News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

AKRON/FAMILY

Started by Gumbo72203, June 16, 2009, 03:04:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gumbo72203

holy fucking shit.

This is absolutely fucking GENIUS.  these guys are brilliant.  I just HAPPENED to click on the link to an album review on RJ's site (http://www.rowjimmy.com/archives/418) and I'm absolutely floored.

I didn't know what to expect...  but i fucking love this.

they're so like......    misty.  and psychedelic.  and gentle.

they inhabit the first side of Meddle, before Echoes.  They're just playing on the other side of the field.  omg this is so cool.  

I usually HAAAAAATE stuff like this...   the minimalist folk solo artist kinda shit, but these guys are so inventive and unique...  omg this is so amazing.  wow.  thank you RJ.

i'm a little more than halfway through the SICK amoeba music in-store interview/performance thing...  "this time around"

this shit is so genius.  god damn.  i absolutely love this.  it vibes like Tom Petty's "Highway Companion" album does...  and I love that.  It has this bleak, poetic atmosphere...  but its not depressing.  Its...  mysterious.

its so cool watching them play these songs...  during one of the earlier ones, maybe the first one on the video, "River" i think, it felt like....   it felt like they were caressing silence, and coaxing out this gentle, breezy music out of the air, out of nothingness, and then let it drift gently back into non-existance at the end.  that was so cool.  I have NEVER been as enthralled and enraptured by someone playing an eggshaker.  

this is absolutely amazing.  I'm buying their records tomorrow.

edit:  they're playing Crickets now, and this is something i thought when i heard the first song on the video:  I HATE his guitar tone!!!!  I hate it!!!  Its so weird, because I'm thinking "why would you EVER actually SEEK out a tone like that?"

BUT!

It is absolutely CRUCIAL to their music.  Without that crazy treble tone, the music wouldn't have that mysterious hazy old-time feeling.  So damn.
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

ytowndan

They're top notch for sure.  I have some live shows, and a live DVD if you're interested. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

G. Augusto

Check out their "Love is Simple" album if your really want your face pan seared.

rowjimmy

Quote from: G. Augusto on June 16, 2009, 05:09:45 AM
Check out their "Love is Simple" album if your really want your face pan seared.

These guys have become a personal obsession of mine since aug hipped me to "Love Is Simple".
I reviewed that one here: http://www.rowjimmy.com/archives/109

I'm going to see them in August. Cannot wait.

Gumbo72203

oh shit thats sick

but yo its kinda weird, cuz these guys are SO just like the Grateful Dead, in a way.  Like, they have the very beautiful, soft psychedelic music, but their shows are like, WACKED OUT.  Like, really the only thing that got me to click the link was all of the shit I've read in every review or interview about the madness/whatever of Ed is a Portal, with the audience ending up all onstage 'n shit, and I watched a video last night where the bassist guy like, had his side of the room doing this crazy shouted rythmic thing, and then the guitarist had his side do something, and then they did like...  i forget what they called it, but they all ended up screaming into the mics 'n shit, and then they started actually playing it, and they were all jumping up and down like crazy and getting way into it.  it was nuts.

but these guys are so great.  I think they're going to be HUGE.  And their website is...  interesting...   the His/tory thing and the Akron World thing on the main page is tripped the fuck out in a big way. 

so what happened with this other, 4th original member?

%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

rowjimmy

He left to go live in a temple.. buddhist, I think but I'm not certain.

Speaking of Akron/Family and Grateful Dead, have you noticed the lightning bolt?

Have you heard them play "I Know You Rider".

They're also totally taper-friendly.

cactusfan

Quote from: G. Augusto on June 16, 2009, 05:09:45 AM

yes. i also owe thanks to august for hipping me to this album, which is too great for words.

have at it, gumbo!

MiamiPhish

I checked these guys out today, too, and I really dug the sound landscapes, if you will, that they created  -  I was listening to the stuff on myspace, all the while thinking they'd be a great band to trip to.

Gumbo72203

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 16, 2009, 09:33:33 AM
He left to go live in a temple.. buddhist, I think but I'm not certain.

Speaking of Akron/Family and Grateful Dead, have you noticed the lightning bolt?

Have you heard them play "I Know You Rider".

They're also totally taper-friendly.

yeah i know they're taper friendly and I also noticed the lightning bolt, and was confused by it lol

natronzero

Haha, welcome to the cult...

Go here if you haven't already: http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=524101
Sick show. Really, every show of theirs I've ever heard has been great. But from the handful from this spring that I've heard and from seeing them during South By, I think they're on a major roll.
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

Lifeboy

Just gave these guys a listen, and I am very impressed. Just ordered love is simple and  set em wild, set em free
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

Gumbo72203

So, they actually jam?

rowjimmy

You must listen to them live.

mopper_smurf

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 18, 2009, 08:00:09 AM

QFT!

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=524101 is still alive (currently two seeders, no leechers). Go! Go! Go!
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

rowjimmy

Quote from: mopper_smurf on June 18, 2009, 08:29:37 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on June 18, 2009, 08:00:09 AM

QFT!

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=524101 is still alive (currently two seeders, no leechers). Go! Go! Go!

I'm one of those seeders