News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

GDead Thread

Started by VA $l!m, August 26, 2005, 06:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA $l!m

i finished up my  raping of the 72 archives ~60 or so discs later... most of my picks i listed before; as for the rest of fall 72 i ended up picking up:
9-10,15,16,21,24
& 11-17,18,26
but as i said before a lot of these tours  are plagued by some serious mixing and recording issues; luckily i love this period enough to be able deal w/ most of the discretions.

Quote from: slslbs on September 09, 2005, 08:43:54 PM
Have you checked out 11/11/73? Someone mentioned it on the other thread. Amazing Dark Star>Eyes. A cool thing about 73 is that some of the jams contain snippets of what will eventually appear on Blues for Allah. This one has the "jam" section for the Music Never Stopped.

another classic show , much hyped for being a crispy sounding winterland show, and the dark star> eyes ...

though not my fav. of the period, def. a solid archive pick.  also try the 12-6-73 if you like 11-11. __third longest dark star ever included.____**EDIT**: add 11-17 as another choice pick from this tour --check out the classic segue : PLAyin>UJB>morning dew>UJB>Playin!!!!

which brings me to my next project :  73 __ oh boy!! i think i've found the grail !!
there almost is no point to recommending single shows from this year...as i've started streaming shows, almost every show is an  monster-3 set, groundbreaking masterpiece of musical expression that epitomizes what the grateful dead are all about.
say a prayer, hopefully i'll survive and report back to ya'll w/ my favs!!
but in the mean time go to archive.org/gratefuldead/1973 and start your DL!! :-o
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

VA $l!m

oh yeah , and as far as depletion of shows in certain years, id say off hand that  70, 72, & 74 are the worst , a lot of late spring/early summer stuff in all three are gone...who knows whats gonna go next , so grab 'em while you can...
summer 89 seems like it might be a prime target, i found some great consistency in quality and playing of these shows while browsing today... random pick: 5.6.89--frost amp. >one of the CRispiest DSBDs i've come across!
--ssliM.

horridrumaddict

alot of dicks picks are from 74, 3-23, 6-26, 6-28, 8-5, 8-6, DP7 is from some time in 9-9 through 9-11

Are they removing shows tha havent been released, or juat previously released stuff?

Update: I just looked though all of 74s SBDs, and the oly ones missing are the Dicks Picks. actually, all 3 of the shows from Alexandria Palace are available, and atleast one of them is DP7.  I would think that some of the october winterland run would be removed too, since the GD Movie is from that.  Or maybe I just need to brush up on the Taping policy.

VA $l!m

most shows that are from PArtial//or "compiled" releases such as the movie, or alexandria 74 which is a complilation of shows , are available...though there is a grey area, which is it seems that if the 'majority' of a show is on a dicks picks combo release, that the show becomes unavailable...such as pershinig aud. lincoln, ne 73 i think is an example...
sorry if that doesn't make sense...

but as for the other part of your question, some shows slated for future release are also pulled ahead of time i believe, such as 8-27-72, and i know the killer run from ~3-1-69~ got pulled ahead of time because of its official release.

sls.stormyrider

Also shows that were a major portion of releases got pulled, like many of the E72 and 2/27/69 (st stephen from Live Dead). What they say on their taping policy is that if representatives of the band feel it would be to their benefit to pull a certain show, than they will
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

horridrumaddict

As long as Ive known of the archive, the sbds of 3-23, 6-26, 6-28, 8-5, 8-6 have never been available.

VA $l!m

Quote from: slslbs on September 10, 2005, 08:30:04 AM
Also shows that were a major portion of releases got pulled, like many of the E72 and 2/27/69 (st stephen from Live Dead). What they say on their taping policy is that if representatives of the band feel it would be to their benefit to pull a certain show, than they will

it must be just random choice of the band like you say then , because the show that the eleven>(Death don't?) from live dead is on is still on the archive...
? :??---F-it i don't care , as of now there is still plenty to choose from , and its FREE!!!

BTW. that 4-12-78 DUKE show i mentioned the insane US BLues is from...THis show is a Freakin monster--CHECK IT OUT!!

rowjimmy

Quote from: VA slim on September 10, 2005, 12:39:15 AM
**EDIT**: add 11-17 as another choice pick from this tour --check out the classic segue : PLAyin>UJB>morning dew>UJB>Playin!!!!

You need to check this out if you've never heard it before. this sequence is a monster.

mattstick

11/2/84 is a nice sounding board, with a punchy performance.

VA $l!m

Allright i'm completely submersed in  '73  right now, and any overall clear favs. i can't deceminate completely as of yet, because they're all  practically perfect shows.
Though here's a couple of sweet ones for you; both are mint sounding C.Miller upgraded sources:

4.2.73 boston garden__a practically perfect show IMO, esp. if you got the 4 or so hrs to listen to it all!
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=12084
&
7.27.73 watkins glen sndchk.__ of course, a classic...
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=24944

-worth your time   :-D   .SliM.

sls.stormyrider

got 11/17/73 this weekend - heard PITB>UJB on the way to work this morning. Blew me away. Prob my favorite PITB, one of my fav jams ever  :-D
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

rowjimmy

Quote from: slslbs on September 12, 2005, 09:31:31 AM
got 11/17/73 this weekend - heard PITB>UJB on the way to work this morning. Blew me away. Prob my favorite PITB, one of my fav jams ever  :-D

I currently have about 30 of the best versions of this song (sbds only and no officially released vers.) on my laptop for forensic review and annotation (can anyone guess why?  :wink: ) This version is one of the first that came to mind when i started gathering my sources.

mattstick

Is Cal Expo 93 in that list?

rowjimmy

VA $l!m

a pair of  hot ones for you today:

6-16-74..check out the china>rider , and the eyes>big river(sweet segue!), and HEY!-- the Playin' RJ seems to already have checked out!^^^//i prefered the cribbs source.
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=23875

6-18-74..another 'obvious' recommendation, but sweet as ever. Freedom hall = da bomb.
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=12588