News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

OS X Mavericks

Started by VDB, January 10, 2014, 11:13:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDB

Anyone upgraded to it? Results?

I'm on the fence about whether to bother. For one reason, my machines are older and I'd be worried about performance issues. For another, the reviews on the App Store are full of horror stories from irate users.
Is this still Wombat?

mattstick

It's amazing.

It did kill a bunch of Apple Scripts on me, and I had an older (late-2008) Airport Express that became a brick with the upgrade - but the OS is rock solid and full of awesome.

VDB

Is it more than just the next extension of the Lion changes? I really like Snow Leopard (still have it on two of my machines; I have Lion on another) and dislike some things they did starting with Lion.

I do think tabbed Finder windows would be nice. And a menu bar on both monitors.
Is this still Wombat?

runawayjimbo

I've been waiting too since I got a notice from Western Digital saying there was a possible data loss issue when people updated. I think they said they fixed it, but still haven't pulled the trigger.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

sls.stormyrider

I'm going to do the upgrade when I have time to work with any screw ups that may happen as a result. Probably will go smooth, but I want / need to be proepared just in case.
I'm glad you mentioned the airport express issue - my Macbook is 2010 and airport express is 2010 or 2011 so I will have to check and make sure 1st
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

rowjimmy

tet

Been working very well for me - I love the power management features as I have a Retina MBP and the increased battery life/performance is absurdly good. 

I also love the tagging system for files, which has made organization of work stuff much easier.  Tabbed Finder windows are neat, as is the ability to have fullscreen apps in multiple monitors while keeping desktop active on another - this is something I've wanted for a while.  Essentially, if you want to plug HDMI into your Mac to watch LivePhish on the big screen and then browse the 'paug at the same time on the laptop screen, it's now super easy.
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

aphineday

I just upgraded, and I like it so far.
It has a nice feature to allow for mirroring the desktop to Apple TV.
Not a huge deal, but it seemed it might be nice for my Amazon Prime streaming, as it doesn't have a standalone app available on the Apple TV.
That said, it doesn't work for me at all, it just completely lags, and eventually freezes out, so that kind of sucks.
Otherwise, I haven't had too many ill effects here.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

PhishJY

I've been running it since the general release, and everything appears to work well.  But, I only used Mountain Lion for ~10 months, so I'm FAR from a pro on a Mac.
Quote from: nab on April 13, 2007, 09:50:05 AM
Honestly though, this whole post whoring thing is getting to be a little ridiculous.  But does having a higher post count make a cooler pauger?

sls.stormyrider

Finally upgraded from Snow Leopard (I'm old. I hate change)
Some minor glitches dealing with security logging into work (partly related to Google Chrome / Java) but I like it so far.
I'm not a "power user" so probably won't see the full effects of the upgrade, but so far things seem to be running quicker and I like the extra features that I've used
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."