News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R1/W01: 08-07-1993 Darien Lake Performing Arts Center, Darien Center, NY

Started by jedifunk, May 16, 2006, 09:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedifunk

ok here it is...

this weeks show is......... 8/7/93.
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=25232

Discuss
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

August

Quote from: august on May 16, 2006, 10:47:43 PM
i will try to get the show up tonight in mp3 form via sendspace...
stay tuned...
a

gimmetela

Hey guys, sorry about the thread jack, but Cleech is having a tough time getting logged back on and this thread has had the most activity lately.  He was having this problem right before week4paug went on "hiatus" and he still is having the problem...can one of you help out?  He asked me to PM jedi and/or tet.  Any advice?

August

tell him i baned him because he is trying to overthrow the Daily Download with his own...

seriously, i spoke to him about this this morning i dunno....  :?
a

jedifunk

looking to see what i can do right now...
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

gimmetela

Thanks guys,

Carry on!
Sweet dreams to me...

Dee

August

Hicks

Sweet idea guys, I've got the jump on y'all since I just listened to this one last week, but since it's one of my favorites, I'll give it another listen tomorrow morning! 

And Jedi, you might change your mind about archiving it after you give it a listen!  :wink:
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

whatapiper

so far im very impressed, the first set rages! tons of energy, like i said in the other thread, im listening to the AKG FOB which is SICK.  great recording.   ok, so far a very solid, rage fill3d and tight Llama opener.  bouncin is bouncin but tight nonetheless.  poor heart has some great work from page.  where the set heats up though is that stash. it has this trey driven "rise", which is the only way i can describe it.  great, great stash, very tight and unique.   reba i need to give a re-listen, i was tryin to figuere out how to make my pics smaller for the "post a pic of you" thread.  i liked the maze intro with whistling, how hard would that be? :-o 

so, i dont listen to much pre 97 either, not that i dont love/appreciate it, i just gravitate to yrs i saw alot of shows, and which happen to be epic yrs(97-98).  this will be a great way to reinvent myself with earlier phish, the years that got me into them in the first place.

gotta love a solid famous mockingbird, trey just floats across the neck.
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

August

August

8-7-93
Darien Lake, NY

First off, this is a great idea! I hope that many of us can come together and listen to these shows and be subjective.
If this is a weekly thing, maybe we can have the official "new show" announcement on Monday's???? Get your week going strong, perhaps?
Anyway, what i did for this is made a list of the set and made comments next to each.
That way, i devote my full attention to each tune.
Also, i volunteer myself to up the Mp3's for each show (if i have them).i think that is agreat alternative to those that dont want to download the entire show or it is not currently available on etree.
on to the show highlights for me......

llama,bouncing,poor heart- all played well.the solo for trey in poor heart was not one of his best, but still ripped.i would love it if he still had those bluegrass chops.

stash-a little part of the compose section wa shakey, but that was about it.really great jam.has summer 93 written all over it.i liked how they were going towards the end then went back into the jam section where they were......i liked how it was unfinished and went in to...

makisupa-btw, this recording is insane!i kept thinking that this had to be a matrix, because it just sounded like a board but was faintly chatty in the right channel.i listened with headphones and there were alot of parts were some guys were yapping away... :roll:
the rim shots were so nice sounding on this.....and trey was using an effect that had a reverse on his slapback......truly awesome effect and makisupa.very fast.

reba-solid version.great jam, but what did you expect? unfinished....or not....

maze- with reba whistling in the intro...nice! although page missed the first chords at the end of his solo, they recovered well from it.trey tore his section apart.great version.

forbin/mockingbird-cool version and narration.not too over the top, but real nice.

cavern closer....

2001- holy shit i called it! anyway, typical 93 version, although better than the july's.

mikes->kung->mikes- some secret language going on....definitely cool, but not completely mindblowing. the kung was great, but the mikes wasnt doing too much for me.it seemed forced in a way for them to be overly creative........imo

mws->avenu->sloth-great! and yes, the transition into the sloth is great.i loved when they still had setlists.for those that dont know, they ditched writing a setlist for each show right before fall 97 ........anyway, the sloth is one of my favs...real nasty version.

sparkle,my friend- nice my friend (my fav phish tune).i ma glad i caught one with the acoustic intro......no laughing ending, just a simple little fade out which was cool.

mcgrupp- great version! i like when they all get involved in the middle "page Jam" section. before the band comes back in,page is hitting some walls of the cave type progressions......this one was also unfinished...

purple rain-koo

antelope- typical 93 rippage.real solid.

carolina/la grange- mike is great on this la grange.they busted this out on 8-2-93 after not playing it for 302 shows!kickdown!they played it once more later in the week then shelved it untill 12-29-95!

great show!
i give it a solid B+
this is what summer 93 is all about.

so no reba ending, no stash ending,no hydrogen or weekapaug, no second MWS, no my friend ending and no McGrupp ending.....hmmmmmmmmmmmm....  :roll:

a

jephrey

I'm doing this...  Into bouncing right now.

Earbuds at work, had to use the EQ and turn up the bass.

Thoughts to follow this afternoon or tomorrow.

Thanks for the mp3s aug.

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

jedifunk

quick question for aug... are the sendspace mp3s entire sets or individual songs?  not that it matters...

i'm home sick today :( so i should have plenty of time to listen and respond
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

sls.stormyrider

I loved this show! High energy, rages. Page is a wild man.

I'll give my highlights and try not be be too redundant.

Llama: Really like the way most of treys solo was long notes instead of the shredding I am used to hear with this one.

Stash: What can I say? did they do an extra line in the intro? Great jam - just when you thought they were going to return to the theme and end it - surprise! nice transisition to MP. Did I miss the ending to stash - yes, but Phish is all about doing something unexpected

Reba - nailed it. almost perfect. surprise ending with whistling in maze was cool

Maze-another hot one. I thought I heard Trey teasing a line from Jimmy Page's solo in Stairway to Heaven about 5:50

McGrupp - very nice, loved Page

Mikes > The epitome of summer 93. Just doing crazy shit for fun.

my friend - nice acoustic intro

Antelope - classic summer 93 with Trey rippin' Page going wild in the background. There are better versions, but this is very good.

I would give it an A.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

whatapiper

We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong