News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Android Thread

Started by antelope19, September 30, 2010, 10:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

natronzero

Quote from: MeltMe on April 20, 2011, 10:09:37 PM

has anyone installed a custom rom on an android?

I rooted my HTC Hero a couple months ago with the intention of putting a version of Gingerbread on it (Eclair was the last official update and they have no intention of putting out any others for Hero).
I was able to root it successfully and use a couple of root-only apps, but I've never been able to install a custom rom. I always get error messages and don't really know enough to figure out what's going wrong.
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

Multibeast12

Quote from: iamhydroJen on March 08, 2011, 06:20:00 PM
I just got the Motorola Atrix and I can't seem to turn the phone on silent.  Even when it says it's silent, it vibrates.  I've tried to download an app, but it's still vibrating when I get a text and I'm afraid the kid sitting next to me in the library is about to hit me... can anyone help with this?
Shit i know this is beyond months late, but if you go into the text message settings > Notifications > Never Vibrate
the android 2.2 operating system got rid of completely silent because that are idiots.

MeltMe

Quote from: natronzero on April 21, 2011, 11:27:08 AM
Quote from: MeltMe on April 20, 2011, 10:09:37 PM

has anyone installed a custom rom on an android?

I rooted my HTC Hero a couple months ago with the intention of putting a version of Gingerbread on it (Eclair was the last official update and they have no intention of putting out any others for Hero).
I was able to root it successfully and use a couple of root-only apps, but I've never been able to install a custom rom. I always get error messages and don't really know enough to figure out what's going wrong.
did you use a one click rooter?  or did you go through the process manually?  I've been reading alot on rooting and installing different kernels and roms.  rooting seems to be the most difficult, but if you get that successfully, you should be able to do anything else.  seems when rooting, you run the highest chance of bricking your phone...that's the one thing that scares me.  I bricked a brand new router a few years ago and managed to save it after an hour, but that hour SUCKED!   that was a $60 router, this is a $500 phone.

probably gonna give it a go this weekend...
nothing i see can be taken from me...

guyforget

Quote from: postjack on February 17, 2011, 09:36:46 PM
thinking about picking up the HTC Inspire. I like my 3GS but am curious to try something different. I'm not eligible for an upgrade until 5/16/11 but thought it couldn't hurt to go down to the AT&T store and talk to them. I know some are able to get their dates bumped up.

i bought this phone yesterday, at a fucking target of all places, cheapest price around.  my target just got the wireless kiosk a few days ago, i was the first at&t upgrade they'd done, so i dont know how many targets out there have the same setup.  but i saved $20 on the phone. 

i havent dug too deep into it yet, but so far it seems to do everything i want and more. 

the only apps ive downloaded are dropbox, google docs, google talk, google voice, and oi file manager.  i doubt i need much more.  love the seamless integration w/ my other google services like calendar, reader, and gmail.  its a very smooth interface. 

wife got a 16gb refurb iphone 4.  have to wait for att to process and ship hers.  i had to play dreamcrusher and convince her that the white wasnt worth the extra $100 over the black refurb.  ouch, cold shoulder all day. 
-AD_

MeltMe

rooted!! and a custom rom installed!  was not bad at all...I went with the manual method of rooting since there's less of a chance of bricking it.  it's really just following instructions CAREFULLY. 

my thunderbolt is flying!!   I have the processor slightly overclocked in an on-demand mode.  I don't have that many apps installed yet.  but the ones I do have are: LTE OnOff (for toggling 4G), dolphin browser (it's tabbed), ASTRO file manager,  Titanium Backup, Superuser, Root Checker, Clockwork Mod Recovery.  I had a Light Saber app that was fun as shit, really did make the proper noises according to what you did.

