News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

The WOB tax works in your favor

Started by guyforget, December 05, 2004, 12:32:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guyforget

Offers to seed in return for having your requests filled will go along way.  Not offers to keep sharing what we seed, or even offers to seed stuff that we dont have.  There are other people out there who may not have it, but would like to.  And you can help them.  So if you plan to ISO here, try to seed stuff in return.  If you havent noticed there are other people coming around who are also well known seeders around bt.etree.org.  Your requests have a higher chance of being fulfilled if you become an active contributer.  Think about it...  if you have questions about seeding torrents on your own you can find a wealth of information by using google, or, post your questions here.
-AD_

jedifunk

I 2nd this!!!!

It gets real old, seeing people who just registered for the sole purpose of ISOing.  At least make an attempt to seed something or see if you have anything anyone whats.

But I understand, I was once like you.  So lets get some more seeds going.  Share the wealth.  Enjoy the music.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

guyforget

If you ISO once and we seed your show; and then you ISO again and dont offer to seed anything, you stand little chance.  

:wink:  :wink:  :roll:  :roll:  :twisted:  :twisted:
-AD_

manofb

How does one seed a show?  Is it just opening the window of a completed BT?  If so,  no problem, I can seed....

Dirty Sanchez

I re-seed for the "stranded" on etree all the time.  But I'm also happy to help out here with anything I can.  I don't have any fancy program for converting WAV > SHN but here's my list, if I can help any project in any way let me know.  I have not posted any 2000 > 2004 PHiSH and lots of other shows I've downloaded / burned recently to my list, so it will be updated soon with lots more stuff.  I've not posted source info for many shows but I can email it to you...

db.etree.org/dirty%20sanchez

guyforget

Some people create torrents and seed shows themselves and some people re-seed what they downloaded when needed.  Both are great practices and I encourage anyone to participate in both.  

Really the bottom line is that this board is here for a community to interact and not for the people who started or who contribute to the week4paug.net cause to fulfill everyone's ISOs.  There are like 5 of us, and even between us we dont have *every* show in circulation, and we dont have alot of time either.  

I am more apt to notice a post to this forum if its made by a name I recognize as a contributor.  If you come to this forum with the intention of fulfilling someones ISOs you will find that your ISOs get more attention as well.  Even so, you may request a show that none of us have....  thats where more users comes into play....  and thats a whole new topic.
-AD_

RalphPa

Quote from: guyforgetOffers to seed in return for having your requests filled will go along way. Not offers to keep sharing what we seed, or even offers to seed stuff that we dont have. There are other people out there who may not have it, but would like to. And you can help them. So if you plan to ISO here, try to seed stuff in return.

Quote from: guyforgetI am more apt to notice a post to this forum if its made by a name I recognize as a contributor. If you come to this forum with the intention of fulfilling someones ISOs you will find that your ISOs get more attention as well.

I couldn't agree more with this.  Take a recent example.  I seeded a show for someone that they had been looking for, apparently for a good while.  In turn, I wrote the person and asked if they had a list so that maybe they could seed something for me.  They in turn told me that they have limited harddrive space and because of it were not able to seed.  What?  I then explained it takes the same amount of HD space to leech as it does to seed and then explained the simple steps to seeding a show.  In response, they admitted that they "don't know how to seed and that if I post to this forum someone else will definitely hook me up."  Nice attitude to have!

I used that one situation as an example, but it is becoming more evident to me that there are way too many leeches around here and not enough seeders.  The obvious bottom line is that people seem to be too ignorant to try and figure out how to seed for others.  This goes for the people who try and justify their contribution to the community by saying that they "re-seed" and never learn how to create and start a seed of their own.  That is definitely a positive thing and something that is needed, but more people need to learn how to seed.  There are definitely a good number of seeders already out there, but there should be more and the reason there are not more is that these people are apparently too lazy or ignorant to learn.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I agree 100% with guyforget's assertions and that if you expect to get people to respond to your ISO's, you should make sure you have a list and that you can seed a show for someone else and not always be a leech.

If anyone reading this wants to know how to seed, there are instructions here.  If you are having trouble and still have questions, send me an email or PM and I will gladly help you out.

phishead153

I would be happy to seed something...but i will be honest, i have no clue what im doing. on etree im basically a leech...i download a show, burn it, and then delete the file from my computer in order to free up space. but if someone could help me out, maybe give a quick tutorial, id love to share some shows.

RalphPa

Quote from: phishead153I would be happy to seed something...but i will be honest, i have no clue what im doing. on etree im basically a leech...i download a show, burn it, and then delete the file from my computer in order to free up space. but if someone could help me out, maybe give a quick tutorial, id love to share some shows.

