News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Possible external HD problem?

Started by ytowndan, July 12, 2010, 10:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ytowndan

I've noticed lately that when I listen to something off of one of my externals, it will skip like a badly scratched CD.  And by "skip" I don't mean that it will jump around, I mean it will awkwardly pause, start again for a second, pause, start again, etc.  Almost like it's buffering.  It won't happen right away, but if I throw on a show it will start acting up about halfway through the second set.  It's not guaranteed to happen every time, but it's getting more and more frequent.  Is this a sign that I need to buy another HD and copy everything over ASAP? 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

Superfreakie

Quote from: ytowndan on July 12, 2010, 10:55:46 PM
I've noticed lately that when I listen to something off of one of my externals, it will skip like a badly scratched CD.  And by "skip" I don't mean that it will jump around, I mean it will awkwardly pause, start again for a second, pause, start again, etc.  Almost like it's buffering.  It won't happen right away, but if I throw on a show it will start acting up about halfway through the second set.  It's not guaranteed to happen every time, but it's getting more and more frequent.  Is this a sign that I need to buy another HD and copy everything over ASAP?

ASAP. The thing is, you won't lose any of the info stored on the drive but the motor could be about to crap out. One good thing about that is that the info on the drive is 100% recoverable and fairly easy to do for a tech. I'm assuming you've used a different AC power source. That said, some drives have trouble with the way they are powered. I have heard of some people ripping drives out of their casing and plugging in a new power source which seems to do the trick. Good luck Dan.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Superfreakie

and if you try to transfer the info as the drive presently is, use copy and paste because if it halts and starts back up the pc copy should verify itself and fill in the blanks. [I believe. Could also be talking out of my ass]
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

ytowndan

Yes, it is powered by a separate AC.  It's a 1TB WD MyBook. 

Thanks for the advice.  I think I'll power it down, and order a new one.  +K  :beers:
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

DoW

lack of power seems about right.
after you get all your data transferred, don't forget to check the warranty and try to get a new drive out of it as well.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

mistercharlie

Quote from: ytowndan on July 13, 2010, 01:48:42 AM

Thanks for the advice.  I think I'll power it down, and order a new one.  +K  :beers:

It's things like that that have scared me away from getting the 1tb wd. I had read that they crash eisier than the 500gb ones. So those are what I use. I have always wanted to step up to the big kids table though.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

ph92

Quote from: mistercharlie on July 13, 2010, 09:04:57 AM
Quote from: ytowndan on July 13, 2010, 01:48:42 AM

It's things like that that have scared me away from getting the 1tb wd. I had read that they crash eisier than the 500gb ones. So those are what I use. I have always wanted to step up to the big kids table though.
2TB internals are the way to go son :-D

but naw, ive had this issue before, jsut back it up, and hope for the best, i could build a power supply for you :D 24V might be excessive, but it might also power the shit out of that drive :-D
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

jasonsobel

Quote from: phishhead92 on July 16, 2010, 02:52:18 AM
2TB internals are the way to go

this.  especially because Dell has a deal going on right now -> $110 for a 2TB drive.
and at $0.059/GB, That's the cheapest $/GB I've found, and I've been looking around for the past week or so.  I just bought two of them (one to mirror the other).  I currently have 3 of the WD elements hard drives (a 1 Tb and two 1.5 TB's), and they've all been good to me so far :)  hopefully these 2TB's will treat me right...

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/System_Drives/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A3098102
sing me back home before I die

DoW

my choice has been seagates 105 TB drives.
I recently stocked up from newegg at $79 apiece.

dell and newegg have typically always had the best proces in my experience.

ph92

Quote from: bvaz on July 16, 2010, 09:32:41 AM
my choice has been seagates 105 TB drives.
I recently stocked up from newegg at $79 apiece.

dell and newegg have typically always had the best proces in my experience.
how many TB?

and are dell reliable? cause i am in need of a new drive, their computers suck so hopefully they are putting more effort into their HDs
Make America Melt Again!

mattstick

Dell would only be selling you the HD, not manufacturing it.

ph92

Quote from: mattstick on July 16, 2010, 12:07:36 PM

oh i see, well do they have a good drive under that label?
Make America Melt Again!

DoW

Quote from: phishhead92 on July 16, 2010, 01:06:15 PM

the drives I have bought from dell have been seagates.

I use 1.5 TB drives personally.

just got another 4 bay enclosure with 4 new drives.  I'm good for a while.

ph92

Quote from: bvaz on July 16, 2010, 01:09:02 PM
Quote from: phishhead92 on July 16, 2010, 01:06:15 PM

the drives I have bought from dell have been seagates.

I use 1.5 TB drives personally.

just got another 4 bay enclosure with 4 new drives.  I'm good for a while.
raid enclosure? if so... linkage :-D
Make America Melt Again!

Superfreakie

Quote from: bvaz on July 13, 2010, 08:13:42 AM
don't forget to check the warranty and try to get a new drive out of it as well.

if you kick and scream they'll give you a new drive.