I definately recommend rooting the phone and putting a custom rom on it.  Frees up sooooo much of the cpu  :wink:

ph92

Quote from: MeltMe on May 02, 2011, 10:52:12 PM
rooted!! and a custom rom installed!  was not bad at all...I went with the manual method of rooting since there's less of a chance of bricking it.  it's really just following instructions CAREFULLY. 

my thunderbolt is flying!!   I have the processor slightly overclocked in an on-demand mode.  I don't have that many apps installed yet.  but the ones I do have are: LTE OnOff (for toggling 4G), dolphin browser (it's tabbed), ASTRO file manager,  Titanium Backup, Superuser, Root Checker, Clockwork Mod Recovery.  I had a Light Saber app that was fun as shit, really did make the proper noises according to what you did.

I definately recommend rooting the phone and putting a custom rom on it.  Frees up sooooo much of the cpu  :wink:
I want to sooo bad but the Droid Pro has like no guides or anything on how to do that.
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

MeltMe

Quote from: phishhead92 on May 02, 2011, 11:49:38 PM

I want to sooo bad but the Droid Pro has like no guides or anything on how to do that.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/113476-rooting-droid-pro.html

ph92

Quote from: MeltMe on May 03, 2011, 10:49:23 PM
Quote from: phishhead92 on May 02, 2011, 11:49:38 PM

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/113476-rooting-droid-pro.html
Oh rooting is the easy on the D-pro, there are no official/stable roms for it though.

But tomorrow I am picking up a HTC incredible and then I will sell my droid pro. There are tons of roms and shit available for the incredible.
Make America Melt Again!

ytowndan

Gotta love the future.  I never thought I'd hear about someone "overclocking" their phone.   :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

MeltMe

Quote from: ytowndan on May 04, 2011, 04:17:43 AM
Gotta love the future.  I never thought I'd hear about someone "overclocking" their phone.   :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

it's snaps soooo fast it's just about instantaneous lol...like as I'm tapping an icon BAM!! it's open.  I have it set for a max of 1.2 Ghz, 1 Ghz is stock speed on mine....some guys have cranked it up to almost 2 Ghz.

I found this earlier:  A paid app for free everyday

UncleEbinezer

I am responsible for phone purchasing and after all of my tests, I finally started using the Droid Pro.  Loving it.  Apps so far...

MLB at Bat
AAA Discounts
Yahoo Fantasy Baseball and Football
Delta
Home Depot - haven't done anything with it yet
Key Ring - Actually pretty bad ass way to get those reward cards out of your wallet.  Its backed up for you too.
Yahoo Mail - much better than I expected
Google Music
NFL Mobile
Pandora
AAA Roadside
Weather Channel
Twitter
Words with Friends

If you are an AAA member, I would check out all of the apps.  They are actually pretty decent.
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

ph92

Quote from: UncleEbinezer on July 25, 2011, 05:08:07 PM
I am responsible for phone purchasing and after all of my tests, I finally started using the Droid Pro.  Loving it.  Apps so far...

MLB at Bat
AAA Discounts
Yahoo Fantasy Baseball and Football
Delta
Home Depot - haven't done anything with it yet
Key Ring - Actually pretty bad ass way to get those reward cards out of your wallet.  Its backed up for you too.
Yahoo Mail - much better than I expected
Google Music
NFL Mobile
Pandora
AAA Roadside
Weather Channel
Twitter
Words with Friends

If you are an AAA member, I would check out all of the apps.  They are actually pretty decent.
I had the D pro, watch out for the dust under the screen...
Make America Melt Again!

UncleEbinezer

Sorry for the cross post but figured it was necessary.

Quote from: UncleEbinezer on August 03, 2011, 08:44:11 AM
For those that use Chrome and a Droid I discovered the Chrome to Phone extension and app today.  Pretty slick way to send stuff from your computer to a separate app.  Haven't played with it very long, however I just tested a Google Map last night that I was able to send it to my phone and quickly access it via navigation.  I am sure there are there valid uses, but its seems pretty sweet.

UncleEbinezer

Google buys Motorola

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/google-buys-motorolas-smartphone-business-114927489.html

Also, lope...

Any chance you can change the Official Android App Thread to just Android thread.  Similar to the iPhone thread.  I have a feeling it will be getting more activity and an all encompassing thread makes sense.

antelope19

sure.

How are you handling all of the viruses that are coming out on the android platform?
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment