News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R11/W02: 06-16-1995 Walnut Creek Amphitheater, Raleigh, NC

Started by PIE-GUY, January 16, 2011, 04:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

This is the night when suddenly no song was safe from breaking wide open. No longer would it be Bowies and Tweezers that could be improv monsters. If Runaway Jim was open then the floodgates were open!! Enjoy!

Friday, 06/16/1995
Walnut Creek Amphitheater, Raleigh, NC

Set 1: Halley's Comet > Down with Disease, Esther > Ya Mar, Cry Baby Cry, It's Ice, My Mind's Got a Mind of its Own, Dog Faced Boy -> Catapult, Split Open and Melt

Set 2: Runaway Jim -> Free, Carolina, You Enjoy Myself[1], The Squirming Coil

Encore: Bold As Love

[1] Boyd Tinsley on fiddle; Oye Como Va teases.

Lossy:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=e64969679d601a07ab1eab3e9fa335ca2403a129852c0071

Lossless (with a little help from Aug seeding, I hope):

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=534811

Submitted Reviews:

1 - Augusten
2 - Pie Guy
3 - YTown
4 - Mirth
5 - MC Jezroc
6 - WTU
7 - Pnchundi
8 - McGrupp
9 - Sophist
10- Lifeboy
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

justjezmund

this pick is tits,  cant wait to check it again tonight. 
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

G. Augusto

ytowndan

Quote from: JustJezmund on January 16, 2011, 05:41:22 PM
this pick is tits,  cant wait to check it again tonight.

This!  Except I might not get to it until tomorrow.  Pumped though.  :beers:
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

zimbra

"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

rowjimmy

The show is awesome but the subject line is pretty good too.
QuoteRe: R11/W02: 96-16-1995 Walnut Creek Amphitheater, Raleigh, NC

McGrupp

Quote from: rowjimmy on January 16, 2011, 09:13:25 PM

I was waiting for someone to point it out.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

Lifeboy

Awesome pick. Haven't listened to this Jim in a few months. Fucking pumped for this.
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

PIE-GUY

Quote from: McGrupp on January 16, 2011, 11:49:03 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on January 16, 2011, 09:13:25 PM

I was waiting for someone to point it out.

I'd been watching football (read: "drinking") all day.

birdman

Nice pick Dave.
Haven't listened to this one in probably 10 years.
Paug FTMFW!

PIE-GUY

Friday, 06/16/1995
Walnut Creek Amphitheater, Raleigh, NC

Set 1:

Halley's Comet - Love that the show starts with Trey's baseball "CHARGE!" calls. Halleys' is short and sweet. Great opener.

Down with Disease - Trey flubs the lyrics a bit. Short jam as they all were at the time (at least until SPAC later that month)

Esther - Page sounds so good on piano in the instrumental sections. Trey is utilizing the Leslie quite a bit, too. Sounds so lush!

Ya Mar - nothing better. Love the staccato start to Trey's solo. Then there's the leslie again as he gets up and running. Love summer 95 for that shit!

Cry Baby Cry - surprising to say the least. Love the short jam at the end.

It's Ice - all page in the solo breakdown. Again trey with the Leslie as it builds back up.

My Mind's Got a Mind of its Own - fun!

Dog Faced Boy -> Catapult - Fish is ready for SOAMelt. Trey, not so much. These are both just tossed off for fun (probably just to annoy Fish).

Split Open and Melt - Great set closer. Solid rock jam.

Set 2:

Runaway Jim - 35 minutes and (like I said before) pretty shocking at the time. This was the jam that shattered the glass ceiling. We expected 30+ minute Tweezers and Bowies at this point, but Jim? Wow! The first 12 minutes or so keep a great tempo and energy. After about 13 minutes it starts to break down a bit. Still Fish keeps the beat going so it doesn't fizzle entirely. I like the Page elements to this jam best, I think. He keeps things fresh especially in the 19-22 minute range. This is where it really starts to break down. Trey is just making noise... not that I hate the noise, but I recall Mike saying the summer jams were a bit "starved for melody" this is what he means. The rest of it is spacey and definitely starved for melody. Again, I like it... don't get me wrong... but this Jim jam does get a bit hard to follow. I remember being so very thankful for what came next ->

Free - Such a welcome sound to hear out of that space. Trey's opening arpeggio just slays the crowd and sucks everyone back in. Such great rock and roll!

Carolina - yup.

You Enjoy Myself - All I will say about this is that Boyd tore it up and had the crowd in the palm of his hand... then he just walked off after his solo segment and everyone (especially Trey) was like "WTF?" It was so odd. He came out laid down this solo and just walked off. Anyway, this is a great YEM through and through.

The Squirming Coil - Ah yes. That's how it's done Page.

Encore: Bold As Love - and I will never complain of this encore.

I loved this show when I saw it. I was blown away. In retrospect it's not nearly my favorite from the summer. I like the Tweezer jams from Mud Island and Canandaigua better than this Jim jam. I also like the the Jim from 7/2 Sugarbush better than this Jim. It's also a monster, but it seams a bit more focused. This one is out there. Still, it was a great show. First set is all great, imo. Cry Baby Cry was a definite highlight. The YEM is great and Boyd holds his own in there. I give this show an A-. I was truly happy to revisit it.

PIE-GUY

also, how is it that last week saw 2/3 of the reviews rolling in by Tuesday while this week mine is first and it's Friday??

sophist

I will have my review posted tomorrow.  I plan to listen tonight with chemical assistance. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

PIE-GUY

Quote from: sophist on January 21, 2011, 03:31:22 PM
I will have my review posted tomorrow.  I plan to listen tonight with chemical assistance.

good call.

Lifeboy

1995-06-16

Halley's- Great opener. I'll tkae it any day.

Disease- alright. a few flubs. I'll take it here though

Esther- beautiful

Ya Mar- Yes! great placement

Cry baby cry- surprise.

MMGAMOIO- i'll take it. always love this tune.

Dog Faced Boy- love this tune

Catapult- love this one as well

SOAM- Perfect way to end the set. RAWK

Decent first set. Nothing special. I really liked the DFB>Catapult>SOAM sequence.
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke: