News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

My views on the community

Started by DoW, May 05, 2006, 07:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoW

With all the rumors and discussions of whether or not Phish is coming back, I question whether I really want them to.  The community of fans is not what it once was.  I know you need to differentiate message boards and anything over the internet from real life encounters, but there seem to be an overwhelming number of negative people than people who just want to enjoy the music.

For me, Phish will always be about the experience of the people and the enjoyment of the music.  I was fortunate enough to realize at shows that while they were playing, I was in a world that could only bring me happiness.  When at a show, I consciously realized that there is no where that I'd rather be and I am thankful of that and happy I was smart enought o realize it before it was too late.

What I have seen in the community ever since the hiatus, I question whether the experience can ever be the same for me.  If I can't have that same experience, I am not sure I want to cloud my memories with anything less.

That is my Friday morning rant.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

gimmetela

I kind of agree with you, b.

The scene would be a lot different if they did come back.  I remember thinking, "look at all the young kids on the lot," when they were still touring--but then hindsight says, maybe I was just getting older.  The one thing that made Phish different was that the majority of the people that were at the shows were there for the music.  Unlike other shows (don't panic, it's just widespread.) where it seemed that the majority of the people were there to party.  I mean, of course there were tour rats that couldn't give two shits less about the music, and only wanted to make a buck and get wasted...you'll find that on any tour, or any show for that matter.  <start rant--and those assholes pissed me off to no end.  I was bustin' my balls to get through college in the late 90's, and still try to fit in my boys, and those wastoids were not only taking up space on tour, but spreading negativity, too?  Go home rat.--end rant> There were times that I felt intimidated (and sometimes still do) that I wasn't as knowledgeable about Phish and/or the music but that was also a huge draw for me...my life is a learning experience.

effin a right on realizing in the moment that there was no other place you would rather be.  THAT is/was the point, friend.  IF Phish comes back, enjoy your show, don't let anyone ruin it for you, you bought your ticket, you came to get down, DO IT!  There are some memories of past shows of things that complete strangers did to wrong me, bunk drugs, stealing the propane to my camp stove (why not take the stove? I mean I'm glad they didn't.) but those memories are only drawn up whenever I bring them from the back of my mind...otherwise when I think of pre or post hiatus Phish, it's the music...always the music, and I imagine it would be the same if they came back.

My concern about their possible return is that it will fizzle out again.  I can still physically FEEL the energy in Hampton during the NY run '03 if I think hard enough (looking for 1/3/03 is what brought me to the paug in the first place...) the Free--HOLY SHIT.  I think there is still some of my grey matter on the floor.  The crowd noise whenever they started YEM...the false start?  Trey all but telling us the shut up because they'd practiced the song.  I wonder if the mothership was really spinning, or was it just us?  By the end tho' I felt it was starting to fizzle out...hampton 8/9/04 was my last show...slowest 2nd set ever...but good god, I loved every second.  Beyond that, Trey would have to eat a lot of crow, some peacock, and a taste or two of teradactyl to reform with the boys...I would hope it would be his drive to play his guitar that would fuel his fire...not drugs if that's what got him down/out.

I personally do hope they come back, if they do it right, and they have the mindset to keep doing it.  It would be silly and kind of insulting to jerk us again.  I'm not sure they can, will, or even want to.  I miss 'em though.  Being pregnant for the dirty southeast part of the '03 summer tour...all I could think is "one day I will be able to share this with my child!"  And if they do come back, you'll see me and my son gettin' jiggy.  That's the truth.  Although I'm a bit older, I can show those new kids how to really get down, and if we don't teach the children...who will?

*decides no on the 3rd cup o joe*

DoW

I just think the expectations just outgrew the band.  People grew to expect every show show to be better than their best.  I skipped Coventry.  I think I kind of foresaw what was to come.  My last show was the Great Woods shows.  Looking back now, I am so glad it worked out that way.  Whenever I listen to Phish now (which is a lot), I relive that feeling I had at all the shows I attended. 

I also remember the energy on the NYE run at MSG & Hampton.  People were happy they were back, but it started to become short-lived.  I also remember them pretty much getting booed on 2/16/03 when the played Friday as an encore.  It was not an all out "boo" but it was as close as it was going to get to one at a Phish show.

