at all.
but why would they be so eager to get rid of an experienced worker?  what I see in my business (HVAC) is companies letting go of the most experienced mechanics to keep the less experienced/cheaper guys.

sunrisevt

We'll all be pulling for you on Monday, Rich.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

nab

Good luck with the fight.  Seems to be something fishy here, I just don't know the industry well enough to put my finger on it.