News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Hawaii

Started by WhatstheUse?, May 08, 2023, 08:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatstheUse?

Have any of you guys been to Hawaii? Michelle has this "grand plan" (which I'm realizing actually means "no plan/vague idea w/ no research") to elope in Hawaii.

I know nothing. What are the advantages/disadvantages to each island? Where should we fly into? Uhhh... basically any info is appreciated because I know nothing.

Bring in the dude!

Buffalo Budd

We went to Maui and Oahu/North Shore in 2007. We rented a Westfalia camper to tour around Maui and it was relatively easy and cheap. There are tons of amazing hikes, beaches and rugged scenery to check out. Try to make it to Jaws if you can. North shore of Oahu was amazing, we only hit Honolulu to catch the Kokua festival but it was just another big city and could easily be skipped. We Airbnb'd across from Sunset beach. Waimea, Banzai Pipeline, Haleiwa (where some of Jurrasic park was filmed), etc.
I've always wanted to go back to visit Kauai as I hear it is the smallest and least developed of the islands so keep that in mind if you're looking for chill and tranquility. The weather pretty much stays the same and is often 80-90 degrees every day with a slight breeze.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mistercharlie

I've never been, but I know that Explore will work there too!
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

rowjimmy

Never been and no advice to offer but if I were going to Hawaii I'd insist on going to see an erupting volcano.

Hicks

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 09, 2023, 09:19:58 AMNever been and no advice to offer but if I were going to Hawaii I'd insist on going to see an erupting volcano.

Big island is where the active volcano action is and I prefer it to Maui, which is more fancy. The Hilo side of the big island where it rains all the time is super chill and less touristy. But you're still only a few hours from the Kona side where they have nice beaches and resorts. Those are the only two islands I've been to, wouldn't like to do Kauai next.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

PIE-GUY

I was in Kauai in 1986. I was 12. I remember it being beautiful. 

Glad I could help. 
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

cactusfan

The short answer is, you can't go wrong going to Hawaii. Just go. It's beautiful everywhere.

Oahu has Waikiki, so if you like tourists, that's where to go. More nightlight, of course. And the parts of the island that aren't Waikiki are a lot more chill.

Maui is in some sense the fanciest island. There's a giant extinct volcano to check out, and pretty beaches.

The Big Island of Hawaii is my favorite. There's an active volcano in the middle of it! If you're lucky you can watch lava flow down and into the sea. I wandered out to where it was going in and stood like five feet away from lava in the middle of the night. It was grand. Even if it's not active, there's all kinds of great hikes in giant craters and whatnot. The Hilo side is more chill. Waterfalls. Black sand beaches.

Kauai is the least built up, and very beautiful. The north side is probably where you'd want to stay. Great hikes. I did some trip where you paddle a canoe up a river, then hike inland to a waterfall.

Honestly, "elope in Hawaii" sounds like a great plan to me. You could wing the rest of it and not be disappointed.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: Hicks on May 09, 2023, 11:12:28 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on May 09, 2023, 09:19:58 AMNever been and no advice to offer but if I were going to Hawaii I'd insist on going to see an erupting volcano.

Big island is where the active volcano action is and I prefer it to Maui, which is more fancy. The Hilo side of the big island where it rains all the time is super chill and less touristy. But you're still only a few hours from the Kona side where they have nice beaches and resorts. Those are the only two islands I've been to, wouldn't like to do Kauai next.

I'm not sure if 'fancy' is the word I'd use for Maui. It was pretty rugged in 07 ot6her than a couple of town/cities. Great spot for camping, getting off the beaten path from what we experienced.
My brother lived in Kona for 6 months and said it was a little sketch with locals not wanting haoles there. They were jumped once and were lucky to get out without any major injuries.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

GBL

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on May 08, 2023, 08:23:57 PMMichelle has this "grand plan" (which I'm realizing actually means "no plan/vague idea w/ no research")

Does she have any other type of plans?  >:D
If this is love, I'm never going home..