News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Obama - Nobel Peace Prize

Started by guyforget, October 09, 2009, 11:03:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guyforget

Now, dont get me wrong, I was a huge Obama supporter during the election, and remain very hopeful that he will be able to accomplish much of what he set out to accomplish. 

But a Nobel Peace Prize, already?

Guantanamo = Still open
Iraq = "Time table," insurgents still killing civilians and foreign soldiers regularly
Afghanistan = Turmoil

The nominations for the prize took place only 2 weeks after he took office.  Does it add up?  Besides his Cairo speech and the G20 bit about ending nuclear proliferation, Im not sure what he's done besides not being George Bush. 

IMO, this is just more fodder for the right's "Obama is an international celebrity" campaign. 

Feels like a trap...  :|
-AD_

antelope19

It's a great honor, but I would agree with you.  It came as a bit of a surprise. 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

sls.stormyrider

while I agree that he has helped open diplomatic avenues,
it does seem premature.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

PIE-GUY

He's the commander in chief over the occupation of two war zones... it's crazy.

Plus, as one friend of mine stated, "I'd feel more peaceful with universal health care."
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

guyforget

His very quick speech / presser a few minutes ago was pretty humble and concise "I dont fee like I deserve this" and he took no questions.  Looks like the White House knows where they stand w/ this one, I think it could be a another Obama detractor to many of his critics.  He's not going to parade around about this one. 
-AD_

nab

Its not as if Obama nominated himself.

Still premature. 

jonyem

While it's a great honor, it is pretty early.
Perhaps they're lighting a fire under his ass to get more serious about world peace.
I look forward to the Republicans embarrassing themselves on this one. They'll get some support from the base, but they'll end up looking more out of touch than they already are. (If you can believe that's possible).

Hicks

Yeah I kinda had a wtf reaction when I heard about it.

I guess the competition wasn't too stiff this year. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

guyforget

Its certainly positive on several levels, mainly that the international community is getting over their disdain for the USA that we had been instilling throughout the previous administration. 

But, I think that Obama has some things to get moving on if he wants to live up to the honor. 

Im not saying that I dont think that he can do it, Im just saying that maybe they could've waited until next year when more might feel like he's earned it.  (If he can put the change together that he aspires to.)
-AD_

sophist

Quote from: Hicks on October 09, 2009, 11:48:12 AM
Yeah I kinda had a wtf reaction when I heard about it.

I guess the competition wasn't too stiff this year.
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

gah

Agreed, it might be a little early based on what he's done so far. But it could also serve as a, hey, we support what you're doing, and the strides you've taken to establish talks with the international community and for raising the status of the US after what GW Bush did. Now, you have the worlds respect and this great honor, lets see what you can do.

Besides, I don't think he'll let it go to his head. If anything, it will push him to work harder and make good on some of these promises he's made.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Alumni

Trying to persuade/shame Obama into being more committed to global justice. That is all.

And it won't work. Obama is not the leftist the word hopes he is (foaming right-wing radio hosts notwithstanding).
Cause I got a degree

antelope19

Quote from: goodabouthood on October 09, 2009, 12:28:02 PM
Agreed, it might be a little early based on what he's done so far. But it could also serve as a, hey, we support what you're doing, and the strides you've taken to establish talks with the international community and for raising the status of the US after what GW Bush did. Now, you have the worlds respect and this great honor, lets see what you can do.

Besides, I don't think he'll let it go to his head. If anything, it will push him to work harder and make good on some of these promises he's made.

So far?  Dude was nominated after 12 days in office!   :-)
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

gah

Quote from: antelope19 on October 09, 2009, 12:45:42 PM
Quote from: goodabouthood on October 09, 2009, 12:28:02 PM

So far?  Dude was nominated after 12 days in office!   :-)

Oh yeah, wait, what's this? So he was nominated less than 2 weeks after being sworn in?

Harumph...those Nobel people have lost all credibility with me.  :roll:

All he is saying, is give peace a chance.  :-)

Honestly, I don't care right now, this is too serious a discussion for the giddiness I'm feeling with that C-ville date being for real. Back to the other thread for me!  :-D

edit: http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1929395,00.html
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

rowjimmy

He should respectfully decline because, he's just doing his job.

Barring that, he should downplay it as much as possible in the states and recognize that it is a sign that he still has some stock overseas if he wants to get his diplomacy on.