Then I go back to all the TAB/Oysterhead/70VP, etc. shows.  The negativity in the lot sucked.  People went expecting to see Phish and Phish at its high point.  It just was not going to happen.  I'm going to catch one of the Trey/Mike/Duo & Phil & Friends shows because I think it will be a great musical experience.  I just hope that people appreciate it for what it is and not go there expecting to see somethign better than Dec. '95 Phish or Fall '97 Phish.  If you can't go there and have a good time, stay home and leave the tickets for people who WANT to be there.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

gimmetela

jonyem

In my humble opinion, I think the longer they stay away, the more you lose those folks that hurt the scene. I'm not saying it will purify, but over time they'll lose interest. I just don't think there was a long enough hiatus for the scene to chill, or go somewhere else. I mean, come on, they're all gonna go crash String Cheese lots? Anyway, maybe we'll see a return to smaller venues and tighter crowds because of the act of attrition. I think if Phish came back, with new material but no album, didn't go on Letterman and just went back below radar, you'd see that vibe return. But, if they do another Farmhouse (which I love) and promote the hell out of it, it'll be the same ol' no matter how long they're gone. Unless they're gone so long NO one care. (Which isn't very likely, but I felt the need to say it anyway).

that's my thought. (enter fauxpaxfauxreal to tear the shit out of a simple opinion).

August

Quote from: jonyem on May 05, 2006, 12:04:44 PM
that's my thought. (enter fauxpaxfauxreal to tear the shit out of a simple opinion).

:lol: he called you out!
a

sophist

oh snap!

what cha gonna do sucker?

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

jonyem

I will repeat, it's just an opinion, and not one I spent time researching.
Just felt like saying, and that's it.
And I'll grant you that I could be 100% wrong, but that doesn't matter, it's just what my gut says.
But my gut also said the Sox would get out of Game 6 in '86 alive. So...

sophist

:wink:   :roll:    :evil:

only kidding...
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

jonyem

and for the record, I was talking about ALL the opinions on this topic, not just my own.

August

here is my take, and it is quite simple.
i strongly believe that the scene will be worse.

the scene has been bad for a long time now, but if you dont get involved and do your own thing, there is a great chance that it will not affect you.
whe they come back, there are going to be alot of younger kids that never saw them or maybe saw them one or twice.does that ruin the scene? not really......
i saw the dead at twelve and phish at thirteen years of age and wasnt looking for trouble or drugs or anything like that.
i was completely blown away by the scene. i loved it. i really felt that i had found this sort of underground community and that made me happy.
fast forward to when i was doing drugs and getting older and seeing the "community" as all these different groups and not as one large happy family.....
"why does everyone roll by me and ask me if i want L, boomers nugs..whatever".
i never looked like a kid. i guess i looked like a custie or townie.
point being, alot of these new kids are prey for the older heads or scammers.
if they are smart enough, they wont be taken.
i guess as you get older, you realize that not everyone on the scene is free hugs and shit and that there are actually people out there that will take advantage of you if you let them.

anyway... i got side tracked...
the scene is just gonna be mORE of what already existed years ago.
MORE=WORSE.

a

jonyem

You're probably right, but I hope you're wrong Aug.
I've never really gone to a show of any kind FOR or to partake in the lot scene, just the music.
I'm the kind that when asked if he wants drugs or anything else just shrugs and keeps truckin'.
So, I guess in my own little world, it'll be fine, but on the outside maybe not so much.
Just as long as the scene doesn't cause them to be banned from any place, I really won't care how bad it can get.

August

thats how i roll.
i have my group, we drink beers, crank tunes and have a good time in the lot.
i guess i see alot of the scene rolling through the lot when trying to find a ticket.
a

jedifunk

personally, i'm at a totally different point in my life now... i could give 2 shits whether they come back or not... i'm not going on tour anymore, so its not like i'm waiting for the announcement so i can jump back in my car.

from a musical standpoint, i wouldnt be against their return, but i think there's plenty of material now that i could listen for my lifetime.

as for the scene, or community... well as much as it sucked in later years, its all what you make of it.  by the end i pretty much had forgotten that it exsisted.  i was just hanging with my crew, and hookin up with other crews inside the venues or in the hotels (i also think this is where the real shady shit started to happen-in the hoties).

i finally had plenty of non tour money, i had plenty of connections for party favors, and had tix most of the time.  really, the only reason i even went to lot was for the green crew meeting at 5:30...

so for me the "community" or "scene" was my circle of friends... and now that community is the paug.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jonyem

Can't argue with either statement, aug and jedi.
and I agree, it is what you make of it. every scene will have it's evil element, just happens when you get too many people together in one place.
and if the scene were anything like the 'paug the music might be an after thought.