News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

MLB 2009 y'all

Started by mattstick, April 06, 2009, 03:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fauxpaxfauxreal

LoL.  The Yankees.

I'm so sad that I missed the World Series (not really).

Superfreakie

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on November 06, 2009, 12:16:54 AM

You didn't miss anything, it was all a conspiracy.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: Superfreakie on November 06, 2009, 12:18:13 AM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on November 06, 2009, 12:16:54 AM

You didn't miss anything, it was all a conspiracy.

The Yankees conspire'd to win a World Series?  *gasp*  The drama!

G. Augusto

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_13722523?source=most_emailed

QuoteSan Francisco Giants pitcher Tim Lincecum faces pot charges in Washington

By Andrew Baggarly

Giants ace Tim Lincecum faces misdemeanor charges for marijuana possession after he turned over a small amount of the substance during a traffic stop near the Washington-Oregon border on Oct. 30, Washington State police said.

The 2008 Cy Young Award winner also was cited for driving his 2006 Mercedes 74 mph along a 60 mph stretch of Interstate 5 near Hazel Dell, Wash., police said.

After an officer detected the smell of marijuana, the two-time All-Star complied with a request to turn over 3.3 grams of the substance and a pipe from the car's center console. Because the officer did not judge Lincecum to be impaired, he cited him and allowed him to continue.

Lincecum, 25, entered a plea of not guilty through his attorney Monday, according to court records obtained by The Associated Press. He is scheduled to appear in court Dec. 22 and faces fines of $622 for the misdemeanor charges, police said.

Lincecum, a Seattle native, did not return a text message seeking comment. His agent, Rick Thurman, was in contact with Giants officials but also did not return text and phone messages. Giants spokesman Jim Moorehead said the team was "still gathering information and has no comment at this time."

Lincecum's bust is unlikely to impact his career. Recreational drug use is not punishable under Major League Baseball's current testing policy, although any type of drug conviction can lead to more frequent testing for performance enhancers.

Mr Minor

Quote from: Poster Nutbag on November 05, 2009, 01:20:55 PM
Quote from: Mr Minor on November 05, 2009, 09:04:25 AM
How do people get excited for the Yankees winning?  I know it's been almost ten years, but doesn't the way the Yanks buy players and such, rather than utilize the farm teams, take the excitement out of the win? 

I heard a great analogy this morning about it.  It's like an old Twilight Zone episode where this dude wishes he would win every pool match he plays.  The problem is, he begins to lose the excitement to the game because he already knows the outcome. 
I kind of feel like this is how Yankee fans should feel.  The excitement isn't in the winning anymore.

Fielders
Derek Jeter-Farm System
Jorge Posada-Farm System
Robby Cano-Farm System
Melky Cabrera-Farm System
Bret Gardner-Farm System

Pitchers:
Mariano Rivera-Farm System
Andy Petite - 1990 MLB draft by Yanks, but went to collage and played with Yanks as a rookie in 1996
Joba Chamberlain-Farm System
Phil Hughes-Farm System
David Robertson-Farm System
Phil Coke-Farm System
Alfredo Aceves-Farm System

I would like to see the age and how much these players played this season.  I would imagine the ones who play are old, the others rarely see time on the field are young and probably will never see significant time.  They will just find a vet player to come in for big money and play a couple seasons.

Quote from: mattstick on November 05, 2009, 01:29:20 PM
Petite was re-signed as a free agent.

So you've listed a small and mostly insignifigant portion of the roster, I guess you've proved the point...?  Also, being able to sign players to big contracts and then absorb them (Carl Pavano, the future AJ Burnett) is the luxury of the huge payroll, not just signing new players and keeping your veterans as they move into big contracts.

Exactly.

Poster Nutbag

Quote from: Mr Minor on November 06, 2009, 07:30:15 AM
Quote from: Poster Nutbag on November 05, 2009, 01:20:55 PM
Quote from: Mr Minor on November 05, 2009, 09:04:25 AM
How do people get excited for the Yankees winning?  I know it's been almost ten years, but doesn't the way the Yanks buy players and such, rather than utilize the farm teams, take the excitement out of the win? 

I heard a great analogy this morning about it.  It's like an old Twilight Zone episode where this dude wishes he would win every pool match he plays.  The problem is, he begins to lose the excitement to the game because he already knows the outcome. 
I kind of feel like this is how Yankee fans should feel.  The excitement isn't in the winning anymore.

Fielders
Derek Jeter-Farm System
Jorge Posada-Farm System
Robby Cano-Farm System
Melky Cabrera-Farm System
Bret Gardner-Farm System

Pitchers:
Mariano Rivera-Farm System
Andy Petite - 1990 MLB draft by Yanks, but went to collage and played with Yanks as a rookie in 1996
Joba Chamberlain-Farm System
Phil Hughes-Farm System
David Robertson-Farm System
Phil Coke-Farm System
Alfredo Aceves-Farm System

I would like to see the age and how much these players played this season.  I would imagine the ones who play are old, the others rarely see time on the field are young and probably will never see significant time.  They will just find a vet player to come in for big money and play a couple seasons.

Quote from: mattstick on November 05, 2009, 01:29:20 PM
Petite was re-signed as a free agent.

So you've listed a small and mostly insignifigant portion of the roster, I guess you've proved the point...?  Also, being able to sign players to big contracts and then absorb them (Carl Pavano, the future AJ Burnett) is the luxury of the huge payroll, not just signing new players and keeping your veterans as they move into big contracts.

Exactly.
I don't know how you can consider Jeter, Mariano & Petite insignificant or Posada for that matter... and you call it a small portion, but it contains 4 starters in the field, 3 starting pitchers, and our star closer... Petite won 3 games in the playoffs, winning 2 in world series; we don't win without Petite or Mariano or Jeter... The players on this list are far from insignificant...
Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

Mr Minor

^^ I think it's insignificant as it's only 3 players from a list of 11.  True, those guys are on the field, but my original point is they don't utilize the farm system like other teams have to. 

I don't like it, but it's part of the game of baseball.  I can't blame the Yankees for doing what they can to win.  It's the system that is flawed.
The game of baseball is the problem.  Until they fix the problem with using as much money as the team wants to do whatever they want, it won't get better.

Poster Nutbag

Quote from: Mr Minor on November 07, 2009, 08:14:54 AM
^^ I think it's insignificant as it's only 3 players from a list of 11.  True, those guys are on the field, but my original point is they don't utilize the farm system like other teams have to. 

I don't like it, but it's part of the game of baseball.  I can't blame the Yankees for doing what they can to win.  It's the system that is flawed.
The game of baseball is the problem.  Until they fix the problem with using as much money as the team wants to do whatever they want, it won't get better.
4 out of 9 players the Yankees put on the field start every game and on the days when Petite, Joba or Phil Hughes pitch we start 5 out 9 players from our farm system... How many guy's do you think every other team in the playoffs this year start that came from their farm system?? and we definitely utilized Phil Coke and David Robertson out of the bull pen...
Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

antelope19

Woot!  Adam Jones won a Gold Glove!!!!!!   :beers:
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Buffalo Budd

Looks like Halladay is on his way to the Phillies.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Mr Minor

SO the Yankees get Granderson and Jackson from the Tigers and we get one of their farm system players.

Another great example of the Yankees using their farm system.   :evil:    :-P

mattstick

There is a MLB Hot Stove thread, this thread should (and will momentarily) be locked.