Start with the link in the last paragraph of my last post and if you cannot figure it out and have questions, let me know and I will help.  You should definitely start on your own (and that link is very good, so I wouldn't point you there if I didn't feel like you had a good chance of figuring it out from there; when I first decided to seed that link did the trick and I didn't have any help from anyone) so that you have at least half an idea of what's going on so that if/when you ask questions, you will have a semblance of what you are doing.  Seeding a show really is a short process.  There are minimal steps and it is not very hard.

phishead153

alright thanks man...ill read up

DoW

I've grabbed hundreds of shows off bt.etree.org in the past.  I recently started visiting this board and see that I was able to fill a lot of ISO and/or Re-Seed requests.  It is very easy to upload a show via etree.  There is something to say as well to the satisfaction of seeing over 200 completes on a show you seeded that you may have grabbed off the same site within the year.

Keep in mind that there were around 3 "Project xx" running at the same time.  It is quite easy to miss a show especially if you were away for a few days.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

Set the Controls

I want to help/give back since The Iguana helped me with my request for 12/31/96 FM>DAT for my brother and nephew, but doing so may require some assistance here, too. I have at least a couple DAT sources (maybe more, I need to look around some more) that do not seem to circulate. The problem is I can't do DAT>CDR transfers anymore since my HHb 800 went down.

I have a MSC>DAT of 2/19/93 but there is bad diginoise in Loving Cup. Would someone want to try to transfer this and either try to smooth/pencil the diginoise (if possible), patch this source w/ the AUD for that song, or Matrix it?

I also have a MSC>Cass.>DAT of 4/21/92 that I would love to have on CDR (and is apprently an upgrade to what circulates). It cuts in Maze and does not include the encores, but they could be added from the AUD that circulates. Would anyone want to transfer/tackle this as well? I would like to give back/help, as I love the idea of this place and I am glad to have stumbled in here recently! If anyone can help w/ these, please give me a holler!  :-D

furnman24

I first want to say that what you all do between this site and bt.etree is awesome.  You have helped me to truly be able to experience my favorite band!!  I am new to this site, but have grabbed a lot of shows from bt.etree.  Similar to many responses that I have seen posted, I would absolutely love to seed any of the shows that I have grabbed but anytime that I start trying to figure out the process of seeding I get very confused.  A few users have sent me links of pages that contain tutorials - but I sometimes get lost in the language of the instructions.  Perhaps someone could start a forum to help explain the process to some of us who would love to share but get lost in the steps.  I think there are many of us in that situation.

digs5446

So count me in as someone who always keeps his seed window open until I've achieved a high ratio, but does not know how to re-seed a show.  I want to be able to hook someone up with a reseed request, seeing as though I've grabbed maybe 75% of all Phish shows in the past 7-8 months, thanks to a blazing fast connection and 3TBs of extra HD space.  Anyway,

I have a couple questions:

(1) For some FLAC shows I have deleted the fingerprint text files because, at the time, I didn't know what it was and was trying to de-clutter.  Does that mean I can't re-seed those shows?

(2)  For shows I downloaded in SHN format, I have since converted to FLAC and possibly deleted the MD5 checksum files.  So that presents two problems which I'm not sure can be remedied:  how do I know which shows were originally SHN so I can convert them back to SHN for reseeding purposes, and does the lack of MD5 files mean I can't reseed?

ytowndan

Quote from: digs5446 on January 13, 2010, 04:56:58 PM
(1) For some FLAC shows I have deleted the fingerprint text files because, at the time, I didn't know what it was and was trying to de-clutter.  Does that mean I can't re-seed those shows?

Not necessarily.  If you know what shn ID they are you can just go to that specific db page and copy/paste the ffps into a new text file, or just download the ffp checksum files and include them. 

If you don't know what shn ID they are, you can use trader's little helper to generate new ffps.  Copy one of the new ffp lines and paste it into the "Find any source" box on http://db.etree.org.  That will find the exact shn ID you're looking for. 

In both cases make sure you verify the ffp's, to make sure the files weren't altered in any way. 

Quote from: digs5446 on January 13, 2010, 04:56:58 PM
(2)  For shows I downloaded in SHN format, I have since converted to FLAC and possibly deleted the MD5 checksum files.  So that presents two problems which I'm not sure can be remedied:  how do I know which shows were originally SHN so I can convert them back to SHN for reseeding purposes, and does the lack of MD5 files mean I can't reseed?

Maybe I'm wrong, and if I am someone please tell me, but I don't think you can go SHN > WAV > FLAC then back into SHN and still have the original checksums.  I don't think they'll match.  And if that's the case, I'd just keep those for your personal collection and not share them. 

What I'd recommend is that you start keeping your filesets the same way they were when you downloaded them.  Archive them on DVD or an external HD, and then do whatever you want for your own listening purposes.  That way you'll have a copy of the original fileset that you can share down the line. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.