News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Apple Airport wifi router really slow

Started by PIE-GUY, September 25, 2016, 08:20:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

So, my internet connection is really fast... here's a speedtest result on my desktop which is connected by cat5 to the router:

but anything connected through wifi clocks no more than about 15-20 mbps.

Any advice? This is something relatively new. I noticed the slower speeds in the last 2-3 weeks. WTF?
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

sls.stormyrider

strange.
I don't know what I am hard wired, but d/l through apple airport is 88.25 mbps
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

tet

There are many reasons you could be having issues with your Airport. 

One of the easiest to fix is:

• you are nearby other wifi networks using up a lot of similar network channels (very likely if in a large apartment complex)
  • you have devices in your household which are using a lot of similar or conflicting bands (think portable phones, especially base stations, universal RF remotes, etc.)

With any of the above situations, you will want to tweak your router's channels to make sure you get optimum reception.  Of course, distance matters a lot - the closer you are to it, the clearer your signal will be, and the faster it will therefore be.  Your devices also should be supporting the same advanced wireless protocols - the newer they all are, the better your range & speed will be. 

Also, you will want to make sure you are positioning the router properly.  It should not be against a wall or near metal, or any other wireless devices.  It goes without saying that you shouldn't have anything on top of or below the router, as that can also significantly interfere with the signals being sent out. 

You may just want to review an article like this to make sure you are setting everything up properly:  http://www.shilling.id.au/2014/05/05/airport-extreme-review/ 

Finally, if nothing helps, and you are getting awful speeds from wireless on all of your devices while sitting next to the router, you may need to replace the unit.  They do fail sometimes, but usually more spectacularly and just stop working instead of giving you slow speeds... 

another article on speed/channels/signal strength:
http://www.macworld.com/article/2014318/evaluating-the-strength-of-your-airport-network.html
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

mattstick

My Apple Airport started giving me slower than expected speeds and eventually started giving me an "over heating" error all the time.  I later replaced it with one of the Google OnHub routers which is ultimately a much better device.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: mattstick on September 25, 2016, 10:35:26 AM

My Apple Airport started giving me slower than expected speeds and eventually started giving me an "over heating" error all the time.  I later replaced it with one of the Google OnHub routers which is ultimately a much better device.

Yeah. Wouldn't surprise me if three years of "always on" would eventually cause some issues for any consumer-grade device.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

rowjimmy

Buried lede here.
You like the OnHub, Matt? Care to share any specifics that led to this conclusion?

kellerb

Quote from: PGLHAH on September 25, 2016, 11:32:37 AM

Yeah. Wouldn't surprise me if three years of "always on" would eventually cause some issues for any consumer-grade device.

I dunno, I've got a Linksys 54-"G" era wireless router that has been always-on for a decade or so.  Still truckin' when I retired it few months ago (It got trumped by the Lady's N-speed router).
Some of these things just want to sit there and cook.

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 25, 2016, 11:55:38 AM

Buried lede here.
Totally!

VDB

15-20 should still be plenty fast for most purposes. What's your ping on WiFi? I had experienced poor performance albeit with decent clock speed that I chalked up to too much latency, probably due to the large printer sitting between my laptop and the router four feet away.
Is this still Wombat?

mattstick

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 25, 2016, 11:55:38 AM

Buried lede here.
You like the OnHub, Matt? Care to share any specifics that led to this conclusion?

Yeah a few reasons. There are zillions of networks near me and I was concerned about interference. THe OnHub has technology to deal with that.

A lot of the higher end modems look like a military drone, I have my router sitting out on the A/V cabinet so I wanted something with an aesthetic design.

When I'm streaming content I can set either the Mac or AppleTV to be the priority device so my wife can refresh Instagram without jacking bandwidth away from what's on the TV.

Recently they added control for devices like my Hue lights through a browser via On.here so I can access their control without installing an app on whatever device I'm using.

ph92

Quote from: PGLHAH on September 25, 2016, 11:32:37 AM

But seriously, I have my router with custom firmware that will auto restart in the middle of the night to keep my connections fresh and let the device clear its temp data caches, it keeps everything running quick and smoothly.

You could also potentially look into the card in your device. Does your phone or any other devices have the same issue? Or just the computer?

I've seen intermittent connectivity and speed reduction as symptoms of imminent failure of wifi cards in devices in the past. Also It's worth mentioning that your hardwire goes straight to the mobo in most cases or some kind of daughterboard, thus an easy way to troubleshoot the wifi card.

But if you're experiencing issues on all devices then I'd look to the router/modem like you have been.
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH